Commentating tips?

SpankMeImAZN

Rising User
Hey everyone!

For those of you who do commentaries, what tips can you give for a beginner like me? The problem that I have when trying to do a commentary is that I get nervous and I tend to stutter or run out of things to say. In general, I'm not a shy person by any means. I love to talk and interact with people but it's when I start commentating, I find myself in an awkward position. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Whenever I commentate, I imagine talking beside a friend who's watching me play, wondering what the heck is going on. So, basically, I just describe the events, what I'm gonna be doing, how I'll do it and so. If something funny were to happen, I just came up with a stupid joke that even my "friend" would cringe, because that's how I simply am in person XD. So, for me, you can just pretend you're talking to a friend and just be yourself.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Edit, edit, edit. It's important that you edit out the long bits where you aren't talking, unless it's a cutscene. But it is also imperitive that you speak during the big events and action that would require your speaking.

Also, as long as you don't sound phony it is possible to superimpose some voiceover audio with your jokes and commentary after the video has been recorded.

illumANark

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Whenever I commentate, I imagine talking beside a friend who's watching me play, wondering what the heck is going on. So, basically, I just describe the events, what I'm gonna be doing, how I'll do it and so. If something funny were to happen, I just came up with a stupid joke that even my "friend" would cringe, because that's how I simply am in person XD. So, for me, you can just pretend you're talking to a friend and just be yourself.
I like your advice I have no problem commentating when it comes to vlogs, but I have a little problem myself when I am trying to commentate for a Let's Play because I edit out the long travel, so commentary has to be voiceover. And that I do not have a problem doing a voice over, but then it deletes the importance of a facecam.

drewink

New User
You don't necessarily need to talk 100% about the game. Talk about your day! Anything! I think a lot of people enjoy the human aspect anyway. Getting a friend to sit there with you helps a lot.

Panic Puppet Gaming

Freedom! Member
It depends see i dont edit anything out, even if i make mistakes everything thats shown is actual genuine stuff, if you mis-pronounce something then just laugh it off, i feel it gives it that raw viewing, i think if you edit too much out its noticeable and more often than not it then makes the viewer wonder if any of it is then genuine? everything has their own opinions on this my the looks of things, but find out what works best for you and then try to look upon it.

Prology

Legendary User
Freedom! Member
it can depends on videos but I don't tend to edit anything out unless there are chunks were I don't speak and this is because I have videos of like 8 minutes and I like to talk about anything really xD I talk about my channel and were it is going and I talk about the gameplay a lot , I can find it hard sometimes to talk about things but if I do a video were I don't speak much then I will redo the whole video and pick a topic and go with it :) I was very nervous when I first started and di not talk as much but as I have got on people have said well done and it helps me because are liking the videos , so I must do something right :)

So either pick a topic and give with it , or talk about your channel a bit and what your thinking for the next day of videos or talk about what your playing and why your doing certain things :)

SpankMeImAZN

Rising User

Thanks! This one is super helpful since I'm with my friends I tend to be on the dorky side :p. I guess I would need to get used to imagine my friend being there.[DOUBLEPOST=1452286237][/DOUBLEPOST]
You don't necessarily need to talk 100% about the game. Talk about your day! Anything! I think a lot of people enjoy the human aspect anyway. Getting a friend to sit there with you helps a lot.

I like your advice a lot. Personally, I find it difficult to talk about a game such as a How To, Tutorials, or tips and tricks since so many people already make videos like that. Although, I have found that there are people who enjoy watching those types of people who are not too hyped up. Also, I find that it's easier for me to talk about my life or just randomness that's not even related to the game[DOUBLEPOST=1452286357][/DOUBLEPOST]
It depends see i dont edit anything out, even if i make mistakes everything thats shown is actual genuine stuff, if you mis-pronounce something then just laugh it off, i feel it gives it that raw viewing, i think if you edit too much out its noticeable and more often than not it then makes the viewer wonder if any of it is then genuine? everything has their own opinions on this my the looks of things, but find out what works best for you and then try to look upon it.

