help - what do you use to record game play

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
hi,

i was just wondering what people used to record game play videos and how they do record like at what fps and things like that ok

i am rather new to recording game play so i was needing a little help form more established gamers.

at the moment i use fraps and 30 fps and basically just convert it in format factory to 4k and upload it.

any advice would be useful, thanks

charles meekins

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
First advice... don't try to upscale your videos to 4k...
Because if someone tries to watch your '4k' video they are gonna be able to tell it's up scaled....

And if anyone tries to watch below 4k, they are going to get up converted then downconverted content which is likely not going to look as good as the original video...

Upload in the screen resolution you play at.

Second 30 fps is fine... but if your playing something with alot of motion like a fps 60fps is preferred.

I record with Fraps and sometimes shadowplay, and I stream with xsplit

Reactions: Charles Meekins

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
what
First advice... don't try to upscale your videos to 4k...
Because if someone tries to watch your '4k' video they are gonna be able to tell it's up scaled....

And if anyone tries to watch below 4k, they are going to get up converted then downconverted content which is likely not going to look as good as the original video...

Upload in the screen resolution you play at.

Second 30 fps is fine... but if your playing something with alot of motion like a fps 60fps is preferred.

I record with Fraps and sometimes shadowplay, and I stream with xsplit
what is shadow play? software or hardware

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
what

what is shadow play? software or hardware
Shadowplay comes with a geforce video card drivers. Amd has a similar thing as well . But I don't know anyone who uses it...

Afterburner is a free option that makes a nice quality video if you don't have either of those... it's setup is a little complicated but you can watch a video that will walk you through it

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
On Xbox one I can record for free using the twitch app (100% free). Im pretty sure that it also works on PS4. For PC id recommend using FRAPS
i do use fraps but not sure how to make a clean cut (end of one video and begin another video) without losing any game play

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
i sometimes get problems with the frame rate not staying constant in fraps (even when checked in the options) is there something i'm doing wrong
You might be getting bottlenecked by your hard drive. Where FRAPS shows what you're recording and your hard drive might now be fast enough to store it correctly.
But more likely than that, your gaming rig might not be powerful enough to support both the game and FRAPS recording at the same time.

Rekashal

Sep 24, 2014
YouTube
like how people make a series of videos on a single game, like part 1 and part 2 etc...

They do it individually. They end one episodes recording then start a second one. I believe F9 is the hotkey on fraps. Just turn it off and turn it back on and it will start a second recording in the same location as the first one. The only thing you would need to stop would be your audio recording program. Export the file, start a new audio recording and BAM start the next episode. Just remember what parts go with what then edit them together. I have about 4 episodes consisting of just the fraps file and the WAV file. Just have to go into premiere and sync the proper ones up.

Hope that helps.

MrMario609

New User
Nov 27, 2015
I would recommend using OBS! It's free for PC, and if you have a Mac use Quicktime Player. Both of these recording softwares should record your gameplay at a smooth FPS with the right settings!

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
ok i downloaded without within (free vn on steam) and will try recording it as a sort of test demo to see how it come out and i'm (at the moment) not doing commentary

ITW Games

Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2015
Midwest USA
YouTube
ScottWood2569
So no one here used DXTory. I thought that was like one of the good softwares.
I guess it does cost. It's not free but its still pretty good. If you go to the website it says tos 3800 japanese yen. That's like 31 usd.

Goober Games

New User
Nov 26, 2015
I use Bandicam to record, if does not decrease the frames by that much compared to other recording software so that's a pro.