I can critique your audio and video editing

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
I know you've got A LOT of requests, but would you mind giving me a video review? Just for quality and content. Obviously my newer videos are better than my old, but id still like to know where i need work

Hi Soul, thanks for sending thisone in. Don't worry about the number of requests I have, I respond to everyone regardless.

So I noticed a good few of your videos are Let's Play videos and because these videos don't really need too much video editing I'd recommend you focus on the audio for these videos and maybe make cuts during segments where the video may be getting boring.

For the Audio side of things, look into audio dynamics and compression. The main reason why I suggest this is because in Let's Play, one of the fore fronts of the video is the audio so you want your voice to sound like something off the radio so people are more interested in what you have to say. You achieve this effect through using dynamics effects in some audio editing program like Adobe Audition or the free Audacity. For the Let's Play videos I'd also suggest that you look into fixing the issue you seem to have with the frame rate as it looked choppy and really distracting to me.

Something I liked that really stood out to me was the Free Games With Gold series you are doing. It's a more original idea and I'd recommend you put more focus on that series and improve the production values of those videos. Again try messing with voice Dynamics and EQ mixing as well as introduce new video elements.

But I think your channel is really good. Really entertaining actually; it;s just a few minor tweaks and you're in for very nice videos. Feel free to message me if you need anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1439745084][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1439154434][/DOUBLEPOST]
What Can I do to improve

Hi BoyT, thanks for sending this in.

The main thing I'd recommend for you is to invest in new equipment. Your audio sounds really low quality and not up to scratch to what people expect. I know how much you'd really like to stick to the equipment that you already have (trust me, I was there) but the quality of YouTubers keeps in increasing and sadly it's just not good enough anymore. If you wanna improve then that's where I'd say you start. Look into good microphones on the cheap, stuff like the Blue Snowball is a great starting point but look around and make a decision based off reviews, recommendations and how much money you want to throw around.

If you need anything else, feel free to message me.

Last edited:

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
I could not find the radio effect :(, but I did change the audio up a little! Feedback would be nice :D!
-

Hi Jesse, thanks once again for sending me your videos.

The Radio effect should be under something like "Compression" or "Dynamics." It depends on what software you use.

For this video, good work on it again and good work on improving from last time. For the actual content of the video, I'd recommend doing topical discussion in editing the video rather than live during the gameplay (i.e. record the voice AFTER recording the video). That way you don't get distracted by the game and your commentary comes out better.

Focus on those little aspects to further improve on your stuff, and great that you're actively looking for feedback. With that kind of attitude, you're going places :p. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1439747240][/DOUBLEPOST]
Throw everything at me, I'm an artist and I know how to accept good or bad critique c:
In my opinion, the microphone quality is pretty good(I'm using cheap Acme hands-free earphones with microphone on cable, payed 5$ for it).
Mostly I'd like to know the bad stuff about my video.
Also how good is my English.
Thank you for giving your review services for free c:

Hi Ruupek, thanks for sending this one in.

For such a low price I have to say you've really outdone yourself with that mic. My only concern is that the price points to a really low build quality. Sooner or later that microphone might break and it may be very inconvenient to you so maybe think about looking into an upgrade sometime.

For the time being you may want to look into Dynamics and Compression see if you can improve the overall quality of the voice. Now as for the video itself there's not much for me to comment on. I'd say that if you wanted to you could try and cut out the parts of the video where nothing really happens to try and keep audience retention.

Hope this helped, feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Last edited:

Pigs Play MC

Love Games and God :)
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
Hi Jesse, thanks once again for sending me your videos.

The Radio effect should be under something like "Compression" or "Dynamics." It depends on what software you use.

For this video, good work on it again and good work on improving from last time. For the actual content of the video, I'd recommend doing topical discussion in editing the video rather than live during the gameplay (i.e. record the voice AFTER recording the video). That way you don't get distracted by the game and your commentary comes out better.

Focus on those little aspects to further improve on your stuff, and great that you're actively looking for feedback. With that kind of attitude, you're going places :p. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1439747240][/DOUBLEPOST]

For such a low price I have to say you've really outdone yourself with that mic. My only concern is that the price points to a really low build quality. Sooner or later that microphone might break and it may be very inconvenient to you so maybe think about looking into an upgrade sometime.

