Youtube Reduces My Video Quality Significantly

BerryGamez

Rising User
Jan 17, 2016
YouTube
Hey guys, I currently record my gameplay using obs (Open Broadcaster Software) And before uploading to youtube, Perfect quality, After rendering, Perfect quality, Then i upload to youtube and my quality goes down the drain. I downloaded the mp4 files of some of my videos and I record in 1920x1080p 60fps. Youtube compressed my videos to 1280x720p 30fps!?!?! Does anyone know any workarounds to this or obs settings or adobe premiere pro cc/hitfilm 3 express settings that will make youtube not compress my quality!!! I really need help to please reply if you have managed to get clear, crisp videos because i have not!

NinjaZombieGaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2014
YouTube
NZGsNinja
youtube will always compress the quality of your videos, they will always look worse on youtube then they do straight out of premiere but it shouldn't mess with the resolution size or frame rate, are you sure you allowed it proper time to process on youtube, (it takes longer to process 1080p60fps) usually even when a video is "done processing" it can still take a few hours for youtube to fully process the video[DOUBLEPOST=1453361736][/DOUBLEPOST]btw as far as export settings in adobe premiere, i use,
format: h.264
preset: (custom) YouTube 1080p60fps
resolution: 1920 x 1080
frame rate: 60 (59.94 also works)
aspect: square pixels
profile: high
Level 4.2
bitrate encoding: VBR, 2 pass (super important that you use 2 pass)
target bitrate: 16mbps
max bit rate: 62.5mbps (basically slider all the way to the right)
DO NOT worry about the check box called "Use Maximum Render Quality" you will not notice the difference in quality in most videos, but it will take much longer to render.

Feel free to ask me any other sort of questions about editing I've taken many classes and learned a lot on my own from online, just because im really into video/photo/audio quality, im always trying to improve mine. However I am by no means a professional just an enthusiast so theres definitely a lot of people out there who know more then me.

Last edited:

NinjaZombieGaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2014
YouTube
NZGsNinja
Thanks ill try and toy with some more settings, But also what do you use to record as in software wise?
depending on the game, dxtory or bandicam, dxtory being my go to, bandicam for anything dxtory doesn't recognize or for recording my monitor, i also use a codec called lagarith lossless for both software's, if you are interested heres a link to the codec, its good quality and much smaller file size then dxtorys original codec, http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html, im not sure if you can change the codec obs uses to record i honestly dont remember, its been awhile since i used obs to record[DOUBLEPOST=1453406504][/DOUBLEPOST]come to think of it, if you can only afford one i'd go with bandicam it can record anything, dxtory can only record games and not flash games or some indie games it doesn't recognize. dxtory has a ever so slightly advantage in quality because it doesn't compress the videos, but youtube compresses the crap out of videos anyways so maybe it doesn't really matter, the difference in quality btw is not very noticeable but its definitely there and since i personally try for the best possible quality i use dxtory when i can[DOUBLEPOST=1453407418][/DOUBLEPOST]sorry i know im typing alot here but i just realized, a lot of people complain that bandicam has more of a performance hit on your pc than dxtory which will affect your gameplay, since it is compressing the videos at the same time, um i have a really good computer, so i never notice, (my cpu is an intel i7 5820k which has 6 cores, 12 threads, and your cpu will heavily effect how well you can record people believe its you gpu but its not, your gpu is for games the cpu is what is encoding your videos) um so yeah i don't know which one would be better for you then in that regard since i dont know how good your pc is

Last edited:

ToastyBros

Rising User
Dec 20, 2014
YouTube
toastybrostech
here is a tip for you, if you render at a higher resolution. YouTube will allocate a higher bitrate for your video. So lets say you record a 1080p vidoe and upscale it to even just 1440p. The render time may be longer but the quality output on YouTube will look much better due to the higher allocated bitrate by youtube. Its worth a shot you will see the difference.

Reactions: NinjaZombieGaming

NinjaZombieGaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2014
YouTube
NZGsNinja
here is a tip for you, if you render at a higher resolution. YouTube will allocate a higher bitrate for your video. So lets say you record a 1080p vidoe and upscale it to even just 1440p. The render time may be longer but the quality output on YouTube will look much better due to the higher allocated bitrate by youtube. Its worth a shot you will see the difference.
this is definitely true! haha while your at it just upload in 4k XD

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
lol There is a ceiling to doing that trick, for the most part one's better off recording at the higher bit rate and down sampling from there (i.e. recording 4k -> 1080p). What I did want to say is YouTube takes time rendering your video up to whatever resolution you uploaded it. I.e. When the video is immediately available it'll be something like 360p, give it some time...especially if the file is a few GB big.