I can critique your audio and video editing

Pigs Play MC

Love Games and God :)
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
Hi, I'm Jamie. I've been studying as a media professional for well over 5 years now and have had enough experience to enter the industry both as a video editor and a radio host/engineer. I know what it takes to achieve professional results especially when it comes to video editing and audio work. I can critique your video's editing standard and audio fidelity.

I would love some feedback and advice! -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m3QM4Hvv4

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hey how about my channel triler?
I dont know if it tells much about us

Hey J, (I'm going t assume it's only one of you posting this here). Thanks for sending this in.

I didn't really like this channel ad. I didn't feel like it sold the chanel very well. It mostly was gameplay of different games with music over it. I'd recommend including some sort of audio from the clips so people get an undrestanding of what your channel is about (i.e. include some of the commentary from the Battle Block video you've featured). You also want to try include a "call to action" encouraging people to subscribe. So during the trailer add a subscribe button the viewer can click at any time and at the end encourage them to subscribe by adding a larger one. That way you can drive more people to subscribing.

Anyway, hope this helped. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1438446675][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would love some feedback and advice! -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m3QM4Hvv4

Hi Jesse, thanks for sending this one in.

I will applaud you for creating a video that's not a full SG game and actually going in to edit it some. The first major thing I came across when watching was the opening. There's nothing inherently wrong with the intro itself but I'd recommend against using one as people get very bored when they see it and will switch off (check your audience retention stats, you usually see a drop off of viewers during the intro). Then there's the fade into the actual video itself, you faded into you talking which generally isn't a good idea; try making the fade shorter and fade in to before you start talking so the audience can clearly hear what you say.

Transitions is also something that needs to be worked on, it's all good having this pro software with all the flashy transitions but there is going overboard and sometimes it's really easy to do. Pick a transition that's simple and use that throughout, that'll give you a professional feel. As for audio you may want to sort out some mixing elements; I thought the game sound was too high so you may want to bring that up in your editing software.

The rest of the video was fine though, I thought the video quality was pretty good as well, but you may want to try turning up some bitrates a little as it it did look low quality when blown up to full screen. Other than that, it was pretty solid. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1438447104][/DOUBLEPOST]
would be cool if u check my vidi if its to loud / or if i press to fast the next text section of the story (i read very fast ;e)
ond for other stffs aswell^^

Hi Xellius, there's not much for me to comment on here so I'll just let you know that the text is slightly fast so you may want to consider slowing down a tad and the audio is fine for this video.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.

Last edited:

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
Hey J, (I'm going t assume it's only one of you posting this here). Thanks for sending this in.

I didn't really like this channel ad. I didn't feel like it sold the chanel very well. It mostly was gameplay of different games with music over it. I'd recommend including some sort of audio from the clips so people get an undrestanding of what your channel is about (i.e. include some of the commentary from the Battle Block video you've featured). You also want to try include a "call to action" encouraging people to subscribe. So during the trailer add a subscribe button the viewer can click at any time and at the end encourage them to subscribe by adding a larger one. That way you can drive more people to subscribing.

Anyway, hope this helped. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1438446675][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi Jesse, thanks for sending this one in.

I will applaud you for creating a video that's not a full SG game and actually going in to edit it some. The first major thing I came across when watching was the opening. There's nothing inherently wrong with the intro itself but I'd recommend against using one as people get very bored when they see it and will switch off (check your audience retention stats, you usually see a drop off of viewers during the intro). Then there's the fade into the actual video itself, you faded into you talking which generally isn't a good idea; try making the fade shorter and fade in to before you start talking so the audience can clearly hear what you say.

Transitions is also something that needs to be worked on, it's all good having this pro software with all the flashy transitions but there is going overboard and sometimes it's really easy to do. Pick a transition that's simple and use that throughout, that'll give you a professional feel. As for audio you may want to sort out some mixing elements; I thought the game sound was too high so you may want to bring that up in your editing software.