For the time being you may want to look into Dynamics and Compression see if you can improve the overall quality of the voice. Now as for the video itself there's not much for me to comment on. I'd say that if you wanted to you could try and cut out the parts of the video where nothing really happens to try and keep audience retention.

I am using screenflow BTW.

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hi there SwitchBladeJay :) I would take your offer and posted here one video for critique.

Because most of my videos are montages without me talking in them I am still unable to find good settings for mic audio and I tried my best at it (but if it was enough ...). So if you could tell me how bad/good I post-edit different audio levels and how to improve, I would be grateful :) (you can notice different audio levels during video as I was trying to improve it also during livestream on my end, so once you can hear cars and effects, other times not)

Hi Nu, thanks for sending this into me.

I really enjoyed this video and it was really funny. You've done so well as to earn a sub from me :p.

Because the video also has focus on comedy and video editing you've already done a great enough job so well done. If you want to improve audio, I'd say maybe take the music down a tiny touch and bring the other players up. I know that you took this from a livestream, but in future give that a shot. I also realize that you were trying to experience in this video, but for a solid video make sure that levels are consistent throughout.

Now one thing I generally recommend for gameplay videos is to improve your voice. Since your video is also focused on comedy and editing it's not 100% required but I'd recommend looking into Dynamics and Compression to give your voice the sound of the radio. People will hear that small change and be more willing to watch and subscribe so give it a shot.

But other than that, you've got a really fantastic video so good on you mate. You've earned a sub from me anyway, feel free to message me if you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1439748628][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am using screenflow BTW.

If that's the software that works for you then do it man; still it doesn't do much for audio editing. Take a look at a program called Audacity and edit audio in that.

Golden Bear

Artist|Designer|YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Mar 9, 2014
YouTube

Hi again, thanks for all that, means a lot to me. Yeah in that episode I didn't really use Audacity to add compression, normalize the sound and/or equalize it, but now I'm doing it, in my opinion, there's quite a big difference, watch my latest Alien Isolation part and I think you'll be able to tell that yourself.
About the microphone, I think I'll be getting Samson C01U as soon as I get enough money for it.
Also I think that recording the "facecam" with my phone would be better as I'd do it from a different angle and the quality would be better too.

NuSpirit

Freedom! Member
Hi Nu, thanks for sending this into me.

I really enjoyed this video and it was really funny. You've done so well as to earn a sub from me :p.

Because the video also has focus on comedy and video editing you've already done a great enough job so well done. If you want to improve audio, I'd say maybe take the music down a tiny touch and bring the other players up. I know that you took this from a livestream, but in future give that a shot. I also realize that you were trying to experience in this video, but for a solid video make sure that levels are consistent throughout.

Now one thing I generally recommend for gameplay videos is to improve your voice. Since your video is also focused on comedy and editing it's not 100% required but I'd recommend looking into Dynamics and Compression to give your voice the sound of the radio. People will hear that small change and be more willing to watch and subscribe so give it a shot.

But other than that, you've got a really fantastic video so good on you mate. You've earned a sub from me anyway, feel free to message me if you need anything else.

Thanks I am glad you liked it. Since I use(d) Razer Kraken 7.1 mic in those video, it will be fairly challenging to change it in the future (thanks to RazerSoft). That said, after reading your recommendation, I decided to grab Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ before next stream and recording so I can test it out and compare (and eventually keep it if it will be all perfect) :)

Also I found a reason why my voice was way above everything else and fixed it - different audio output levels (shadwplay capture 100% (my voice), game capture at 40-50ish% and skype was at 20%) - so now it will be hopefully better :D

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hi again, thanks for all that, means a lot to me. Yeah in that episode I didn't really use Audacity to add compression, normalize the sound and/or equalize it, but now I'm doing it, in my opinion, there's quite a big difference, watch my latest Alien Isolation part and I think you'll be able to tell that yourself.
About the microphone, I think I'll be getting Samson C01U as soon as I get enough money for it.
Also I think that recording the "facecam" with my phone would be better as I'd do it from a different angle and the quality would be better too.

