I can critique your audio and video editing

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
hey! looking for Some feedback and some advise to help my Channel Grow.
btw this is a collaboration channel. and not my main one. i could use some help over there as well Thanks for your time.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436894229][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is a link to my main channel. I don't have much up right now but, I just want to know if i'm headed in the right direction with the channel layout etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcFd8S152Yu2vl_1lyuTfA

Hi Dizo, thanks for sending this in.
Firstly I would say for the podcast that you probably need to invest in better audio equipment. The audio in this case is the direct priority and needs to sound tip top. I know that professional equipment isn't always accessible immediately, but there are also steps you can take to improve the audio as it is currently.

For a start I thought 1 particular voice was too quiet and could be turned up for future episodes, secondly I would recommend adding effects to the audio to make it sound punchy. If you've ever listened to professional podcasts, they have that effect of sounding really punchy and have an attack to them. Really, that's what you want to aim for, so take your podcast into audio software (something like audacity) and use a compressor for that effect.

For the video itself, I would recommend adding webcam views because otherwise there's no real visual medium for viewers to interact with. If you're uploading a podcast to YouTube then really you need something visual on screen.

Now for your main channel, there's not much available so there's not much for me to comment on. For your gameplay videos(like the hand of fate ones), I'd recommend adding some sort of commentary because there's nothing for me to engage with on those videos, where as on others on your channel (like the Elder Scrolls Online video) I did have something to engage with. The only other thing I'd say i improve your audio mixing on those videos as your voice does sound a bit quiet.

Anyway, hope that helps. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1437051885][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hello, audio is actually one of my main concerns on my channel so this could really help me out. I've provided my most recent video, there might be others where the editing might be a bit better but I'd prefer to show you this one to get the most advice possible. I won't say too much I don't want to sway your opinion so I'll wait for what you have to say. You're the professional :)

Hi Snormax, thanks for sending this one in. I'll keep more focused on the audio for this one since that's what you want more feedback on.

But first I'll just say that the way you structured the frame to put a 4:3 video onto a 16:9 frame is genius, keep doing that.

As for the audio, I thought that for most part it was pretty good. The mixing was well done and I didn't feel that the gameplay overpowered your voice at any time. The main issues come in technical problems mostly; I noticed a faint hiss in the background which bugged me a little. It's only small, but it's there so I'd recommend using noise remover tools in audio software like audacity to reduce and remove that hiss.

I'm not sure what the microphone you're using is, but something you may want to consider is adding effects to your audio. Since in a gameplay commentary the main focus is your voice, this is generally a good idea; in radio we usually use compressors to keep the audio topping off at a certain level and adding a punch to voices. Again, I'd recommend using audio software to compress the audio and add this effect like you'd hear in a podcast or something like that.

Other than that there was nothing I could find that was a main issue or that I felt could have been improves upon. Keep at it and once it's justifiable, get some new equipment and make your videos even better in the future. If you need anything else, feel free to contact me.[DOUBLEPOST=1437053332][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hope you have time to have a look on my latest editing and give me some tips on how to improve ^^ thanks in advance.

Hey man, thanks for sending this video in.

Now the first thing that caught my attention is the audio that you used. There were a few problems with the way you edited it that need to be addressed. When editing music, you could try and cut it so the music chimes in and out with the beat. The way you did it in this video seemed sloppy and distracting because I could clearly tell where you were making cuts to the audio. You want to make sure that audio clips don't just abruptly end and either fade into each other or cut into each other on the beat so I don't notice it.

The mix is also in need of some work, the music (which btw is a kickass choice) is too high and I can hear the audio distort really badly. Turn it down maybe just a smidge next time. Also at the end take the music down a bit more when you speak because I could barely hear you.

As for the video editing itself, I liked how you tried only to include action scenes in the video and tried to zoom in to the areas where action was taking place. I would say that you should try to smooth out the zoom effects though as they felt really jagged. Try using different keyframe types in your editor and you should get the right properties for that. I also felt that certain effects, like the shaking screen and the rather arbitrary screen blur, were out of place. You got it right when slowing video down at times when the music also toned itself down, so if you're going to add effects like that find a place where they fit rather than adding it in places where it feels rather random.

I did, however, actually really enjoy it a lot. Just those things that need some work and you've got a good formula for some really good videos. Hope this helped, feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: snormaxx and aka

ChaosUprising

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 26, 2014
YouTube
Hey there Switch! I think it's really great that you're doing this for the community. Please could I ask you to give me some feedback on this video? I know the audio cuts off at the end, I've tried moving the music around and reuploading it multiple times, but it wouldn't work (Hope it doesn't matter too much though!)

