How much storage should an active YouTube creator have?

GreenManX

Rising User
Nov 17, 2015
Europe
YouTube
I
I'm working with about 1.5 Tb at the moment. Was wondering how you guys manage your videos after they have been edited. Do you just delete the excess and keep the final, compressed product? What do you guys do?

I'm using 250 GB SSD Samsung Evo 850. It is amazing disk in terms of speed but it is to small. I can work on it for now but I have installed only 2 games on it (Dying Light and Fallout 4). I have 50 GB free space and that's only if I delete all preview files from Premier Pro, daily. In a week or two I'll buy 2 TB external drive and I'll use it as storage.

If you planning to store all raw materials, projects and exported stuff prepare yourself to buy 2 TB every two or tree months if not earlier :)

My politics is to keep exported files and delete raw materials is you don't have any plans to use them to make funny montage.

I'm working on some video editing that is not related with my youtube channel and every computer in company has 4 TB of sotrage and 1 TB for system and we are low on space all the time. Video editing requests TB and TB of space.

Cheers![DOUBLEPOST=1447863391][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have 200GB and that works well for me since the programs I use encode files to be very small and I use multiple flash drives so it all works well for me :)

Reactions: Danny and Nuke

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
I

I'm using 250 GB SSD Samsung Evo 850. It is amazing disk in terms of speed but it is to small. I can work on it for now but I have installed only 2 games on it (Dying Light and Fallout 4). I have 50 GB free space and that's only if I delete all preview files from Premier Pro, daily. In a week or two I'll buy 2 TB external drive and I'll use it as storage.

If you planning to store all raw materials, projects and exported stuff prepare yourself to buy 2 TB every two or tree months if not earlier :)

My politics is to keep exported files and delete raw materials is you don't have any plans to use them to make funny montage.

I'm working on some video editing that is not related with my youtube channel and every computer in company has 4 TB of sotrage and 1 TB for system and we are low on space all the time. Video editing requests TB and TB of space.

Well I delete all my videos after uploaded, it's the smarter thing to do and will save a lot of space. It works perfectly for me :)

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
hahaha get a portable storage device. It'l save your life. And make it a USB 3.0 if you can it's faster and better. Or keep it on your 1.5 tb hdd unless you somehow have a 1.5 5b ssd lol. I have a 500 gig sdd and half of it is videos and **** for youtube.[DOUBLEPOST=1446190424][/DOUBLEPOST]Also if you're a gamer, and you use Fraps. Convert the .AVI files to .mp4 it will save your life. .AVI isn't really necessary in my opinion.
I have a 500gb SSD at the moment that I store all my videos on, I'm thinking about moving them to my 1tb HDD later on[DOUBLEPOST=1448381957][/DOUBLEPOST]
I

There is no way I could store the raw materials xD Usually my raw video footage (audio, bandicam, camcorder) comes to around 150-180gb each. So i just create the video, then delete the raw stuff

Reactions: GreenManX and Nuke

GreenManX

Rising User
Nov 17, 2015
Europe
YouTube
I have a 500gb SSD at the moment that I store all my videos on, I'm thinking about moving them to my 1tb HDD later on[DOUBLEPOST=1448381957][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is no way I could store the raw materials xD Usually my raw video footage (audio, bandicam, camcorder) comes to around 150-180gb each. So i just create the video, then delete the raw stuff
You are making very long videos than, at least 1 hour long in full HD.

Than you don't have many other options. Maybe you can try "Handbrake" program which compresses videos without loosing to much quality.

At the end of the day it's fine if You delete all your row materials because only important thing is to upload it to youtube.

midzan21

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Well I have 500GB internal drive for all of my work (even for AAA game like GTA V), and for backup I use few external drives from various sizes (lowest is 320GB and highest capacity is 2TB one which share with couple of friends of mine which there copy videos, photos and music)

I use final cut, instead of saving my videos in the bulky pro rest format I save them as h.240 or whatever. This way they are encoded for web and it cuts the upload time in half. When I save them in this format they are usually about 200 mb so quite small. I keep them on my Mac for about a month or until I need more room. I'm working with 121gb flash storage and that's more than enough for me.

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
I've got 1TB of SSD Space and 32TB of External HDD. I plan to eventually upgrade as I never delete files and I've been doing professional content creation for a long time. That and I enjoy having space for all my games and movies :3

Reactions: Danny

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
I have an external HDD a terabyte where I keep all my raw video footage and when I start to edit, I move them over to my 1TB internal HDD. Once I'm done a project I usually dispose of it within half a year as I like to keep my files to a minimum.

I think now-a-days, storage capacity has become less of an issue for content creators as one can get a terabyte of storage for a generally low price (less than a hundred dollars) and speed has become a more important factor in making a choice when looking at storage options.

I've been looking at external solid state drive storage options for a while now, obviously a terabyte of solid state storage is really expensive so I'll make do with 256 or 512 gigabyte options (should be more than enough.) With the speeds of a solid state drive, editing videos will be more fluid altogether and I think that's more important than being able to fit more projects on your plate. Plus, your files are much safer on a solid state drive!