Why is everyone worrying about numbers?

UnstoppableFrost

Well-Known User
Mar 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
I've seen a lot of threads here and it seems like a lot of people are really discouraged that they're not getting as much viewers or subscribers, YouTube is massive and there is more than 300 videos posted every minute so there won't be a big chance that you'll gain momentum unless you're actually putting fun into it. Everyone now compares themselves to bigger YouTubers because those are the only people they watch but there's so much small channels having the same struggle as you, it takes dedication and a large amount of patience to actually gain momentum so just keep at it and do it for fun!

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
I try not to obsess about the numbers but I have to admit that they are important to me. I have fun with the videos that I make and I put time into them. I post them so that people will view them and so that people will sub to my channel and continue to watch. I would never go looking for fake subs and views just to boost my numbers. I care about the numbers but I want them to be genuine, not fake.

victorfc

Rising User
Mar 21, 2016
YouTube
thats so true man having fun with it just takes all the stress out of it, thats why you should do what you love doing cause either way youre enjoying yourself and thats all that matters!

Dark Illusion Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 22, 2015
YouTube
the main problem is that 99.9% of people now want to go to YouTube make 20-30 videos and gain 1,000,000 subs in a month and be driving around in a Audi R8 Matching Ali-A. Its also partly to do with the current stream of major YouTubers, they all have flash cars or have just bought a house/apartment in L.A. People see YouTube as a way to a quick buck. Most of the sponsors of YouTube and the people that pay the money to huge channels, all they look at is the numbers, thats what gives them the analitics to pay out to people or give away free product, its then people think if they have high numbers they will be millionaires from youtube playing free for all on COD !!!

Sorry mini rant over. ;)

Reactions: james swartley

Charxander Origin

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2016
YouTube
I agree with Dark Illusion Gaming. A lot of people care more about money than actual good content these days. The only reason my videos are even monetized is because I partnered with Freedom, and they enabled it. I haven't even given them a way to give me any of the money because I really don't even care for it right now, I am just doing what I like to do, and I wish more people thought about it that way, instead of just using it as a way to get a "quick buck"

Dark Illusion Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 22, 2015
YouTube
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I have my eyes on the prize but I am not willing to stamp on the people that get me there, it's the people at these smaller stages that make you

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I've seen a lot of threads here and it seems like a lot of people are really discouraged that they're not getting as much viewers or subscribers, YouTube is massive and there is more than 300 videos posted every minute so there won't be a big chance that you'll gain momentum unless you're actually putting fun into it. Everyone now compares themselves to bigger YouTubers because those are the only people they watch but there's so much small channels having the same struggle as you, it takes dedication and a large amount of patience to actually gain momentum so just keep at it and do it for fun!
People want to get big as soon as possible. They see friends getting high numbers, and they want the glory too. Networking can get you far, it's a bummer that people that use fake interest in channels get a lot of publicity lately.

RewindThatGaming

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ashland, PA
YouTube
Reason I do youtube mostly for fun, and for money part is try help my youtube channel and help out mine mom because she not in good shape in money eyes, and try prove mine grandparent I can get good amount of money while I have fun. So, I do youtube for fun, tiny bit of money and try prove myself, and mine speech etc...

ViphyleanGaming

Rising User
Mar 24, 2016
YouTube
I do focus on that a lot too... But I do enjoy playing the games and doing the things I do for my youtube channel! I want to make it a giant community... I think that's why i get so discouraged is that it truly feels like noone WANTS to be with my community, nobody wants to go and have fun watching my content. It isn't a great feeling.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
What budding YouTubers fail to realize is that the "big" youtubers, at least the vast majority of them, have been doing this for a long time, like 5+ years in some instances. Plus they became involved in the scene before it was really popular; before there was an overwhelming amount of competition. This is especially true with gaming youtubers.

I feel that we all have to do something really creative and unique in order to generate a large viewer base and obtain many subscribers...there is just an incredible amount of competition out there, and a lot of people copying each other. Patience is a virtue. Be creative, unique, and entertaining and I believe that eventually it will all pay off.

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
What budding YouTubers fail to realize is that the "big" youtubers, at least the vast majority of them, have been doing this for a long time, like 5+ years in some instances. Plus they became involved in the scene before it was really popular; before there was an overwhelming amount of competition. This is especially true with gaming youtubers.

I feel that we all have to do something really creative and unique in order to generate a large viewer base and obtain many subscribers...there is just an incredible amount of competition out there, and a lot of people copying each other. Patience is a virtue. Be creative, unique, and entertaining and I believe that eventually it will all pay off.
We're basically offering a service to people watching us. Content creators need to think of it like television. There's a thousand shows to watch, what makes yours special, and how can you keep them entertained?

Folke Siren

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 15, 2016
YouTube
I try to keep my head cool and not think about the numbers too much. I know that it will probably take yeras for me or anyother channe out there to reach even 100,000 subs. I try to do this for fun, but my biggest dream is to make this as my job one day :)

Hurgleman

New User
Mar 26, 2016
Firstly, I'd like to say hello, and that I'm new to freedom, so I hope to learn a lot from everyone!

Secondly, I keep a keen focus on my numbers simply because it's a measurable metric on what I do. When I release a video, I'm keen on checking out the view count that day, the day after, the week after. It tells me how well the video is doing over time. My channel is definitely all about fun, and helping people out when I can (the occasional charity stream), so when I have a solid video or an increase in subscribers, it makes me happy that I have the opportunity to bring that fun to another person.

If I make a living off of youtube, that would be great, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a goal of mine. However, what's more important to me is that I can make as many people smile, and laugh, or cry (when appropriate for the game) etc. I want to gain popularity and broad viewership in order to try and make as many people have a good time as possible. As such, I need to know what works and what doesn't. Using metrics to identify where my strong suits are and where my weak points are is incredibly helpful in making the best content i can make!

Reactions: Folke Siren