Commentating tips?

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Practice makes perfect really. For me it took a while for me to get into a real comfort zone commentating. I basically just kept doing it and eventually I got more and more comfortable doing it over time.

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
I think this is a vital subject and I've found myself worrying about my own commentary as well, I recently purchased a new microphone (condenser) which has changed the quality of my voice and the way I sound but I find it more harder to plan a good commentary write up and speak freely on them. The Flow of commentary is what I find hard to nail.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem, You're not alone...!

SpankMeImAZN

Rising User
Nov 6, 2015
For me editing is my best friend i cut out all the "UMM" and when i stop to inhale lol i cut everything that isn't me talking out and ive gotten good feedback SO FAR but reading all these tips has me viewing things from a WHOLE other perspective now lol

Thanks! I think when I first start off I'll have trouble with the "UMMM" and dead silence parts[DOUBLEPOST=1452493638][/DOUBLEPOST]
i say keep doing it, you'll get better in the long run XD

Thank you! I know that this all takes practice over time lol[DOUBLEPOST=1452493839][/DOUBLEPOST]
What I recommend is just be yourself, if you stutter because of nerves then don't worry about it, unless you have doing this for a long time people will understand and shouldn't criticise you for stuttering, god knows I've done it many times in the past. As TheAimGames suggested, pretend that your talking to a friend sat next to you, describe things to your audiences, make cringe worthy jokes, just make sure to be yourself.

Obviously the commentary aspect will become much easier when you have done a few times, I know at the beginning I struggled finding things to talk about but after doing a few I find myself having to reign myself in as I find myself prattling on about things which have nothing to do with the game im playing. Just keep in minds things aren't going to be perfect and it will take time to learn the way you like doing it, just be yourself and see what happens. If you need any help or would like anyone to review your recording or give some feedback, then let me know as im always happy to help.

Thank you! My problem is that I try to be too much of a perfectionist. I know it's going to take me awhile to get used to doing all of this but I'll eventually get the hang of it. I'll let you know when I get my first video up :)[DOUBLEPOST=1452493954][/DOUBLEPOST]
Personally i love the editing process-- cutting out boring gameplay and times when you don't really have much to say. Sometimes I even record commentary while editing the video if I think it will enhance the overall feel. Of course it seems that my commentary style is a little different from most in that I'm aiming to drive a more cinematic/movie-type feel with my videos.

There's plenty of avenues to try out. Give different commentary options a try and see which one balances between your comfortability level while still being entertaining, and you'll most likely come up with something that works for you and your audience.

I get you. I want to do something different than everyone else but at the same time, be comfortable with what I am doing. Everyone has their own style of how they do things and like what you said - find something that works with me and my audience. I appreciate your help :)[DOUBLEPOST=1452494039][/DOUBLEPOST]
Practice makes perfect really. For me it took a while for me to get into a real comfort zone commentating. I basically just kept doing it and eventually I got more and more comfortable doing it over time.

Yeah I figured it takes time and practice lol thank you :D I hope that I'll be able to reach my comfort zone :eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1452494073][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like to make text documents and have it open while I record the audio just so I can remember what i wanted to talk about

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind when I start making videos[DOUBLEPOST=1452494150][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think this is a vital subject and I've found myself worrying about my own commentary as well, I recently purchased a new microphone (condenser) which has changed the quality of my voice and the way I sound but I find it more harder to plan a good commentary write up and speak freely on them. The Flow of commentary is what I find hard to nail.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem, You're not alone...!

Ahhh that's exactly the problem is the flow. Lol I can have a conversation in person with ease but once I get to the mic I have a brain fart xD I hope that it all works out for you too[DOUBLEPOST=1452494357][/DOUBLEPOST]You guys are all amazing and I appreciate each and every one of you for the help that you've given me (and by the looks of it, others as well). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make a video this weekend but once I get off work later today I'll give it a go. Wish me luck everyone :D

Last edited:

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Thanks! I think when I first start off I'll have trouble with the "UMMM" and dead silence parts[DOUBLEPOST=1452493638][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you! I know that this all takes practice over time lol[DOUBLEPOST=1452493839][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you! My problem is that I try to be too much of a perfectionist. I know it's going to take me awhile to get used to doing all of this but I'll eventually get the hang of it. I'll let you know when I get my first video up :)[DOUBLEPOST=1452493954][/DOUBLEPOST]

I get you. I want to do something different than everyone else but at the same time, be comfortable with what I am doing. Everyone has their own style of how they do things and like what you said - find something that works with me and my audience. I appreciate your help :)[DOUBLEPOST=1452494039][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah I figured it takes time and practice lol thank you :D I hope that I'll be able to reach my comfort zone :eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1452494073][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind when I start making videos[DOUBLEPOST=1452494150][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ahhh that's exactly the problem is the flow. Lol I can have a conversation in person with ease but once I get to the mic I have a brain fart xD I hope that it all works out for you too[DOUBLEPOST=1452494357][/DOUBLEPOST]You guys are all amazing and I appreciate each and every one of you for the help that you've given me (and by the looks of it, others as well). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make a video this weekend but once I get off work later today I'll give it a go. Wish me luck everyone :D

GOOD LUCK (From me and everyone else) SpankMeImAZN !!!!!!!!!!!!