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hey there Switch! I think it's really great that you're doing this for the community. Please could I ask you to give me some feedback on this video? I know the audio cuts off at the end, I've tried moving the music around and reuploading it multiple times, but it wouldn't work (Hope it doesn't matter too much though!)

Hi Chaos, thanks for sending this in to me.

For a montage like this you really want to be cutting to clips on beat with the music. Like most shots really ring out to the audience when they're done with the beat or in line with a drop in music. Try and make sure that at least a good portion of your clips match with the music. If your clips don't align with the music perfectly, then you can try slowing down and speeding up your clips to match. I've linked a video below which shows pretty much what I'm on about with this.

Montages are the hardest forms of editing you'll encounter in YouTube gaming so don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get. If you ever find yourself frustrated with a project at any point, distance yourself from it. Go play some other games, or work on other videos. Then when you're feeling right come back to it and try work on it some more. Trust me, it's the best cure for work frustration :p.

I know you're aware of audio issues already and that's something you can hopefully address later. I'd recommend you check your video software's in and out points when you export as that may be why the audio/video cuts off. Also try using a fade out at the end which may make the cut off a little less awkward.

As for other points to make, you really need to make shots ring out with the audio too. I'd say try and get a sample of the sound effect for the rifle you're using and add that to be louder than all other sounds in the video. YouTube will usually yield some sort of results, if not then just take your loadout into a private game and while there's no other music or sound playing, shoot it once while recording. Remove the video from the audio and you've got a sample of the gun shot to use.

Hope this helped. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else :).

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Loved this vid bro very well presented.
I made this a lil while ago its my channel trailer would love people to check it out some time :)

View attachment 10140

Hi Leece, thanks for sending this one in.

I really liked this trailer, it was informative and pretty entertaining. I also liked your use of green screen, but be careful with this. I noticed there was a slight green glow around your head and neck area which I pretty quickly picked up on and needed to point out. Also, with the chroma key effect you've used, you need to be careful as to not blend parts of your body with the background as you have done here. You can tell because there's a noticeable blur around the outline of your body especially your hair. I'd just say experiment with it a lot to get it right; chroma key isn't an easy thing and it's one of the most time consuming singular effects you can do, but do it right and you've got yourself a winner.

For the green screen itself, you may want to light the screen to get rid of shadows like the one at the end. Just another light to light the shadow is ok, it's a really simple fix that sadly can't be done in video editing, but I thought it would be good for you the next time you use a green screen.

This is more a personal thing, but I didn't really like your background. I understand you're using a green screen in this video but you may want to consider using something a little less complicated and less flashy as viewers will get drawn away from you and your titles and more to the background. Generally a plain single colour or simple few colours is a good idea. The effects you used for introducing titles we're ok, but I was able to notice a cut off where the effects stops. This is especially noticeable in the sparkle effect you used for the titles and logos on the left of the frame. Try to find an effect that doesn't stop off at the very edge of the frame or (if you're willing to try master After Effects) you can try to create your own effects.

As for the audio, it was pretty spot on. The only issue I found was that the sound effects when they came up were far too loud for the video. They really overpowered your voice so I'd recommend turning them down a little bit. I hope these helped; if you need anything else then feel free to contact me :).

Reactions: LeeceGaming

LeeceGaming

Gamer - Entertainer
Freedom! Member
Hi Leece, thanks for sending this one in.

I really liked this trailer, it was informative and pretty entertaining. I also liked your use of green screen, but be careful with this. I noticed there was a slight green glow around your head and neck area which I pretty quickly picked up on and needed to point out. Also, with the chroma key effect you've used, you need to be careful as to not blend parts of your body with the background as you have done here. You can tell because there's a noticeable blur around the outline of your body especially your hair. I'd just say experiment with it a lot to get it right; chroma key isn't an easy thing and it's one of the most time consuming singular effects you can do, but do it right and you've got yourself a winner.

For the green screen itself, you may want to light the screen to get rid of shadows like the one at the end. Just another light to light the shadow is ok, it's a really simple fix that sadly can't be done in video editing, but I thought it would be good for you the next time you use a green screen.

This is more a personal thing, but I didn't really like your background. I understand you're using a green screen in this video but you may want to consider using something a little less complicated and less flashy as viewers will get drawn away from you and your titles and more to the background. Generally a plain single colour or simple few colours is a good idea. The effects you used for introducing titles we're ok, but I was able to notice a cut off where the effects stops. This is especially noticeable in the sparkle effect you used for the titles and logos on the left of the frame. Try to find an effect that doesn't stop off at the very edge of the frame or (if you're willing to try master After Effects) you can try to create your own effects.