Sounds like a plan dude, good luck to you :)[DOUBLEPOST=1439995877][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks I am glad you liked it. Since I use(d) Razer Kraken 7.1 mic in those video, it will be fairly challenging to change it in the future (thanks to RazerSoft). That said, after reading your recommendation, I decided to grab Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ before next stream and recording so I can test it out and compare (and eventually keep it if it will be all perfect) :)

Also I found a reason why my voice was way above everything else and fixed it - different audio output levels (shadwplay capture 100% (my voice), game capture at 40-50ish% and skype was at 20%) - so now it will be hopefully better :D

The AT2020 is a great mic, awesome starter for a studio mic and comes highly recommended from me. For audio recording, it can take some trial and error to get the right levels since you can't listen to or adjust audio on the fly while recording or setting up a recording. I'd recommend using software that splits the audio into different tracks which you can adjust in editing. DXtory is a screen recorder that does this and it makes it much easier to control every aspect of the video as shown here.
for the forums.png
You could also use seperate audio programmes to record different things and that works fine too. It's generally recommended because if you screw up in recording then it can be corrected in editing.

Last edited:

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
UPDATE:
I am now taking submissions to include video style as well as the technical aspects of the video like before so submit what you folks like :)

Hi, I'm Jamie. I've been studying as a media professional for well over 5 years now and have had enough experience to enter the industry both as a video editor and a radio host/engineer. I know what it takes to achieve professional results especially when it comes to video editing and audio work and I can critique your video's editing standard and audio fidelity.

Some feedback would be great! I hope im energetic enough in the video?! -

TSGPwner

Freedom! Member
Aug 10, 2015
Tennessee
YouTube
If you wouldn't mind too much, to tell a bit about my Channel Trailer, And then some of my other content if you want to poke around that much, it would be nice

Mortiel

Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Mortiel
UPDATE:
I am now taking submissions to include video style as well as the technical aspects of the video like before so submit what you folks like :)

Hi, I'm Jamie. I've been studying as a media professional for well over 5 years now and have had enough experience to enter the industry both as a video editor and a radio host/engineer. I know what it takes to achieve professional results especially when it comes to video editing and audio work and I can critique your video's editing standard and audio fidelity.

Hey Jamie! You seem to put some dedication into your responses, so I could not in good conscience pass up some solid feedback like this. So I was wondering if I could submit to you a "before and after" so you can tell me if you think I'm heading in a good direction. You don't necessarily need to watch the entirety of both videos (especially the first one that feels so painfully dry to me).

Before:

After:

Thanks!

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Some feedback would be great! I hope im energetic enough in the video?! -

Hi Jesse, thanks for sending this in, and sorry for me taking such a long time to take a look at this video. Personal stuff and work just got in the way. I realize that you've been waiting for a response for the longest so I appreciate the patience :).

At this point you're really got most of it down. Energy is not perfect but that's something I find has to come over time and practice so keep doing what you're doing and you'll get it. I'm not 100% sure if you're using compression this time around, since the audio sounds leveled but not very punchy. It's more a personal thing, but I'd recommend adding a punch to your voice through the compressor to bring it closer to what you may here on professional voice over work like radio or commentary. Do that and you've got the formula down.

I hope this helped, feel free to contact me if you need anything more.[DOUBLEPOST=1441213736][/DOUBLEPOST]

Would love your thoughts on my song! :)

Hi Kan, thanks for sending this one in :)

For the song, I actually really liked it, put a little smile on my face so you've done well with that haha. Great stuff for an acapella.

As for the video itself, I do have a few points to level towards a few things you could have done a bit better. The first is making cuts and edits a bit more frequently. There were a few times where I thought that certain parts could be better cut short, like at the beginning when you were removing the place, to save time and keep the viewer from dropping off the video. Then there were sections taht could have been filmed a bit better like the shot at the beach. I couldn't hear very much of what was being said because of the extreme wind on the clip.

I realise that audio probably would be very difficult to edit in that case, so parts like that could have been re-filmed or cut out entirely for the sake of video quality. Next is the transitions. There were certain transitions where the video would stop or the next video would fade in paused. Try to avoid that to keeping the video flow; you can do this by transitioning a few frames later or earlier depending on which clip is pausing.

Finally, that ending. Please add a fade or something to it because it just kinda cuts off and it makes it feel really jarring. I think that videos should always end with a fade out because it signifies the end of the video and just adds that extra professional feel to the video.

Anyway, that's all I could point out. I quite enjoyed the vlog so keep it up. As always, if you need anything more then feel free to let me know :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kan

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
UPDATE:

I would love some feedback jay! Hows the overall video quality? Am I just energetic and relaxed enough!? I think so at least....what do you think bro? -