Why new and normal Gaming Youtubers Fail, Tips

BloodRangerGaming

Rising User
Apr 30, 2016
YouTube
so some of my friends got inspired by me and my friend doing youtube and really being committed to it and working ourselves to exhaustion to put out videos, so alot of my friends failed miserably and got alot of dislikes and 0 views, i did help em out though so its all cool, these are all the mistakes many new channels are making

-Recording with a phone
if you do this please stop and do yourself a favour, doing this really ruins the video and will get you no where
-potato quality
please be careful when recording and what settings you use to render it, please don't upload videos too hard to see
-bad mics
alot of people start commentating with their pocket headphones that have really bad mics, if you have one of those stop commentary until you get a better mic

The mistakes normal youtubers make

-No Thumbnails
Adding no thumbnails makes it look uninteresting and with a thumbnail anyone would be more likely to watch the video
-bad titles
adding bad titles will make everyone not to watch the video, make interesting titles that would catch someones attention, adding misleading titles will make everyone hate your channel for showing them something they didn't want to see in the first place.
-No Profile Logo and cover art
no logo or cover art will make your channel look like an amateur even if you post good daily videos so please either have someone make on for you or make yourself one using the free gimp 2.0 and watching youtube tutorials!
-adding copyright music
if you start adding a lot of copyright music your channel in the end will get suspended or on worst cases banned.
-no description
no description is really bad, you should add some information such as what t the video is about, who helped you make it, links and your information as well!

doing all of these and keepng consistent with your videos is the key to being a successful youtuber, i hope this helps! think i missed out something? do comment your own thoughts and tips! check out my channel https://www.youtube.com/user/BloodRangerGaming subbing to everyone below!

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
These all make sense, one tip I would add is buy a better mic first rather than an amazing camera as poor sound quality will really hurt your views and subs.

The rest is common sense, if you haven't setup your profile properly and don't bother with descriptions or titles you just look like a spammer.

Reactions: BloodRangerGaming

Rising User
May 2, 2016
YouTube
These all make sense, one tip I would add is buy a better mic first rather than an amazing camera as poor sound quality will really hurt your views and subs.

The rest is common sense, if you haven't setup your profile properly and don't bother with descriptions or titles you just look like a spammer.

But why buy mic, you never know if you will like it in next few months, making YouTube videos that is and if you loose interest that you just wasted money.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
But why buy mic, you never know if you will like it in next few months, making YouTube videos that is and if you loose interest that you just wasted money.

What I mean is when you start investing in equipment that you should buy a mic first as it will be cheaper than a new camera and you will get the better quality boost for less cash.

You are right though if you are just giving it a go use what you got.

Rising User
May 2, 2016
YouTube
What I mean is when you start investing in equipment that you should buy a mic first as it will be cheaper than a new camera and you will get the better quality boost for less cash.

You are right though if you are just giving it a go use what you got.

That makes sense, yes! I have well let's say decent mic but I do not see myself buying a new one just "for YouTube". While my mic is fine, noise less on skype and everywhere else I do not know why does it sound weird on recordings.

Reactions: Jac Morton

BloodRangerGaming

Rising User
Apr 30, 2016
YouTube
im in it for a long term so i know k need to improve and if you are that type f person you should go for it! if you are confused just ask yourself do you have fun with it? leave the views and subs, do you enjoy it? then go for it. If you are still confused give it a try with what you have and good luck!

Voxesto

Apr 20, 2016
YouTube
For me I just over optimize me games to reach top FPS then export at a very high quality, takes a little longer but the gameplay looks soooo much better and is that not the first and most important thing when creating a gaming video/channel, plus you don't have to be at your PC when exporting/uploading so let it take longer (y) (Y)

Voxesto

Apr 20, 2016
YouTube
Well if you play with friends I'm sure it will still please them to hear your lovely clear voice ;)

Rising User
May 2, 2016
YouTube
Well if you play with friends I'm sure it will still please them to hear your lovely clear voice ;)

But the thing is they hear it crystal clear trough Skype but bandicam is a whole different story. Same with Fraps and OBS, no matter what the static noise is there when I record alone.

Voxesto

Apr 20, 2016
YouTube
is it a USB powered mic/headset? If so plug the USB into a phone charger and the jack into your PC, if you have both that is? This fixed my old headset problem as I was over loading my PSU thus creating a horrible static feed through the cables.

