Getting Personal

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
So the title says it all :cool: How personal do you get in your video's? :p

For me Youtube is place where I feel safe and accepted, I can tottaly be meself so sometimes I get more personal allot easier then in real life! Maybe because I feel more accepted as I go on with sharing my personality and experiences and having loving comments in return.

I do try to limit myself to not go to far though and become a realitysoap and just share what I'm comfortable with and have cleared my mind about.

(Recently I got asked to make video about how YT changed my life to celebrate my 500 subs, but I learned that was to early for me because I am going trough to much changes at the moment so I decided not to do it in the end, but maybe in the future I will!)

So how do you get personal or not on your channel?

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

GLP Matty

CEO and Founder of Illuminati
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
GLPMatty
I'm very open with my subscribers. The only thing I refuse to talk about is my relationships and sex life. I have no problem talking about my past with mental health or go into great detail on my views no matter how controversial they may be. I think youtube is great because everyone gets an opinion. Although granted sometimes people take advantage of that fact...

Reactions: Olivea Sea

DemFrostyFlakes

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2016

For me Youtube is place where I feel safe and accepted, I can tottaly be meself so sometimes I get more personal allot easier then in real life! Maybe because I feel more accepted as I go on with sharing my personality and experiences and having loving comments in return.

I do try to limit myself to not go to far though and become a realitysoap and just share what I'm comfortable with and have cleared my mind about.

(Recently I got asked to make video about how YT changed my life to celebrate my 500 subs, but I learned that was to early for me because I am going trough to much changes at the moment so I decided not to do it in the end, but maybe in the future I will!)

It's good to get very personal in your videos so your audience knows you better, but it can be scary some people you don't want them to know about you.

Caleb Calvert

Rising User
May 2, 2016
Too personal gives people too much ammo, or too much info on your personal life... keep that a little private. I know that's what I like anyways... although most audiences do like to see the real you, whomever that may be! :)

EdwinEarth

Rising User
May 4, 2016
I intend to be formal and blunt. I may not share much in the way of what's going on in my life, but I'll definitely list highlights, as well as drawbacks should my YouTube Schedule become less flexible. =]

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite

I am happy to share my personality and the happier aspects of my life, so the people viewing my videos get the best me.

That doesn't mean I am not honest with them, If I am unhappy about something that is not too private I will share that with them and offer my opinion on the matter.

There is such a thing as oversharing. But your channel defiantly has found the right balance of personal.

Keep up the great work.

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I'm very open with my subscribers. The only thing I refuse to talk about is my relationships and sex life. I have no problem talking about my past with mental health or go into great detail on my views no matter how controversial they may be. I think youtube is great because everyone gets an opinion. Although granted sometimes people take advantage of that fact...

Yeah you should always look out people can't use something against you in the future :p LOL my sex life is a no go area as well! I actually asked my bf if he wanted to stay out of my Vlogmas video's but he actually liked to be in them so it was no problem. (Where together for 14 years in September! )

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Personal? I'm a bit personal with my viewers but I try not to voice my opinion on sensitive topics. It's the internet and what you say can backlash so hard and before you know it, what you worked so hard for is gone in an instant.

I think it's funny how some youtubers thrive on conterversiality or on the everything is oke disclaimer! There is a pretty big gap there!
I could be a thing to get scorned for or it could be the thing people watch your vids for that could go both ways o_O

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
It's good to get very personal in your videos so your audience knows you better, but it can be scary some people you don't want them to know about you.

Yeah I don't think I would put anything up on YT, that I wouldn't tell a friend that I just made.
But I'm a very open person who rather is just upfront about things :p I know not everybody like to be that way :p

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Too personal gives people too much ammo, or too much info on your personal life... keep that a little private. I know that's what I like anyways... although most audiences do like to see the real you, whomever that may be! :)

Too much always too much and that is never good :p But in that way I think a personality just should not be to much :p

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I intend to be formal and blunt. I may not share much in the way of what's going on in my life, but I'll definitely list highlights, as well as drawbacks should my YouTube Schedule become less flexible. =]

Being yourself if that for example is being formally blunt that is sharing yourself ass wel in a way! I'm never really into Youtubers that try to stay 100% polite and they become bland in a way.

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I am happy to share my personality and the happier aspects of my life, so the people viewing my videos get the best me.

That doesn't mean I am not honest with them, If I am unhappy about something that is not too private I will share that with them and offer my opinion on the matter.

There is such a thing as oversharing. But your channel defiantly has found the right balance of personal.

Keep up the great work.

Personal I try to do that as well but on the other side when I'm going trough something I try to find similar story's on Youtube to cope with my own so sometimes, I don't know maybe I feel like I should add to the mix ;)! ps. Thanks for the compliment!

Reactions: Jac Morton