I can critique your audio and video editing

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
UPDATE:
I am now taking submissions to include video style as well as the technical aspects of the video like before so submit what you folks like :)

Hi, I'm Jamie. I've been studying as a media professional for well over 5 years now and have had enough experience to enter the industry both as a video editor and a radio host/engineer. I know what it takes to achieve professional results especially when it comes to video editing and audio work and I can critique your video's editing standard and audio fidelity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Possum n' Pawesome

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Some feedback on my channel trailer would be nice :)
Hey man, I loved this trailer. I think that whilst not technically amazing, it did it's job just fine. I would say that I commend your use of title text for the video (I know some people that wouldn't go near their second video layer with a bargepole) but the overall use of the text I feel is a little redundant considering the nature of a channel trailer. I say this because I checked out some of your other stuff and it doesn't look like you use text in them. If you are going to use text, try to use a good font that's easy to read but not boring to the viewer. Check out a website called Dafont which has loads of cool fonts to use.

The main downfall with this trailer is the audio which I find is something very easy to mess up (I do so all the frickin time XD). I found that the the audio of your mic was rather poor. This may be because you're using a headset microphone, which is ok but there are things you can do to make it sound better. For a start, try to record at the appropriate sampling frequency; studio recordings get to 44100hz and you can easily adjust the quality of your mic from the audio settings on your computer and and good audio recording software (like Audacity). If you can't get to 44100hz then try get as close as possible. If you're using a desktop or studio mic then that's all the better, just double check to make sure that the settings are set up to get the best out of the mic.

Then you may want to consider adding some effects to make the audio sound a bit more punchy. Because of the nature of your content, your voice needs to sound professional because that's arguably the most important part of the whole video. You can add a punchiness using a compressor in audio software (again Audacity does this) and while it may seem daunting to get the hang of at first, a few good youtube tutorials can help you use one.

As for the music, try to use something without lyrics because the lyrics distracted me from what you were saying. You have the partner badge so take advantage of the Freedom music websites because I only use music from those i my videos.

Finally, your audio mix was almost on point; I'd just recommend lowering the music a tad because, again, that should really be the forefront of the video. BE CAREFUL because this is also very easy to mess up. Try NOT to use commercial headphones/earphones because they have automatic equalisers in them making audio sound better than it actually is. You can get a pair of nice studio headphones for dirt cheap. I'd recommend Sennheiser HD201's because they don't have equalisers, and retail for about $20 in the US. They are well worth the investment for the extra quality they give to the video.

Anyway, hope that helps. Feel free to reply or message me if you need anything else :)

StealthyWolf52

The WolfArmy will rise!
Freedom! Member
Jul 23, 2014
YouTube
Hey man, I loved this trailer. I think that whilst not technically amazing, it did it's job just fine. I would say that I commend your use of title text for the video (I know some people that wouldn't go near their second video layer with a bargepole) but the overall use of the text I feel is a little redundant considering the nature of a channel trailer. I say this because I checked out some of your other stuff and it doesn't look like you use text in them. If you are going to use text, try to use a good font that's easy to read but not boring to the viewer. Check out a website called Dafont which has loads of cool fonts to use.

The main downfall with this trailer is the audio which I find is something very easy to mess up (I do so all the frickin time XD). I found that the the audio of your mic was rather poor. This may be because you're using a headset microphone, which is ok but there are things you can do to make it sound better. For a start, try to record at the appropriate sampling frequency; studio recordings get to 44100hz and you can easily adjust the quality of your mic from the audio settings on your computer and and good audio recording software (like Audacity). If you can't get to 44100hz then try get as close as possible. If you're using a desktop or studio mic then that's all the better, just double check to make sure that the settings are set up to get the best out of the mic.

Then you may want to consider adding some effects to make the audio sound a bit more punchy. Because of the nature of your content, your voice needs to sound professional because that's arguably the most important part of the whole video. You can add a punchiness using a compressor in audio software (again Audacity does this) and while it may seem daunting to get the hang of at first, a few good youtube tutorials can help you use one.

As for the music, try to use something without lyrics because the lyrics distracted me from what you were saying. You have the partner badge so take advantage of the Freedom music websites because I only use music from those i my videos.

Finally, your audio mix was almost on point; I'd just recommend lowering the music a tad because, again, that should really be the forefront of the video. BE CAREFUL because this is also very easy to mess up. Try NOT to use commercial headphones/earphones because they have automatic equalisers in them making audio sound better than it actually is. You can get a pair of nice studio headphones for dirt cheap. I'd recommend Sennheiser HD201's because they don't have equalisers, and retail for about $20 in the US. They are well worth the investment for the extra quality they give to the video.

Anyway, hope that helps. Feel free to reply or message me if you need anything else :)
Thanks for the advice. I am using Audacity and a headset mic. I guess I could do some more to make my voice sound better as all I am doing is removing the hiss at this moment. I simply would have to look up how. I don't have the money to get upgrades atm but am working on it. I'll take into account my music choice in future channel trailers when I make them. Thanks once again :)

Reactions: SwitchBladeJay

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Thanx m8 would love feedback to help me improve.

