How much storage should an active YouTube creator have?

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
I'm working with about 1.5 Tb at the moment. Was wondering how you guys manage your videos after they have been edited. Do you just delete the excess and keep the final, compressed product? What do you guys do?

Reactions: Danny and GreenManX

NikeDebuts2K15

Shoe Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
I normally delete the rendered video or just store it on a flash drive because I'd rather not put my money out on a big 1.5 tb until I take it more seriously and have gained more attention. Hope I helped. :)

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
I usually delete the video files and such associated with the video after i have completed and compressed it into the form that i upload (which ends up being around 3gb). The raw video materials usually range from 180-200+ gb for me, so it's kind of a necessity X-X

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I have a 3TB drive. However, I do have a program setup to automatically delete older videos. I have it setup to delete anything older than a month for series that I record at least 2 - 3 videos of per week. Anything that is 1 video per week I have it setup for 2 months instead.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
1TB is reasonable for any YouTube creator. I would personally prefer a set of 3 2TB drives. One for storing just completed videos which have been uploaded (never know when you need to use your old videos for something), another drive for regular things, storing non-essential items from your Steam library, and another for putting videos of which are raw onto.
I would also take a 1TB SSD for Windows and games I'm currently playing.

That will one day be my set. But maybe 3TB drives instead.

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
T

theentertainmentguy

I have about 26 videos up at the moment and they take up about 68gb of space. So eventually in the long run, im going to need another HDD to store just finished videos on >-<

You should buy a new HDD or delete the ones you are not working on.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I have about 26 videos up at the moment and they take up about 68gb of space. So eventually in the long run, im going to need another HDD to store just finished videos on >-<

Just delete the ones you no longer need. I delete them after about a month or so, just to keep a bit of a buffer just in case. However, after that month I don't see any reason to keep them, especially since you can just download the original from youtube. Think of youtube as a storage for all your videos, the only thing that will prevent you from downloading the original is if your video gets claimed for copyright.

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
It depends what the Youtuber wants to do. I don`t see the point to have much video saved if you only do let`s play. You don`t do much cutting and you won`t probable comeback to older events.

However, if you are doing something like Channel Awesome or the AVGN does you would need to record and save every game session and also every show to make references to old shows... well, both has an archive room for a reason.

Reactions: Nuke

NannerAirCraft

Freedom! Member
Feb 15, 2015
YouTube
NannerManCan
I only have a 500GB hard drive but I manage as my videos aren't too big. I keep both the unedited video and the fully rendered out video just for safe keeping I guess. I really want to get another hard drive just so I can store it but I should be good as I have about 100GB left still.

SoundEffects

Freedom! Member
Jun 2, 2015
YouTube
I'm working with about 1.5 Tb at the moment. Was wondering how you guys manage your videos after they have been edited. Do you just delete the excess and keep the final, compressed product? What do you guys do?

hahaha get a portable storage device. It'l save your life. And make it a USB 3.0 if you can it's faster and better. Or keep it on your 1.5 tb hdd unless you somehow have a 1.5 5b ssd lol. I have a 500 gig sdd and half of it is videos and **** for youtube.[DOUBLEPOST=1446190424][/DOUBLEPOST]Also if you're a gamer, and you use Fraps. Convert the .AVI files to .mp4 it will save your life. .AVI isn't really necessary in my opinion.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Make sure you Use A USB Flash Drive 3.0 Because If Your computer Stops Working You Will Lose Everything
And 1TB Will Be Fine Right now I Have 2TB
I only have around 300GB total and everything is fine for me since I have software that encodes all my files very small compared to normal sizes. Also, I clean out all my videos after they are uploaded so all I have to deal with is software and games . Some people don't need that much storage.

Flex Bormarr

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2015
Iowa
YouTube
I have a 1TB. I have had my computer for about a year and am about half way through it, a large portion of it being games that I downloaded. Eventually I will start deleting old video files.

UnderGroundTank

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2014
YouTube
It depends on what you do with your videos. If your record a few videos and use parts of each video or record alot back to back for a series then you may need 1-3T I have a 1T HHD and i have to clean it often because i never delete a video because i feel something can always be used for something else in the future.