As for the audio, it was pretty spot on. The only issue I found was that the sound effects when they came up were far too loud for the video. They really overpowered your voice so I'd recommend turning them down a little bit. I hope these helped; if you need anything else then feel free to contact me :).

Yeah there is no doubt of faults bud, i made this whilst still in the learning process of green screen plus with my current set up its hard to do my editing because the preview is very laggy. but i will be getting a new pc set up soon which is epic. but yeah thanks for the review mate :)

Reactions: SwitchBladeJay

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Yeah there is no doubt of faults bud, i made this whilst still in the learning process of green screen plus with my current set up its hard to do my editing because the preview is very laggy. but i will be getting a new pc set up soon which is epic. but yeah thanks for the review mate :)

Great to hear man and you're welcome. Good luck with the future content ad I really hope this helped :)

sygaming

Arynna
Freedom! Member
Jul 15, 2015
Turkey
YouTube
sarperyilmazer
I made all card designs,logos,banners by myself in this video by using adobe photoshop and sony vegas.But i still need some advice because my channel is pretty new(well my gaming project),i do start recording gameplays and livestream while new season games released

Scott_Plays

Respected User
Freedom! Member
If you could take the time to review my latest Lets Play that would be great! :) I'd like to point out though that I can't decide when to cut something, so most of my stuff our just straight up uncut. If you could point out timestamps for places you would edit something, I'd really appreciate it. I know that might be a little to much to ask for, so if you just end up reviewing the audio that's fine by me :)

Thanks again :)

Derpy Thunder

Professional Idiot
Freedom! Member
Oct 11, 2014
Manhattan, KS
YouTube
Hello there Jamie! I actually have a slightly odd request...
I present you with one of my videos. However, I am not necessarily looking for "critique" as I am "assistance". Allow me to explain.

A recent issue has surfaced and bonked me on the nose. That issue, is video fidelity - more specifically, in the FaceCam department. In the video below, the FaceCam (and game I suppose) become IMMENSELY blurry when the in-game camera is moved at high speeds. The issue is clearly visible around the middle portion of the video below - in case you don't want to watch the entire episode. This has infuriated me to no end, and the wonders of Google have left me completely in the dark on this one.

I use a Canon XA20 to record FaceCam in 35Mbps 59.94p, MP4 format. The game is typically recorded in 60fps, using DXTory with the UtVideo Codec (YUV420 BT.709 VCM) and I am editing in Sony Vegas Pro 13, with Resample disabled. The project settings match perfectly at 1080-60p (59.94), and I have tried using both Variable and Constant Bitrate (which I originally suspected to be the issue). The ONLY thing that tends to fix the issue is bumping the Bitrate to something ridiculous such as 135Mbps, but of course, YouTube did not take this sort of render kindly and crunched my video flatter than Pita Bread. I typically render in anywhere from 20 - 28Mbps, and Two Passing the video offers no result but waiting twice as long. De-Blocking helps the issue, but still presents a blurry outcome. I should also add, that this issue occurs in both the rendered video, AND the YouTube uploaded playback.

I was beginning to accept that I was stuck with blurry footage, and that was how it worked - UNTIL I saw many large name YouTubers alike having crystal clear FaceCam footage, seemingly untouched by the game footage itself, throughout the entire video. This was when I figured that I was either doing something incorrectly... or worst case scenario... simply using the wrong editing software. I am willing to accept that I may receive a giant "I have no idea", and that's perfectly fine. However, any advice / assistance / fix / information you could provide me with, would help an incredible amount.

I really appreciate the time, and look forward to a reply.
Cheers!

Last edited:

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
I would like input on one of my videos. I started learning how to use Adobe Premiere and Nvidia Shadowplay. Let me know if I should use Audacity for my voice and Shadowplay for game.

Hi Stew, thanks for sending this is.

I generally don't recommend using ShadowPlay because as far as I have been able to gather it's really meant to record clips of gameplay that you may have not been recording at the moment it happened. I'd personally recommend using DXTory, but with that being said I don't have much experience with ShadowPlay so my opinion on this is a rather amateur one so if it works for you then go ahead and do it.

As for your audio, I noticed that your voice sounded low quality. This may be an issue with you're mic, but more than likely your software is also causing some issues. Record your voice in a separate program like Audacity; you said that you were trying Premiere out, and if you are then I'd recommend another piece of Adobe software called Audition which is like a more advanced version of Audacity. If you don't want to do that then Audacity is fine. I'd recommend after you record your voice to add in effects like compression to make your voice sound a little more even and punchy in the final video.