The rest of the video was fine though, I thought the video quality was pretty good as well, but you may want to try turning up some bitrates a little as it it did look low quality when blown up to full screen. Other than that, it was pretty solid. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1438447104][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi Xellius, there's not much for me to comment on here so I'll just let you know that the text is slightly fast so you may want to consider slowing down a tad and the audio is fine for this video.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.
Hello, my bitrate is at 5000 what do you think I should raise it to?

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Thanks for putting this thread up! I really appreciate it! :D

Here's a video review of Nothing To Hide. Is there anything needed to be fixed (like, organization, order, etc.?)

Thanks again, @SwitchBladeJay! :)

Hi Possum, thanks for sending this one in.

I really enjoyed the review, quite in-depth and very interesting to a game that I've never seen before. Good job man. I can't really fault the editing as really the only issue here is with the audio mix. The music you used was WAY too loud so I'd recommend turning it down in the next video. I rather enjoyed the editing style, but I'd recommend trying to get higher quality images for the edit as sometimes the look put me off a bit. The last thing is the sound effects broke up the video more than it needed to especially in the intro. Try to make them flow without leaving too much room for silent, dead air.

But yeah man, that was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it other than these issues. If you can fix them then you're on the right track my man. Feel free to contact me if you need anything else.

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
Hi, I'm Jamie. I've been studying as a media professional for well over 5 years now and have had enough experience to enter the industry both as a video editor and a radio host/engineer. I know what it takes to achieve professional results especially when it comes to video editing and audio work. I can critique your video's editing standard and audio fidelity.

Some feedback on my new war thunder video would be nice :D
-

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Think you missed mine :(

No worries though!

Ahh Christ, sorry man. I genuinely have no idea how I missed yours. Entirely my fault, I put it to me just being a massive dunce for the past week or so XD.

I really liked the channel trailer, made me laugh a bit and put the point across about the channel (games and explosions and whatnot XD). I really liked it. The Witcher video is also great, but I found it too lengthy for my tastes. You can keep audience interest by cutting out parts of the video that aren't really important and allowing the viewer to see only that parts that they want to see. I realize that for this particular style of video doesn't really require much editing, but that's my whole take on that; feel free to ignore that advice if you like the video better without cuts.

One main thing I can recommend is using compressor effects to your voice. I can see you're using an Audio Technica AT-2020 (the mic I'm using at the moment :D) so to get that in-studio/radio professional/punchy effect, I'd recommend using a compressor in an audio program like Audacity or Audition. That way your mic will give you crisp sounding audio with that awesome "radio effect" that you hear in a lot of big name YouTuber's videos.

Another thing is FPS; I noticed that your video was in 60FPS but I couldn't really see it. In fact I saw more lag than anything. It may be a problem on my end, but make sure that the video you're making is recorded, edited and exported as a 60FPS video. Going under at any one of these stages means that you're video will not look like a 60FPS video.

Anyway, hope this helped. Feel free to contact me about anything you may need.[DOUBLEPOST=1438803333][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well seeing that for lorecast audio is the morst important part I would love to hear what you think of it

Hi rig, thanks for sending this into me. Really like the video style, reminds me a lot of old radio drama projects I've worked on.

As for the audio, there's a couple of pointers I can give you. For a start, try improve your diction. I know that you're not a native English speaker, but if you're going to speak in English you'll need to work on your voice so the majority can understand you. When you record a voice over, listen back to it and ask yourself "would an English speaker be able to understand me?"

The second thing is EQ and effects. The first thing that stood out for me is how amplified the low frequencies sound in your voice. sound can be split into different frequencies; generally these boil down to 3 different main types: low's, for all the deep vocals and bass sounds, highs, for all the higher pitch sounds, and mids, for everything in between. I could hear in your voice that the low frequencies were particularly loud in comparison to the rest of your voice. I always recommend adding some sort of effects to your voice to make it sound better than the clean audio you hear straight from the mic. In your case, I'd point you towards learning how to Equalize your voice so it sounds better. Then you may want to consider using a compressor to level out the volume and add a punchy sound to the voice over.

