Why is everyone worrying about numbers?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I see alot of people going on about numbers as to them, that is the substance of their channel. When you worry about numbers, and make it the big thing, you gloss over the real base of your channel, the content.

Numbers are great, they tell us where we are going, and where to improve. But the people you're referencing don't use numbers for substance as they should. They think of numbers arbitrarily, the bigger the better, but they fail to see what the individual numbers mean.
When you understand the individual numbers, you'll find that you are better equipped to use those numbers to your greatest advantage. Consider;

If someone looks at watch time, they might see a number. 100 watch minutes per day is nice, but it breaks down further. Average watch time per video? Like ratio based on watch time? Are people who watch longer more likely to like this video? If so, should I make longer or shorter videos?

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Firstly, I'd like to say hello, and that I'm new to freedom, so I hope to learn a lot from everyone!

Secondly, I keep a keen focus on my numbers simply because it's a measurable metric on what I do. When I release a video, I'm keen on checking out the view count that day, the day after, the week after. It tells me how well the video is doing over time. My channel is definitely all about fun, and helping people out when I can (the occasional charity stream), so when I have a solid video or an increase in subscribers, it makes me happy that I have the opportunity to bring that fun to another person.

If I make a living off of youtube, that would be great, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a goal of mine. However, what's more important to me is that I can make as many people smile, and laugh, or cry (when appropriate for the game) etc. I want to gain popularity and broad viewership in order to try and make as many people have a good time as possible. As such, I need to know what works and what doesn't. Using metrics to identify where my strong suits are and where my weak points are is incredibly helpful in making the best content i can make!
You can learn a lot from here, especially from discussions. Bringing in people is where most people are baffled, since they don't advertise their content, or have relevant material that's meant for their current viewers. Making a living on youtube is hard, but many people have a job to supplement their money in the meantime. I hope you continue to gain more and more knowledge Hurgle ^^

Folke Siren

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 15, 2016
YouTube
Firstly, I'd like to say hello, and that I'm new to freedom, so I hope to learn a lot from everyone!

Secondly, I keep a keen focus on my numbers simply because it's a measurable metric on what I do. When I release a video, I'm keen on checking out the view count that day, the day after, the week after. It tells me how well the video is doing over time. My channel is definitely all about fun, and helping people out when I can (the occasional charity stream), so when I have a solid video or an increase in subscribers, it makes me happy that I have the opportunity to bring that fun to another person.

If I make a living off of youtube, that would be great, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a goal of mine. However, what's more important to me is that I can make as many people smile, and laugh, or cry (when appropriate for the game) etc. I want to gain popularity and broad viewership in order to try and make as many people have a good time as possible. As such, I need to know what works and what doesn't. Using metrics to identify where my strong suits are and where my weak points are is incredibly helpful in making the best content i can make!
Definitely agree with you man !

U

User.123120

I think people care to much about the amount of numbers :/ when the should care about reply's and likes/dislikes.

Gamerama

Respected User
I can understand just doing for YouTube for fun and as a pastime, but at the same time isn't part of the reason for uploading things to YouTube to share it and in the hope that people will watch it? Becoming obsessed with the numbers aspect isn't healthy, I agree, but it is nice to know that people enjoy your content and giving you further motivation to make something new and share with them! :cool:

Reactions: Folke Siren