I hope these helped. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1437666865][/DOUBLEPOST]
I made all card designs,logos,banners by myself in this video by using adobe photoshop and sony vegas.But i still need some advice because my channel is pretty new(well my gaming project),i do start recording gameplays and livestream while new season games released

Hi Sy, thanks for sending this one in.

Really the only criticism I can level here are with your intro. I thought it was too long and it probably needs cutting down a bit. It should stay on screen for a maximum of 5-7 seconds other wise people get turned away because the video hasn't started immediately.

Although really, there's nothing more I can really look at. It's a rather simple video and I understand that you're looking into recording gameplay later on down the line. When you do one of those videos, I can probably help you out a bit more, as for this one I really can't find much to comment about.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: StewTheRPGer

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
If you could take the time to review my latest Lets Play that would be great! :) I'd like to point out though that I can't decide when to cut something, so most of my stuff our just straight up uncut. If you could point out timestamps for places you would edit something, I'd really appreciate it. I know that might be a little to much to ask for, so if you just end up reviewing the audio that's fine by me :)

Thanks again :)

Hi Scott, thanks for sending this in.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the frame size of the video. You've managed to do this weird combination of things which puts a 16:9 widescreen video into a 4:3 standard frame. This means that anyone watching on a 16:9 screen will see the video look like a tiny portion of the screen. Fix that, you need to make sure the canvas in the editing is the same size as the video and when exporting that you're exporting to the same size as the canvas. Video like this won't cut it on YouTube anymore and people will turn away from your channel just because of this issue.

As for the audio, your voice I noticed had an echo with it. I'd recommend using a room with a lot more dampening items in it for recording. The general rules are 1) get a room with carpet 2) get a room that isn't completely parallel walls along the whole thing. I'd recommend for a non-professional setup to also find a room with fabric or leather furnature as the soft fabric absorbs sound and reduces echo.

Other than that, it was a good little video. Hope this helps and if you need anything more then feel free to contact me :).[DOUBLEPOST=1437667932][/DOUBLEPOST]
Feedback on my first video would be awesome, thank you!

Hi Hailey, thanks for sending this one in.

I really enjoyed it, like REALLY enjoyed it. I found it really funny and I liked how you told the story in the video. I also loved the art style, it was really creative and I liked how the visuals engaged with the voice over. The only issue I can find is with audio, and even that's not too bad. I'd just say turn the music down a bit so I can clearly hear your voice and you've pretty much got gold.

If you want to, you can also add some compression effects to give your voice the punchy "radio effect" but because the visuals compliment the audio it's not necessary and something you should consider if you really want to. Honestly, make more videos like this and I won't be surprised if we see you with hundreds of thousands of subscribers in a year or so.

Hope this all helped you out, feel free to contact me if you need anything else :).

Last edited:
Reactions: HaileySimone

Scott_Plays

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Hi Scott, thanks for sending this in.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the frame size of the video. You've managed to do this weird combination of things which puts a 16:9 widescreen video into a 4:3 standard frame. This means that anyone watching on a 16:9 screen will see the video look like a tiny portion of the screen. Fix that, you need to make sure the canvas in the editing is the same size as the video and when exporting that you're exporting to the same size as the canvas. Video like this won't cut it on YouTube anymore and people will turn away from your channel just because of this issue.

As for the audio, your voice I noticed had an echo with it. I'd recommend using a room with a lot more dampening items in it for recording. The general rules are 1) get a room with carpet 2) get a room that isn't completely parallel walls along the whole thing. I'd recommend for a non-professional setup to also find a room with fabric or leather furnature as the soft fabric absorbs sound and reduces echo.

Other than that, it was a good little video. Hope this helps and if you need anything more then feel free to contact me :).

Thanks I appreciate it! :) I try and fix the porblems!

StewTheRPGer

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Hi Stew, thanks for sending this is.

I generally don't recommend using ShadowPlay because as far as I have been able to gather it's really meant to record clips of gameplay that you may have not been recording at the moment it happened. I'd personally recommend using DXTory, but with that being said I don't have much experience with ShadowPlay so my opinion on this is a rather amateur one so if it works for you then go ahead and do it.

