Struggling to bring in new subs for channel.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Hey everyone.

I properly started up my channel about a few months ago, Uploading gaming videos (non commentary at the moment as I don't have much time by myself) got my channel and videos out there on a few forums, G+, twitter etc but I'm still failing in bringing in new subs and views.

I've checked out a few fresh starters as well and seen that the quality of the videos is bad quality/sound/editing and wondered how they still have a good handful of subs.....unless everyone I'm clicking on is just doing sub4sub.

I'm not bothered about having loads of subs,views, like most fresh starters say they want or to be famous like certain well know YouTubers, I have a very time consuming job and family life so all this is my hobby, something to do while relaxing and enjoy myself but would still like to have a community around my content, people to interact with, conversation, constructive criticism.

Any ideas what i might be able to do to help promote my channel, or improve my videos. Everything will be taken in and I appreciate anyone willing to lend some advice. Thanks everyone.

LanokirX

Respected User
Feb 9, 2016
Värnamo, Sweden
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Overall is it hard I would say. Much is about being active and such. I think videos without commentary and such is much harder to reach out as many do like to see and/or hear people when they play. Maybe it's just me, but think that might be the case.
And its a lot with patience, gaining subs and views is hard definitely. It's a huge market so to speak. : )

Also checked your channel, think it seem to be good quality on the videos for sure. Though a big part is that you seem to upload a bit irregular? Maybe set up to upload at certain days, so people get to know when its up? : o

Reactions: Smithy5000

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Thanks for the advice, At the moment with my regular job I've been at home a lot more so I've had the time to edit and upload them, Usually I have no time at all so I've been making sure to edit as many as possible and get some more out in the world, but i guess i'll start stockpiling some for a rainy day but I think that will make more of a difference if I ever have more subs (y) (Y), I hammered Overwatch while it was in open beta to get some footage, I'll have to wait until its released to get some more. Thanks again for taking the time to give me advice.

Reactions: LanokirX

LanokirX

Respected User
Feb 9, 2016
Värnamo, Sweden
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Thanks for the advice, At the moment with my regular job I've been at home a lot more so I've had the time to edit and upload them, Usually I have no time at all so I've been making sure to edit as many as possible and get some more out in the world, but i guess i'll start stockpiling some for a rainy day but I think that will make more of a difference if I ever have more subs (y) (Y), I hammered Overwatch while it was in open beta to get some footage, I'll have to wait until its released to get some more. Thanks again for taking the time to give me advice.
Yea, I understand that it can be a struggle to juggle both work, family and Youtube. So that is good to keep up and record extra so you have for the days you can't record. And ofc, more subs, views and comments really do make a huge different; it's an insane moral boost! And ofc, the better it goes, the easier to put more into it with equipment cause etc.
Overwatch is insane fun, did play it under the open beta as well, sadly it lagged a bit for me which kind of ticked me of a bit. xD But yea, think Overwatch is a good game to upload for you, since its so new and shiny, it attract watchers definitely!

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Yea, I understand that it can be a struggle to juggle both work, family and Youtube. So that is good to keep up and record extra so you have for the days you can't record. And ofc, more subs, views and comments really do make a huge different; it's an insane moral boost! And ofc, the better it goes, the easier to put more into it with equipment cause etc.
Overwatch is insane fun, did play it under the open beta as well, sadly it lagged a bit for me which kind of ticked me of a bit. xD But yea, think Overwatch is a good game to upload for you, since its so new and shiny, it attract watchers definitely!

Luckily I never had a problem with lag, It ran very smoothly which is probably why I enjoyed it a lot more but probably ticked a few people off as they were on the receiving end of reapers guns and hanzo' bo haha. Ticked me off that they didn't let the game you were in end before closing the servers though. As I've said to the few people that have subbed they mean the world to me, as long as I know there's some people out there that like to watch my content I'll carry on doing it but when i see people that have just started off with only a few mediocre quality videos yet they've already hit 50 or 100 subs that's a bit of a kick in the nuts for me as I just think "How?"

LanokirX

Respected User
Feb 9, 2016
Värnamo, Sweden
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Luckily I never had a problem with lag, It ran very smoothly which is probably why I enjoyed it a lot more but probably ticked a few people off as they were on the receiving end of reapers guns and hanzo' bo haha. Ticked me off that they didn't let the game you were in end before closing the servers though. As I've said to the few people that have subbed they mean the world to me, as long as I know there's some people out there that like to watch my content I'll carry on doing it but when i see people that have just started off with only a few mediocre quality videos yet they've already hit 50 or 100 subs that's a bit of a kick in the nuts for me as I just think "How?"
Well think my PC is getting a bit old, I need to upgrade it though that cost money and money I shall not have apparently. xD But yea, more then once was I the receiving end of Reapers and Hanzo's aim. Especially when a Reaper just port in and ult, DIE DIE DIE, I just "ARGH NOT AGAIN!" xD
Think many of those people that get such subs with relative poor quality usually never get much more, cause only to gain more is to improve. Can be like friends and such that subs too. Should share about your channel on Facebook, and ask others to share on. Sharing is caring. c:

Reactions: Smithy5000

Ada Horror

Mythic User
Jun 10, 2014
Sweden , Falun
www.youtube.com
YouTube
adahorror
Nice channel i tryed the beta on overwatch cant w8 for it to realease:D

You should find ppl to collab with that are doing the same game as you:) try find ppl with around 50-100 subs and collab with them and when you reach 50 subs try find 100-150 sub channels etc etc thats a good way to grow when ur new:)

hope it helps

//ADA!