I agree with you 100% on the editing part. I feel like if edits are necessary then go ahead and do it but other than that I love having screw ups in a video. It adds more character in my opinion[DOUBLEPOST=1452286509][/DOUBLEPOST]
it can depends on videos but I don't tend to edit anything out unless there are chunks were I don't speak and this is because I have videos of like 8 minutes and I like to talk about anything really xD I talk about my channel and were it is going and I talk about the gameplay a lot , I can find it hard sometimes to talk about things but if I do a video were I don't speak much then I will redo the whole video and pick a topic and go with it :) I was very nervous when I first started and di not talk as much but as I have got on people have said well done and it helps me because are liking the videos , so I must do something right :)

So either pick a topic and give with it , or talk about your channel a bit and what your thinking for the next day of videos or talk about what your playing and why your doing certain things :)

Thanks for the advice! I have trouble with finding a topic to talk about. Usually I'll have topics randomly pop up in my head and end up forgetting what it is that I wanted to talk about. I used to stream on twitch and when I had people coming back for me, it gave me a huge confidence boost.

Last edited:

Prology

Legendary User
Freedom! Member
Thanks! This one is super helpful since I'm with my friends I tend to be on the dorky side :p. I guess I would need to get used to imagine my friend being there.[DOUBLEPOST=1452286237][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like your advice a lot. Personally, I find it difficult to talk about a game such as a How To, Tutorials, or tips and tricks since so many people already make videos like that. Although, I have found that there are people who enjoy watching those types of people who are not too hyped up. Also, I find that it's easier for me to talk about my life or just randomness that's not even related to the game[DOUBLEPOST=1452286357][/DOUBLEPOST]

I agree with you 100% on the editing part. I feel like if edits are necessary then go ahead and do it but other than that I love having screw ups in a video. It adds more character in my opinion[DOUBLEPOST=1452286509][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thanks for the advice! I have trouble with finding a topic to talk about. Usually I'll have topics randomly pop up in my head and end up forgetting what it is that I wanted to talk about. I used to stream on twitch and when I had people coming back for me, it gave me a huge confidence boost.

xD haha it can be tough sometimes but if you think of a topic write it down , then your remember , I do this sometimes and it helps a lot , I wish you the best of luck :)

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Hey everyone!

For those of you who do commentaries, what tips can you give for a beginner like me? The problem that I have when trying to do a commentary is that I get nervous and I tend to stutter or run out of things to say. In general, I'm not a shy person by any means. I love to talk and interact with people but it's when I start commentating, I find myself in an awkward position. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
Relax and do a quick run through and possibly practice recording.
Also, some people find it easier to write down a transcript or prompt and then read that off.
Even live commentaries should have some type of research and/or transcript.
Let me know if this helps you, good luck :)

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Well, when I was starting doing the commentary, I was nervous as well; heart was pounding, I'm stuttering, I don't know what to say, there are more awkward silences than good commentary footage. What I did is just basically not think of what to say, just say it anyway. There are a few exceptions though, like be sure to not offend anyone. But if you can't do that, then I think you should like write down main points of what you want to talk about (If not Let's Plays), then just work your way from those main points, or write what you want to say down, then just keep on readin it. I don't know if that is effective, but at least you wrote down the things you want to say.
Also, be yourself. Like me, I wanted to scream sometimes because of frustration in some of my gaming vids, but I can't cause it's 2 AM, and I don't want to wake anyone up. Just keep on doing it, and you'll eventually find the confidence. After you've done it in a while, watch your previous videos and see if you have improved already, what do you think was still there that should've been gone by now, etc. I hope I helped! I'm not even a pro in this, but those are the things that I do :))

SpankMeImAZN

Rising User
Relax and do a quick run through and possibly practice recording.
Also, some people find it easier to write down a transcript or prompt and then read that off.
Even live commentaries should have some type of research and/or transcript.
Let me know if this helps you, good luck :)

