Struggling to bring in new subs for channel.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
You should be looking for ways to better your content rather than places to advertise. Posting in places dedicated for YouTubers to post their videos likely exposes your video to the wrong audience. Generating low community involvement rates.
The people your videos are intended for have no idea that those places [where many YouTubers advertise] even exist, so your audience isn't there.

See the first quote in my signature.

I could have the most amazing content in the world, if no one knows its there no one will view, you have to promote and its not an act of being desperate. All the big companies out there these days, do you think they just had a little shop in the corner of town and waited for people to come....no they advertised they got their name out there. New game on the shelf.....advertise it, Tradesman looking for work, do you think he just sits in the house and waits for people to ring?.... no he advertises his name, puts a portfolio out there to showcase his work.

You damage your own channel by keeping your YouTube private on here, you've obviously been here a while with 1k+ messages, out of all those messages do you not think there would of been at least 1 person that wanted to see what you do? because I guarantee that there would of been but that is for you to decide on what you do not me, If that's how you want to run your channel that's fine but please don't preach to me saying self-promoting is desperate because its far from it, I'll take whatever advice you throw at me but when you just try to degrade people for promoting their content then no please keep that to yourself as it doesn't do anything for peoples spirits.

It's definitely a struggle, especially when everything is so oversaturated and overdone. It's just ask about finding your niche for the time being. Just find digged places you can communicate to the community with and talk around. I'm very verbal, so I try to stand out to people and get them interested in who I am, instead of just my channel. It's all about communication, especially with your viewers (where a mic would help you greatly.) And like the others have said, collaborations are wonderful if you ever need exposure.

Thanks for the advice Fred, really appreciate it, I've got my mic for videos just haven't had time for recording videos with it yet and collabs for that matter, will try and do some in due course.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
I could have the most amazing content in the world, if no one knows its there no one will view, you have to promote and its not an act of being desperate. All the big companies out there these days, do you think they just had a little shop in the corner of town and waited for people to come....no they advertised they got their name out there. New game on the shelf.....advertise it, Tradesman looking for work, do you think he just sits in the house and waits for people to ring?.... no he advertises his name, puts a portfolio out there to showcase his work.

You damage your own channel by keeping your YouTube private on here, you've obviously been here a while with 1k+ messages, out of all those messages do you not think there would of been at least 1 person that wanted to see what you do? because I guarantee that there would of been but that is for you to decide on what you do not me, If that's how you want to run your channel that's fine but please don't preach to me saying self-promoting is desperate because its far from it, I'll take whatever advice you throw at me but when you just try to degrade people for promoting their content then no please keep that to yourself as it doesn't do anything for peoples spirits.

Thanks for the advice Fred, really appreciate it, I've got my mic for videos just haven't had time for recording videos with it yet and collabs for that matter, will try and do some in due course.

I understand that all too well. I have a 50 hour a week job (or more,) child and woman to care for, church activities, and an apartment to maintain. It's hard to balance it all. Just hang in there.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
I understand that all too well. I have a 50 hour a week job (or more,) child and woman to care for, church activities, and an apartment to maintain. It's hard to balance it all. Just hang in there.

Yep same, although I don't have church and with my job my hours or more 84+ depending if I do 7 days or not (12 hours a day)

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
There's the big difference. A company has to pay to have it sent through official channels. Official channels like advertising through AdSense on YouTube expose it to the audience that YouTube believes would be most likely to be interested in what is being advertised. That kind of advertising has to be paid for.
When the advertising is not paid for however, there is no way of getting it specifically to your target audience, there's no way to getting the people you actually want or more-or-less need to have seeing it, actually seeing it. That's the problem with YouTuber-dedicated cost-free advertising spaces. It's all just advertising but no receiving because everyone wants their own thing to be seen but since their target audience isn't there, they don't get the impact they want from the creation of the video.

I remember lots from my marketing course a few years back, and the thing that stuck with me the most as a video creator was target markets. I took a step back and analyzed my channel and thought: "Who are my videos actually intended for? Who is supposed to watch my videos?". That's when I switched gears from trying to get just anyone to see my content, to getting the correct people to see my content.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
There's the big difference. A company has to pay to have it sent through official channels. Official channels like advertising through AdSense on YouTube expose it to the audience that YouTube believes would be most likely to be interested in what is being advertised. That kind of advertising has to be paid for.
When the advertising is not paid for however, there is no way of getting it specifically to your target audience, there's no way to getting the people you actually want or more-or-less need to have seeing it, actually seeing it. That's the problem with YouTuber-dedicated cost-free advertising spaces. It's all just advertising but no receiving because everyone wants their own thing to be seen but since their target audience isn't there, they don't get the impact they want from the creation of the video.

I remember lots from my marketing course a few years back, and the thing that stuck with me the most as a video creator was target markets. I took a step back and analyzed my channel and thought: "Who are my videos actually intended for? Who is supposed to watch my videos?". That's when I switched gears from trying to get just anyone to see my content, to getting the correct people to see my content.

And how did you get the correct people to view your content?

xMiizux

Rising User
May 18, 2016
YouTube
Personally, I've been doing gaming videos for youtube for about 3 years at most now, and I'm barely at 1k. And I understand the struggle. I'm seeing all these new comers getting 200 subs in just their first videos and it makes me wonder, how were they able to do so in such a short amount of time? As far as I've come to realize, a lot of people gain and catch their viewers by having eye catching thumbnails and interesting titles. Not just that but knowing the right people. And I agree that collaborations are a great help. It's good to look into small channels first. I started collaborating with other youtuber friends of mine most of which are at 100-500 subs. Our collaborations have helped us all. And eventually I stepped up reaching out to a bigger youtuber which is now currently at 4k and now I call them my friend. And because of them I somewhat now have a name for myself especially in the COD knifing community. I believe everything just comes with hard work and lots of patience and time. And yeah it sucks sometimes cause I even still wish it'd be a lot easier than what it is now. Trying to get known in the gaming community Now is a lot harder than what it was then. Especially with the way youtube is set up now. Everything starts out somewhere though. Whether it be sharing your content with family and friends: which is what I did to begin with btw, sometimes would even self promote myself. At this point I'm just happy with what I Do have and I make sure to have fun while doing it. If I'm not having fun then what really would be the point ya know? I also realized it helps a bit having a twitter and having youtube connected to it. So whenever you post a video your followers will be able to see. And if someone liked your video you'll be notified if they're on twitter too, it helps to like and retweet that they liked your video. I really wish the best for you and your channel :D I subscribed