As for your audio, I noticed that your voice sounded low quality. This may be an issue with you're mic, but more than likely your software is also causing some issues. Record your voice in a separate program like Audacity; you said that you were trying Premiere out, and if you are then I'd recommend another piece of Adobe software called Audition which is like a more advanced version of Audacity. If you don't want to do that then Audacity is fine. I'd recommend after you record your voice to add in effects like compression to make your voice sound a little more even and punchy in the final video.

I hope these helped. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.

Thanks for your opinion. I recently installed Audacity and figuring out how to use it. Will prob record game video/audio with Shadowplay and voice with Audacity and then combine in Premiere.

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hello there Jamie! I actually have a slightly odd request...
I present you with one of my videos. However, I am not necessarily looking for "critique" as I am "assistance". Allow me to explain.

A recent issue has surfaced and bonked me on the nose. That issue, is video fidelity - more specifically, in the FaceCam department. In the video below, the FaceCam (and game I suppose) become IMMENSELY blurry when the in-game camera is moved at high speeds. The issue is clearly visible around the middle portion of the video below - in case you don't want to watch the entire episode. This has infuriated me to no end, and the wonders of Google have left me completely in the dark on this one.

I use a Canon XA20 to record FaceCam in 35Mbps 59.94p, MP4 format. The game is typically recorded in 60fps, using DXTory with the UtVideo Codec (YUV420 BT.709 VCM) and I am editing in Sony Vegas Pro 13, with Resample disabled. The project settings match perfectly at 1080-60p (59.94), and I have tried using both Variable and Constant Bitrate (which I originally suspected to be the issue). The ONLY thing that tends to fix the issue is bumping the Bitrate to something ridiculous such as 135Mbps, but of course, YouTube did not take this sort of render kindly and crunched my video flatter than Pita Bread. I typically render in anywhere from 20 - 28Mbps, and Two Passing the video offers no result but waiting twice as long. De-Blocking helps the issue, but still presents a blurry outcome. I should also add, that this issue occurs in both the rendered video, AND the YouTube uploaded playback.

I was beginning to accept that I was stuck with blurry footage, and that was how it worked - UNTIL I saw many large name YouTubers alike having crystal clear FaceCam footage, seemingly untouched by the game footage itself, throughout the entire video. This was when I figured that I was either doing something incorrectly... or worst case scenario... simply using the wrong editing software. I am willing to accept that I may receive a giant "I have no idea", and that's perfectly fine. However, any advice / assistance / fix / information you could provide me with, would help an incredible amount.

I really appreciate the time, and look forward to a reply.
Cheers!

Hi Thunder, thanks for sending this one in. This is quite a unique case here so I wanted to make sure I got all I need to help you.

Unfortunately this is one of those issues that seem to be based on computer glitch and therefore it's really hard to try and pinpoint let alone fix. Sometimes it may have to do with changes in the videos frame rate and field dominance and stuff like that so it may not even be controllable without entirely re-thinking how you go about making your videos. I can only really point you toward a few tricks I know/found out and just pray that one does the trick for you. This is an incredibly unique case and I have never really experienced an issue like this.

I noticed that the video looked more like 30FPS than 60 to me. Call it the way my eyes perceive the video, but it may also be down to some setting mess up somewhere down the line. I know that you said everything was already uniform and that Resampling was disabled but check back through everything and make 100% sure that everything is consistent. Also check your recording codec, certain codecs mess with the video frame rate and quality for how the creator intended it to look. I'd recommend the Lagorith lossless codec as it literally takes whatever's on screen and puts it into a video pixel per pixel. It's the one I've been using for years and it's never given me a single trouble in both 30 and 60FPS.

The game may also be slowing down at points during your recording; the issue is only really noticeable at certain points. Check the recording speed of your hard drive (try using DXTory's write benchmark) and if you have issues, try de-fragging your drive. Next time you record, also keep an eye on the FPS counter and make sure that the FPS doesn't dip below 60.

You may also want to try exporting your gameplay seperate from your facecam and check to see if the problem exists with the recordings themselves. If it does, then you may want to consider changing codecs. If all else fails, the last resort I can point you towards is new editing software. I used Vegas for a little bit during my time in editing houses and (with the exception of FCP X) it's one of the most glitched pieces of editing software I have ever used. I don't usually recommend turning away from your editing software since you've gotten used to it, hence why this is STRICTLY A LAST RESORT!!! I'd recommend trying out Premiere Pro since it's rather intuitive for newcommers and has plenty of keyboard shortcuts that make editing a breeze if you know the ones you need to. If all else fails then I'm afraid there's not much else I can do to help you out.

Please let me know how you get on since I know how annoying it gets when you find a problem that seems to have no fix. Trust me, the pain is real. Contact me if you need anything else.