Usually I point people in the direction of Audacity for audio editing, but for something like this I'd recommend giving Adobe Audition a try. Since this project is centered around the vocals as a main, this software will allow the precision and control you need to make your voice, sound effects and composition mixing sound great for this style.

Hope this helped you man. Feel free to contact me of you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1438901871][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some feedback on my new war thunder video would be nice :D
-

Hi Jesse, thanks for sending this one in. Love the fact that you're back for more, it just goes to show that you're adamant to improve and that's a great thing :).

Of course well done for addressing the issues in the last post. I believe in the idea of learning step by step so if you come back to me with a new video, I'll see if I can find something to improve. This is only so I can be as effective as I can be in helping you out so please don't think that I'm just hard to please, it's the way I teach.

Again, good work on addressing the issues previously. You should now try focus on your audio. Most big name YouTubers have this really awesome sounding audio and it can be achieved through adding effects. Look into Audacity and compression to try and give your voice the "Radio effect" use other youtubers videos as a comparison and try to make it really punchy and balanced.

Now you should also submit your videos to other people too. I can only help you so much and a second opinion is never a bad idea. Try it and see what you can come up with :)

Last edited:
Reactions: riganthor

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
Ahh Christ, sorry man. I genuinely have no idea how I missed yours. Entirely my fault, I put it to me just being a massive dunce for the past week or so XD.

I really liked the channel trailer, made me laugh a bit and put the point across about the channel (games and explosions and whatnot XD). I really liked it. The Witcher video is also great, but I found it too lengthy for my tastes. You can keep audience interest by cutting out parts of the video that aren't really important and allowing the viewer to see only that parts that they want to see. I realize that for this particular style of video doesn't really require much editing, but that's my whole take on that; feel free to ignore that advice if you like the video better without cuts.

One main thing I can recommend is using compressor effects to your voice. I can see you're using an Audio Technica AT-2020 (the mic I'm using at the moment :D) so to get that in-studio/radio professional/punchy effect, I'd recommend using a compressor in an audio program like Audacity or Audition. That way your mic will give you crisp sounding audio with that awesome "radio effect" that you hear in a lot of big name YouTuber's videos.

Another thing is FPS; I noticed that your video was in 60FPS but I couldn't really see it. In fact I saw more lag than anything. It may be a problem on my end, but make sure that the video you're making is recorded, edited and exported as a 60FPS video. Going under at any one of these stages means that you're video will not look like a 60FPS video.

Anyway, hope this helped. Feel free to contact me about anything you may need.[DOUBLEPOST=1438803333][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi rig, thanks for sending this into me. Really like the video style, reminds me a lot of old radio drama projects I've worked on.

As for the audio, there's a couple of pointers I can give you. For a start, try improve your diction. I know that you're not a native English speaker, but if you're going to speak in English you'll need to work on your voice so the majority can understand you. When you record a voice over, listen back to it and ask yourself "would an English speaker be able to understand me?"

The second thing is EQ and effects. The first thing that stood out for me is how amplified the low frequencies sound in your voice. sound can be split into different frequencies; generally these boil down to 3 different main types: low's, for all the deep vocals and bass sounds, highs, for all the higher pitch sounds, and mids, for everything in between. I could hear in your voice that the low frequencies were particularly loud in comparison to the rest of your voice. I always recommend adding some sort of effects to your voice to make it sound better than the clean audio you hear straight from the mic. In your case, I'd point you towards learning how to Equalize your voice so it sounds better. Then you may want to consider using a compressor to level out the volume and add a punchy sound to the voice over.

Usually I point people in the direction of Audacity for audio editing, but for something like this I'd recommend giving Adobe Audition a try. Since this project is centered around the vocals as a main, this software will allow the precision and control you need to make your voice, sound effects and composition mixing sound great for this style.