Hi Goucho, I thought that this video could have been potentially very enjoyable, but there are some very crucial points that bring it down. For the video itself, I like how you decided to edit out most of the matches to get to the points with the recon drone, but there were some points where I felt the clips really dragged on for too long and it sadly made me lose interest. I'd also recommend being a little sharper with the edits and trim out little seconds of the video where you show points which don't seem to add much.

The main problem I find with this video is the audio which is something I see loads of people mess up all the time. Your game volume is way too high and needs to be brought down to accommodate your voice. The voice needs to be the forefront of the video so make sure that people can hear it. I also noticed a hiss in the beginning of the video with your microphone; any good audio program like Audacity or Audition (I recommend Audacity because it's free :D) has tools that allow you to remove hiss from your audio. While we're on the topic of audio editing, I think your video could benefit from a few audio effects like compression. Professional voice over audio has this punch in the speakers voice which can be achieved with compressors, and you can find compressors in audio programs (again Audacity). It's a small thing but it's what helps separate you from the rest.

As fro general tips, I'd say that for audio mixing try not to use consumer headphones/earphones because they contain equalizers that make audio sound better than it actually is. A good cheap pair of studio headphones can be bought for about £15 on amazon (I recommend the Sennheiser HD201's which are a great pair of starter headphones for mixing).

But other than all that I'd say that the video was a pretty good idea that, looking past the technical issues, I really enjoyed :). I hope this helped you out, if you need anything more then feel free to contact me through the forums.[DOUBLEPOST=1436623548][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some Feedback Would Be Nice.

Hi Phoenix, I thought that the audio was pretty solid because most of the music and game sound was pretty . I have no problems saying that you did a pretty good job with the audio mix.

As for the video editing, I do have some issues regarding the video content. Firstly the onscreen video title card (the GTA V Hulk funny moments image) stayed on screen for much longer than it needed to. I'd recommend that it should stay on screen for 5 seconds at the very most; any more is too long. Secondly, I felt that the clips were way too long and need to be trimmed down a bit. A lot of the dragged on long after they established what was going on in the shot and made the video rather boring for me. Try trimming those clips down a bit, or cutting some out altogether. It'll make the video tighter and trim out the parts that made me want to switch the video off.

Anyway, hope that this helped you out. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else :)

Last edited:

BBphoniex Gaming

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2015
India
YouTube
BBphoniex
Hi Goucho, I thought that this video could have been potentially very enjoyable, but there are some very crucial points that bring it down. For the video itself, I like how you decided to edit out most of the matches to get to the points with the recon drone, but there were some points where I felt the clips really dragged on for too long and it sadly made me lose interest. I'd also recommend being a little sharper with the edits and trim out little seconds of the video where you show points which don't seem to add much.

The main problem I find with this video is the audio which is something I see loads of people mess up all the time. Your game volume is way too high and needs to be brought down to accommodate your voice. The voice needs to be the forefront of the video so make sure that people can hear it. I also noticed a hiss in the beginning of the video with your microphone; any good audio program like Audacity or Audition (I recommend Audacity because it's free :D) has tools that allow you to remove hiss from your audio. While we're on the topic of audio editing, I think your video could benefit from a few audio effects like compression. Professional voice over audio has this punch in the speakers voice which can be achieved with compressors, and you can find compressors in audio programs (again Audacity). It's a small thing but it's what helps separate you from the rest.

As fro general tips, I'd say that for audio mixing try not to use consumer headphones/earphones because they contain equalizers that make audio sound better than it actually is. A good cheap pair of studio headphones can be bought for about £15 on amazon (I recommend the Sennheiser HD201's which are a great pair of starter headphones for mixing).

But other than all that I'd say that the video was a pretty good idea that, looking past the technical issues, I really enjoyed :). I hope this helped you out, if you need anything more then feel free to contact me through the forums.[DOUBLEPOST=1436623548][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi Phoenix, I thought that the audio was pretty solid because most of the music and game sound was pretty . I have no problems saying that you did a pretty good job with the audio mix.

As for the video editing, I do have some issues regarding the video content. Firstly the onscreen video title card (the GTA V Hulk funny moments image) stayed on screen for much longer than it needed to. I'd recommend that it should stay on screen for 5 seconds at the very most; any more is too long. Secondly, I felt that the clips were way too long and need to be trimmed down a bit. A lot of the dragged on long after they established what was going on in the shot and made the video rather boring for me. Try trimming those clips down a bit, or cutting some out altogether. It'll make the video tighter and trim out the parts that made me want to switch the video off.

Anyway, hope that this helped you out. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else :)
Thank You For The Feedback i will work on the video part.

Reactions: SwitchBladeJay

Goucho1uk

Freedom! Member
Dec 20, 2014
www.b2zclan.com
YouTube
Thanx m8y, will take that on board. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1436647803][/DOUBLEPOST]

But other than all that I'd say that the video was a pretty good idea that, looking past the technical issues, I really enjoyed :). I hope this helped you out, if you need anything more then feel free to contact me through the forums.

