Peter “Skullbunny” Rogers

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jun 13, 2017
South Africa
YouTube
Skullbunny69
Hey People

I just wanted to find out whether the YoutTube rules if youre channel must have atleast 10 000 Views before you can earn off of youre videos?

Do you guys think this is fair?

I mean there are alot of small channels on youtube that enjoy the extra few rands / dollars a month and they do put alot of effort into their videos too.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Personally I feel that this is fair, 10K views isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, and when people say but 'X users are missing out on X amount of revenue' its silly as 10K views on a 60-40% split might be $6 in total (give or take a little bit).

Also if your uploaded regularly, and making content then this shouldn't take you that long to get, I know several channels that have reached that number overnight due to great tags, videos and putting the work in. Do I believe that certain things about it could be changed to make it fairer to those who had monetisation beforehand, sure, do I think it could of been better outlined, sure. But at the end of the day its done, and there aren't likely to change their minds about it, especially as this is part of their new checks for 'bad channels'

Peter “Skullbunny” Rogers

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jun 13, 2017
South Africa
YouTube
Skullbunny69
Personally I feel that this is fair, 10K views isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, and when people say but 'X users are missing out on X amount of revenue' its silly as 10K views on a 60-40% split might be $6 in total (give or take a little bit).

Also if your uploaded regularly, and making content then this shouldn't take you that long to get, I know several channels that have reached that number overnight due to great tags, videos and putting the work in. Do I believe that certain things about it could be changed to make it fairer to those who had monetisation beforehand, sure, do I think it could of been better outlined, sure. But at the end of the day its done, and there aren't likely to change their minds about it, especially as this is part of their new checks for 'bad channels'

Hey Zeke

I fully agree with you here its just getting to those 10K views can become difficult for the smaller gaming guys

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
I guess if you're really set on earning from YouTube this will be quite an issue, but if it's only a hobby it shouldn't really matter?

But ya, it kinda helps coz if you are worth watching, the views will be a good indicator, and everyone has to start somewhere right? So YouTube and it's clients that put adverts on your videos wanna make sure they are investing with someone that could be worth investing in if you look at it from a business perspective.

Though I would agree with @ninjajou10 why don't they start on a smaller scale of 1,000 views rather than 10,000 when implementing these rules.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I guess if you're really set on earning from YouTube this will be quite an issue, but if it's only a hobby it shouldn't really matter?

But ya, it kinda helps coz if you are worth watching, the views will be a good indicator, and everyone has to start somewhere right? So YouTube and it's clients that put adverts on your videos wanna make sure they are investing with someone that could be worth investing in if you look at it from a business perspective.

Though I would agree with @ninjajou10 why don't they start on a smaller scale of 1,000 views rather than 10,000 when implementing these rules.
Probably as 10K is a good indicator, as certain channels can easily get 1K views overnight - as mentioned by YouTube
"This new threshold gives us enough information to determine the validity of a channel. It also allows us to confirm if a channel is following our community guidelines and advertiser policies. By keeping the threshold to 10k views, we also ensure that there will be minimal impact on our aspiring creators."

Personally I think that 10K was a more than generous number if they set this lower say at 1K then this would have been pretty meaningless, they also probably looked at current average channel views while determining this but who knows for sure, Do I think things could have been done better / differently, sure I do but unfortunately I'm not in a position where my opinion can change things so I just go with the flow as they say

Bingoloit Gamer

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jun 2, 2017
Florida
YouTube
JonJonGames
Hey People

I just wanted to find out whether the YoutTube rules if youre channel must have atleast 10 000 Views before you can earn off of youre videos?

I mean there are alot of small channels on youtube that enjoy the extra few rands / dollars a month and they do put alot of effort into their videos too.
Channels under 10K views cannot earn profit off of their videos until they make that milestone.

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
Probably as 10K is a good indicator, as certain channels can easily get 1K views overnight - as mentioned by YouTube
"This new threshold gives us enough information to determine the validity of a channel. It also allows us to confirm if a channel is following our community guidelines and advertiser policies. By keeping the threshold to 10k views, we also ensure that there will be minimal impact on our aspiring creators."

Personally I think that 10K was a more than generous number if they set this lower say at 1K then this would have been pretty meaningless, they also probably looked at current average channel views while determining this but who knows for sure, Do I think things could have been done better / differently, sure I do but unfortunately I'm not in a position where my opinion can change things so I just go with the flow as they say

I guess you have a point there. Maybe I'm thinking too small since I'm still quite a small channel haha. Well, time to push for those 10K views!

KeithExplores

Freedom! Member
Hey People

I don't think its a matter of fair. Before this policy change, many people were manipulating YouTube and placing adverts on horrible videos. Graphic content videos to be precise... This is against the YouTube terms, and mostly why they introduced this policy to rule out this type of activity. So in a way, I can see why they done it, and agree with the decision. Frankly, YouTube needs to do more than what they are doing now or there will be many more big advertisers pulling out, from advertising on YouTube too. So I welcome these changes.

Peter Johnson

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 22, 2014
YouTube
ThePeterJ_
Koala_Steamed, I think that is an excellent idea. Couldn't say it better myself!
I know a few "new beginner" channels that got boosted to 1.5K subs and well over 50K views from doing almost nothing. It's not about what you know, it's about who you know!
Don't want to get into revenue here, but both new channels make hefty amounts. Not even matchable to my 5 years of YouTube experience.