Hope this helped you man. Feel free to contact me of you need anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1438901871][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi Jesse, thanks for sending this one in. Love the fact that you're back for more, it just goes to show that you're adamant to improve and that's a great thing :).

Of course well done for addressing the issues in the last post. I believe in the idea of learning step by step so if you come back to me with a new video, I'll see if I can find something to improve. This is only so I can be as effective as I can be in helping you out so please don't think that I'm just hard to please, it's the way I teach.

Again, good work on addressing the issues previously. You should now try focus on your audio. Most big name YouTubers have this really awesome sounding audio and it can be achieved through adding effects. Look into Audacity and compression to try and give your voice the "Radio effect" use other youtubers videos as a comparison and try to make it really punchy and balanced.

Now you should also submit your videos to other people too. I can only help you so much and a second opinion is never a bad idea. Try it and see what you can come up with :)
Ok will do :D

MarketMan

Play - Make - Draw
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
Illinois, United States
YouTube
I know you've got A LOT of requests, but would you mind giving me a video review? Just for quality and content. Obviously my newer videos are better than my old, but id still like to know where i need work

Pigs Play MC

Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube

I could not find the radio effect :(, but I did change the audio up a little! Feedback would be nice :D!
-

SwitchBladeJay

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2015
YouTube
Hi everyone, been a while.

So if you're waiting for replies for your videos then I d thank you for your patience. I do have stuff to do outside of the forums and I promise I'm not just ignoring you guys. I just need to find time to sit down and look at these videos. I will be getting on the reviews very soon :)

Something I just wanted to say is that I see a few people post some videos in the past which don't really fit into the thread itself so I'm updating the thread to include one more topic of critique. If you want me to only review one aspect of the video, please let me know so I can better help you.

Anyway, once again thanks for the submissions and for your patience. Reviews are coming soon, trust me :p[DOUBLEPOST=1439487249][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey, what do you think about this video? What could I improve?

Hi Droge, thanks for sending this one in.

I quite liked the video. It was rather hilarious what you did there and I found myself laughing quite fondly. The main problem comes in the intro of the video in that my initial expectations were low to start off with. This is simply down to the fact that the opening clip was just not interesting or funny. You really want to have a strong opening within the first 10 seconds otherwise people will turn the video off and watch something else. It's such a short attention span so try use a more funnier clip next time.

As for the audio, I feel it could have been improved. I thought some of the voices were too low so maybe try to bring them up in editing. I also thought that your voice was also too high and also peaked out at certain points. Try using a compressor to limit your mic to a certain volume so the volume doesn't sound unbalanced. While you're at it, try adding some punch to the compression effect to make the audio sound a little more professional.

With your voice also, there was a bit too much bass in the audio; having a nice deep voice is great but in your case it's a little too much. Try experimenting with EQ editing to maybe bring down the low's a little bit.

As for the editing, you did more than most so well done in that regard. I'd say that you might do a little better with some more music, but for the style you're going for I'd say that you've done a fine enough job with the editing. The video was pretty good though and I really enjoyed it.

Keep it up and if you need anything else, then feel free to contact me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Droge worst gaming

Golden Bear

Artist|Designer|YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Mar 9, 2014
YouTube
Throw everything at me, I'm an artist and I know how to accept good or bad critique c:
In my opinion, the microphone quality is pretty good(I'm using cheap Acme hands-free earphones with microphone on cable, payed 5$ for it).
Mostly I'd like to know the bad stuff about my video.
Also how good is my English.
Thank you for giving your review services for free c:

NuSpirit

Freedom! Member
Hi there SwitchBladeJay :) I would take your offer and posted here one video for critique.

Because most of my videos are montages without me talking in them I am still unable to find good settings for mic audio and I tried my best at it (but if it was enough ...). So if you could tell me how bad/good I post-edit different audio levels and how to improve, I would be grateful :) (you can notice different audio levels during video as I was trying to improve it also during livestream on my end, so once you can hear cars and effects, other times not)