Reactions: PrettyKoolCat

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
My friends in life aren't interested in YouTube gaming stuff, that why I'm trying to get my channel out there, get in touch with people who are interested in this stuff.

Ah I was playing it on PS4 so servers were probably a bit better, I didn't tend to use reapers finisher that much, too many people could counter it.

I tend to do my recording on my PS4, I only have a hp laptop which isn't all that, can edit and stuff on it but that's about it really,any games I would want to play would lag to much which is a shame coz I want to play the TJOC and five nights at Rachel's games.

I would love to he able to get a dedicated PC for high end gaming and maybe even streaming but at the moment that's a distant dream.

Rising User
May 2, 2016
YouTube
I do not know honestly, just upload and you will get people who like your content and are interested in more. I do not know how I got mine 61 subs but hey from them 61 I get at least 20 views + 300 more from Reddit so I would suggest to advertise there in correct sections for your videos.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
I've posted on reddit before, can't remember if it was the right section or not....pretty sure it was, I also post on a few channels on G+ which gets me a few comments and views but I need to get them out to more places.

Hey man, we are in the Same boat. I think iv got decent videos up with very catchy Thumbnails and advertise on various social media and get very little to views and subs. I wont lie i started uploading videos to Youtube to try make it a success. But it's a struggle. the Best thing is to push through and hopefully one day ill be in the 100k subs.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Hey man, we are in the Same boat. I think iv got decent videos up with very catchy Thumbnails and advertise on various social media and get very little to views and subs. I wont lie i started uploading videos to Youtube to try make it a success. But it's a struggle. the Best thing is to push through and hopefully one day ill be in the 100k subs.

Where did you advertise your channel to begin with? As I've been adding links to pages everywhere but don't seem to draw people in.
All i want to do at the moment is get to 100 subs so I can create a unique URL as some little kid started just after me with my name (facepalm)

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I have said this to others and I'll relay the message here.

When you're struggling to get subscribers, it means you're not convincing REAL PEOPLE that you're worth subscribing to. Now, while that seems harsh, it's nothing but the truth. Quantifying subscribers is a mindset that you need to lose immediately, don't think of it as gaining subscribers, subscribers are not easy whatsoever. Think of it as giving people a reason to come back to your channel, convince people that button is worth clicking in the first place.

Reactions: Goped Fred

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
I already know subscribers are real people, I'm in my mid 20's so I know how the world goes around, "Quantifying subscribers is a mindset that you need to lose immediately" I think you may have misinterpreted me as one of these young people who are after nothing but subs to be like to top YouTubers and to be "famous".... or I explained myself in the wrong way, I'm looking for advice, websites, forums, places the promote my channel to draw in the views, expand and grow my channel, As I said in my original post, there's people with bad quality videos nothing special because their starting out and learning the programs but they still have subs who view..... where do they advertise, how are they getting the channel out there to draw in the crowds.

Advertising your channel is hard, stuff like facebook and twitter require people to actually like or follow to see your tweets or to even know your there. posting on local forums, collab with bigger youtubers. Try get shout outs. its hard man. The grind is real. eventually 1 tweet turns into two. people retweeting

keep at it.

Reactions: Jac Morton

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
My friends in life aren't interested in YouTube gaming stuff, that why I'm trying to get my channel out there, get in touch with people who are interested in this stuff.

Ah I was playing it on PS4 so servers were probably a bit better, I didn't tend to use reapers finisher that much, too many people could counter it.

I tend to do my recording on my PS4, I only have a hp laptop which isn't all that, can edit and stuff on it but that's about it really,any games I would want to play would lag to much which is a shame coz I want to play the TJOC and five nights at Rachel's games.

I would love to he able to get a dedicated PC for high end gaming and maybe even streaming but at the moment that's a distant dream.

Have a look on the forums, I just recorded my first ever collab with a fantastic guy in Asia.

You have to put yourself out there, we were both up late recording because of the time difference but it was great fun to record and I can't wait for it to go live. He will be promoting my channel and I'm doing the same for him so hopefully it will work out really well for us both.

There are channels that are just looking to do PS4 collabs, it might take a bit of time to find a good fit but there is no harm in trying.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I already know subscribers are real people, I'm in my mid 20's so I know how the world goes around, "Quantifying subscribers is a mindset that you need to lose immediately" I think you may have misinterpreted me as one of these young people who are after nothing but subs to be like to top YouTubers and to be "famous".... or I explained myself in the wrong way, I'm looking for advice, websites, forums, places the promote my channel to draw in the views, expand and grow my channel, As I said in my original post, there's people with bad quality videos nothing special because their starting out and learning the programs but they still have subs who view..... where do they advertise, how are they getting the channel out there to draw in the crowds.
You should be looking for ways to better your content rather than places to advertise. Posting in places dedicated for YouTubers to post their videos likely exposes your video to the wrong audience. Generating low community involvement rates.
The people your videos are intended for have no idea that those places [where many YouTubers advertise] even exist, so your audience isn't there.

See the first quote in my signature.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
It's definitely a struggle, especially when everything is so oversaturated and overdone. It's just ask about finding your niche for the time being. Just find digged places you can communicate to the community with and talk around. I'm very verbal, so I try to stand out to people and get them interested in who I am, instead of just my channel. It's all about communication, especially with your viewers (where a mic would help you greatly.) And like the others have said, collaborations are wonderful if you ever need exposure.