I feel like if I had a prompt, it would make everything easier and maybe a few practice recordings will help. Thanks for the advice :) its greatly appreciated[DOUBLEPOST=1452351472][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, when I was starting doing the commentary, I was nervous as well; heart was pounding, I'm stuttering, I don't know what to say, there are more awkward silences than good commentary footage. What I did is just basically not think of what to say, just say it anyway. There are a few exceptions though, like be sure to not offend anyone. But if you can't do that, then I think you should like write down main points of what you want to talk about (If not Let's Plays), then just work your way from those main points, or write what you want to say down, then just keep on readin it. I don't know if that is effective, but at least you wrote down the things you want to say.
Also, be yourself. Like me, I wanted to scream sometimes because of frustration in some of my gaming vids, but I can't cause it's 2 AM, and I don't want to wake anyone up. Just keep on doing it, and you'll eventually find the confidence. After you've done it in a while, watch your previous videos and see if you have improved already, what do you think was still there that should've been gone by now, etc. I hope I helped! I'm not even a pro in this, but those are the things that I do :))

I don't mind if you're a pro or not a pro at this. Any tips help :)
I think I just need a lot of practice doing this. The majority of people had the same advice which was to write down the main points and it seems to be the most common technique that people use.
As for being myself, I get so nervous that I feel like I'm not myself. I honestly think I need to relax and not worry so much lol but thank you for your help[DOUBLEPOST=1452351567][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank you everyone for your advice! Hopefully when I get off work later today, I'll be able to make my first video. This community is awesome :D <3

Last edited:

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
I feel like if I had a prompt, it would make everything easier and maybe a few practice recordings will help. Thanks for the advice :) its greatly appreciated[DOUBLEPOST=1452351472][/DOUBLEPOST]

I don't mind if you're a pro or not a pro at this. Any tips help :)
I think I just need a lot of practice doing this. The majority of people had the same advice which was to write down the main points and it seems to be the most common technique that people use.
As for being myself, I get so nervous that I feel like I'm not myself. I honestly think I need to relax and not worry so much lol but thank you for your help[DOUBLEPOST=1452351567][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank you everyone for your advice! Hopefully when I get off work later today, I'll be able to make my first video. This community is awesome :D <3
No problem at all, I use those tips myself on my channel. I'm happy I could help :)

CarbonMeister

Call Of Duty YouTuber
Freedom! Member
For me editing is my best friend i cut out all the "UMM" and when i stop to inhale lol i cut everything that isn't me talking out and ive gotten good feedback SO FAR but reading all these tips has me viewing things from a WHOLE other perspective now lol

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
What I recommend is just be yourself, if you stutter because of nerves then don't worry about it, unless you have doing this for a long time people will understand and shouldn't criticise you for stuttering, god knows I've done it many times in the past. As TheAimGames suggested, pretend that your talking to a friend sat next to you, describe things to your audiences, make cringe worthy jokes, just make sure to be yourself.

Obviously the commentary aspect will become much easier when you have done a few times, I know at the beginning I struggled finding things to talk about but after doing a few I find myself having to reign myself in as I find myself prattling on about things which have nothing to do with the game im playing. Just keep in minds things aren't going to be perfect and it will take time to learn the way you like doing it, just be yourself and see what happens. If you need any help or would like anyone to review your recording or give some feedback, then let me know as im always happy to help.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Personally i love the editing process-- cutting out boring gameplay and times when you don't really have much to say. Sometimes I even record commentary while editing the video if I think it will enhance the overall feel. Of course it seems that my commentary style is a little different from most in that I'm aiming to drive a more cinematic/movie-type feel with my videos.

There's plenty of avenues to try out. Give different commentary options a try and see which one balances between your comfortability level while still being entertaining, and you'll most likely come up with something that works for you and your audience.

DuhhSwifteh

Rising User
Hey everyone!

Good to see that you are trying to make good commentaries and are seeking help. Everyone stutters and is nervous when they start out but over time you will get more used to it. One thing the mainly Call of Duty youtubers do is cut coms. It is a normal commentary but you just cut out the parts where you stutter or are silent and don't know what to say. I personally do this and it is a great way to practice commentating without your actual video sounding like your extremely nervous.

If you are doing more on an informative type video I would recommend to write down all of your major points of the video on the computer or a piece of paper and maybe practice a little before you start. This will make sure you keep on track and will remind you of things that you may forget to say.

Hope this helped :)