How long does it take for you to edit a video?

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube
It Normaly takes around an hour for me to edit a video that's 30 mins I love to make sure there's no errors and honestly I enjoy watching my videos improve!

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
Mmm, it depends on the video. Sometimes when I'm bothered 2x as much during a recording (dogs barking, boyfriend demanding attention, tons of text messages) I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm editing. Those can take onwards of 30 minutes.

If it's a smooth recording session, then the edit time is probably 15-20 minutes with checking and double checking and creating end card.

My videos don't usually last 30 minutes, so I don't think I've ever spent an hour on editing.
Actually, my collab videos are pretty long. Okay. Those might take about an hour.

Reactions: CMTXRATED

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Depends on what kind of video I am making... Some I dont edit at all, just render it to mp4... others i spend well over 8 hours editing, to make the cuts more fluid, and adjusting video speed to fit music...

For instance my south park video take 6+ hours to make. First i make a 1-2 minute recap of the previous episode and then i cut all the loading screens and menus out of the game to make it flow, and add in a timmy fast travel scene everytime I fast travel (the game actually only does it the first time) plus i do some voice over stuff.

And my GTAV like a rock ☆ videos take even longer 12+ hours each... because of the way i had to do it. The video editor in gta doesnt left you edit cut scenes, or export your video to your computer. So I had to record with fraps, while recording with the rockstar editor when i could. Then edit the rockstar clips, which takes a long time. Then upload the clips to youtube as private...

I can then download the videos from youtube and put them into my video editor, and splice the rockstar edited clips into the rest of the footage i recorded with fraps.

I also added music from position music over top the times i was in a car, cause the games radio gets claimed.

On top of all that, i would have to play the mission several times to get the video right, cause its fairly difficult to remember to toggle the in game recorder and car radio at the right times when your in the middle of a firefight or whatever.

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube
Depends on what kind of video I am making... Some I dont edit at all, just render it to mp4... others i spend well over 8 hours editing, to make the cuts more fluid, and adjusting video speed to fit music...

For instance my south park video take 6+ hours to make. First i make a 1-2 minute recap of the previous episode and then i cut all the loading screens and menus out of the game to make it flow, and add in a timmy fast travel scene everytime I fast travel (the game actually only does it the first time) plus i do some voice over stuff.

And my GTAV like a rock ☆ videos take even longer 12+ hours each... because of the way i had to do it. The video editor in gta doesnt left you edit cut scenes, or export your video to your computer. So I had to record with fraps, while recording with the rockstar editor when i could. Then edit the rockstar clips, which takes a long time. Then upload the clips to youtube as private...

I can then download the videos from youtube and put them into my video editor, and splice the rockstar edited clips into the rest of the footage i recorded with fraps.

I also added music from position music over top the times i was in a car, cause the games radio gets claimed.

On top of all that, i would have to play the mission several times to get the video right, cause its fairly difficult to remember to toggle the in game recorder and car radio at the right times when your in the middle of a firefight or whatever.
How long do you make them? Shouldn't take like over 12+ hours dude

CAMBAM

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Sep 15, 2014
YouTube
For me it really depends as usual. If I'm making something like a funny moments, its gonna take me and hour or 2. If its a quick little funny skit or vlog type vid It'll take anywhere from 30 mins to an hour

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
How long do you make them? Shouldn't take like over 12+ hours dude
Have you seen them? Theres alot of edits in the video. And the rockstar editor is very slow to render and upload to youtube... which also effects the time... about 3-4 hours of the time is just waiting for the stupid rockstar editor to upload and stuff... lol

Thats why i only made 3 episodes... took too much time...

The whole process is rediculous... Im not surprised when i dont see anyone else making videos this way... I love the editor... but its got some things that make it a pain to work with

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube
Have you seen them? Theres alot of edits in the video. And the rockstar editor is very slow to render and upload to youtube... which also effects the time... about 3-4 hours of the time is just waiting for the stupid rockstar editor to upload and stuff... lol

Thats why i only made 3 episodes... took too much time...

The whole process is rediculous... Im not surprised when i dont see anyone else making videos this way... I love the editor... but its got some things that make it a pain to work with
Oh I'm talking about the splicing plus I use lightworks to edit videos

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
It Normaly takes around an hour for me to edit a video that's 30 mins I love to make sure there's no errors and honestly I enjoy watching my videos improve!
I just double check the recordings to make sure they're alright. If I made a 22 minute video, I'll have to watch everything. Adding in the special effect doesn't take that much time at all. I do write a decent chunk for the descriptions, but it's personal preference.

Shubham Goel

Mar 16, 2016
YouTube

Yeah i agree, roughly the same amount of time, though a lot of the time it can take me hours...this is due to me being able to see very little. Which leads to me making mistakes quite often without noticing :p

NerdtasticHD

Freedom! Member
May 13, 2015
YouTube
Hey guys, takeso me 30mins to edit like colour correct and sharper. Then that takes about 2 ish hours to render a 45 min video

ItsSoSimplez

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2016
YouTube

Normally Takes me an hour to edit my normal content and about 30-40 mins rendering time

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Massively dependent on the video.

A regular vlog of mine might take 2 hours to edit, or it might take 3-4 hours to edit. Depends on what is there and how much of it I want to use. Rendering averages around 1:30 per minute of video, which means 15 minutes of rendering for a 10 minute video.

Demkeys

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2014
YouTube
abhinav_Demkeys
The amount of time it would take to edit a video, as mentioned above, highly depends on the video. For example, my videos so far have all been tutorials. So, if I make a mistake (I make a LOT of mistakes), I can repeat that line and step again and again till I'm satisfied, and then move on. The advantage is that I can cut out the parts of the video that I don't want (mistakes, pauses, etc.). However, it takes quite some time to edit. Cutting out minor pieces from a huge recording takes a lot of time. I have to take multiple breaks and do something else in the mean time. It's all worth it in the end thought because the final video turns out great. The viewer is engaged in the video from the beginning to the end. But that's for tutorials.
For Let's Plays, Vlogs, etc. the editing workflow may be different.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Depends. Since short i am trying to make montages from best moments and such. My first edit took me 8 hours as it contains 10 sec fragments from around 30 video's. My Star wars battlefront montage took me an hour and my FFXIV Alexander montage 2 hours. It depends on what i want to make and what i need for it.