Good point about the edits. I was intending to show how **** i am also but you are right, i should just get the action. Do you think I should use transitions or just cuts?

The voice over i do at the start has been thru audacity noise removal :( I thought i got rid of the hiss. Saying that some of the footage is old and has hiss plus wrong volume levels. Thanx for the constructive feedback much appreciated :)

Last edited:

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Thanx m8y, will take that on board. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1436647803][/DOUBLEPOST]

Good point about the edits. I was intending to show how **** i am also but you are right, i should just get the action. Do you think I should use transitions or just cuts?

The voice over i do at the start has been thru audacity noise removal :( I thought i got rid of the hiss. Saying that some of the footage is old and has hiss plus wrong volume levels. Thanx for the constructive feedback much appreciated :)

How you transition your videos is more of a creative choice and "which creative choice is better" is a question with a subjective answer. Therefore I try to only focus on the technical aspects when it comes to feedback. That being said, however, I'd personally recommend using cuts because technically speaking, in theory it jars the viewer and that in turn accentuates the comedy when put in the context of your style of videos.

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube

Hi Jimmy, pretty nice clip you have there.

Since there's not much to comment on for the video editing, I'll just stick to the audio side of things. I can tell that your mic is too close to your mouth because you can hear the pops and distortion especially in your T's and C's when you speak. Try to keep a good distance from the microphone when recording. Also when you raise your voice, I noticed a distortion. Try to lower the volume or gain of your microphone too; from the sounds of it you may be using a less expensive mic so it may be very difficult to do so, but keep at it and keep experimenting and you'll eventually find a good sweet spot.

As for the overall mix, you may like to bring the game volume down a bit because there were a few moments where it overpowered your voice. Other than that, it was a good clip and I had a little giggle at it :p If you need anything else, feel free to contact me on the forums.[DOUBLEPOST=1436723584][/DOUBLEPOST]

Here you go good sir , all feedback is welcome ! :):):)

Rejand, this is a a very polished video. I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it and I was laughing my ass off throughout. Most of my feedback can be leveled to "keep doing what you're doing" but I will give a few points where I feel you can improve to make the videos just that little bit better.

The FPS counter in the top left you could probably do without; I'm not familiar with chivalry so if that' not possible then you can just ignore that. I also noticed that certain voices in the video were a little low and you may want to turn them up just a little. Also you may want to try turn off the in game sound for chivalry because there was a point when I could hear it clash with the background music you used.

Other than that I really enjoyed the video. Thank you very much for sending it to me and I'll probably end up passing it on to a few people that may also enjoy it. As usual feel free to contact me through the forums if you need anything else :).[DOUBLEPOST=1436724527][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would be interested! thank you for doing this! Thread stickied! :)

Hi Kan, thanks for sticking the thread, it really means a lot :). I also really liked the video, it's a really heart warming tale of how you managed to overcome your problems with health and changed your life for the better and I really admire that.

On the technical side of things, I also found a lot to enjoy. I liked the pacing considering the voice over, and I really liked the way you transitioned from clip to clip. Normally I'd recommend against using flashy transitions but you did so in such a way that wasn't intrusive and didn't detract from the video.

As for audio, I think you could have done a little more with the music. Maybe bring the levels up when you stop talking so it becomes the forefront of the sound. I would also say that the sounds of the camera where you're exercising could also come down a bit too. From a technical standpoint, you want to convey the message of getting healthy so it's important that the priorities for you are 1) You talking 2) The music 3) Everything else, but there's also a bit of creative choice in there so it's good to play around with it and experiment.

But other than that, you did a very good job with it especially considering how short it is; you've even managed to convince me to try at exercising again (that's saying something because I'm generally a lazy schmuck :p). Great job overall, and if you need anything more then feel free to contact me through the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rejand and Kan

JimmyPlease

sort of like watching a car crash in slow motion
Freedom! Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hate to break it to you, but that isn't even my audio. I took another (actual) video and remixed the audio as a joke.

The audio quality is pretty ****, though.

xDIZOx

We're all Gamers, hey!
Freedom! Member
Jul 3, 2015
Brooklyn, New York
YouTube
xDIZOx
hey! looking for Some feedback and some advise to help my Channel Grow.
btw this is a collaboration channel. and not my main one. i could use some help over there as well Thanks for your time.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436894229][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is a link to my main channel. I don't have much up right now but, I just want to know if i'm headed in the right direction with the channel layout etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcFd8S152Yu2vl_1lyuTfA

snormaxx

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2015
YouTube
Hello, audio is actually one of my main concerns on my channel so this could really help me out. I've provided my most recent video, there might be others where the editing might be a bit better but I'd prefer to show you this one to get the most advice possible. I won't say too much I don't want to sway your opinion so I'll wait for what you have to say. You're the professional :)

aka

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Dec 5, 2014
YouTube
Hope you have time to have a look on my latest editing and give me some tips on how to improve ^^ thanks in advance.