Folke Siren

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 15, 2016
YouTube
so some of my friends got inspired by me and my friend doing youtube and really being committed to it and working ourselves to exhaustion to put out videos, so alot of my friends failed miserably and got alot of dislikes and 0 views, i did help em out though so its all cool, these are all the mistakes many new channels are making

-Recording with a phone
if you do this please stop and do yourself a favour, doing this really ruins the video and will get you no where
-potato quality
please be careful when recording and what settings you use to render it, please don't upload videos too hard to see
-bad mics
alot of people start commentating with their pocket headphones that have really bad mics, if you have one of those stop commentary until you get a better mic

The mistakes normal youtubers make

-No Thumbnails
Adding no thumbnails makes it look uninteresting and with a thumbnail anyone would be more likely to watch the video
-bad titles
adding bad titles will make everyone not to watch the video, make interesting titles that would catch someones attention, adding misleading titles will make everyone hate your channel for showing them something they didn't want to see in the first place.
-No Profile Logo and cover art
no logo or cover art will make your channel look like an amateur even if you post good daily videos so please either have someone make on for you or make yourself one using the free gimp 2.0 and watching youtube tutorials!
-adding copyright music
if you start adding a lot of copyright music your channel in the end will get suspended or on worst cases banned.
-no description
no description is really bad, you should add some information such as what t the video is about, who helped you make it, links and your information as well!

doing all of these and keepng consistent with your videos is the key to being a successful youtuber, i hope this helps! think i missed out something? do comment your own thoughts and tips! check out my channel https://www.youtube.com/user/BloodRangerGaming subbing to everyone below!
Well i woudn't call the quallity that you get with a smartphone "potato quality" :D and even if you are recording with phone you can use an external microphone to record audio :) Good tips non the less

Rising User
May 2, 2016
YouTube
is it a USB powered mic/headset? If so plug the USB into a phone charger and the jack into your PC, if you have both that is? This fixed my old headset problem as I was over loading my PSU thus creating a horrible static feed through the cables.

It is normal headset, not USB one.

Caleb Calvert

Rising User
May 2, 2016
I mean... you kind of missed the importance of tags... tagging your content appropriately, in a way that drives views, is the almost the main ingredient to both Google and YouTube. If you are at the top of the search due to amazing tagging, then you have won the YouTube game. There are channels with 15 subs that are better than some of these with 500,000... tagging is the key ingredient. Quality content will keep you at the top, but SEO will get you there.

My main tips for SEO are as follows:
Make playlists... even if you only have 1 video in a playlist, it is extra tags and more chance of people watching your video/channel.
-Use more than one tag in the title, do a quick youtube search to find the most popular search items for your game/title.. its easy to know what is popular as it will pop up as you start to type it.
-Description - post links to other playlists and videos, even use the titles of those in your description! It's not against TOS and is highly beneficial for tags and ranking.

That's it for now... focus on SEO :)

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
To add on, what a lot of people do to fall short is they either focus way too much on numbers and not enough on their content, or they'll try to clone themselves as one of the bug youtubers they watch. There's not a lot of drive or originality in youtube anymore.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
buy a better mic first rather than an amazing camera as poor sound quality will really hurt your views and subs.
This I disagree with partially. The people can't preview your videos to see if the audio quality is up to snuff, so it doesn't directly impact your video views. Poor quality can hurt your subscribers which hurts views long term, but if you can optimize audio correctly, then you'd be alright using a phone.

2Million subscriber channel "GradeAUnderA" uses a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to record his audio. That's a $80 (eBay) phone from 2012. So if you can work audio correctly, then you can get an $80 microphone with on-board recording.
Although I'm certain it's camera is horrible.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
This I disagree with partially. The people can't preview your videos to see if the audio quality is up to snuff, so it doesn't directly impact your video views. Poor quality can hurt your subscribers which hurts views long term, but if you can optimize audio correctly, then you'd be alright using a phone.

2Million subscriber channel "GradeAUnderA" uses a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to record his audio. That's a $80 (eBay) phone from 2012. So if you can work audio correctly, then you can get an $80 microphone with on-board recording.
Although I'm certain it's camera is horrible.

You have a very valid point there, it is possible to use a phone to capture audio.

I have found that it I was re-recording loads of my videos due to audio I didn't have the skills to rescue, so it was much easier for me to spend £15 on a new mic that boosted my quality loads.

It is always best to work with what equipment you have first rather than spending loads on stuff you might not need.