Youtube and the 1000 Subscriber gap.

Anthomnia

Jul 14, 2015
YouTube
So, I have heard from many sources (Both larger and small youtubers) that if you are below the 1000 subscriber limit your video and channel suffers a penalty from Youtube and it supresses your potential views on certain content allowing larger youtubers a better algorithm to get them more views to grow faster.

Many many people have openly said your first 1-1000 subscribers takes about the same time as 1000-10,000

Is there any truth to this myth? Is it true that Youtube does indeed kick into high gear once you put the work in for your first 1000 viewer subscriptions and at the 1000 point it changes your channel standing / algorithm to a better one to help you grow faster?

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Not sure about subscribers but this is definitely true for at least views. Youtube doesn't rank videos highly unless they already have lots of views and interactions (comments likes and shares). So pretty much Youtube makes it really hard for smaller channels to get noticed.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
Not sure about subscribers but this is definitely true for at least views. Youtube doesn't rank videos highly unless they already have lots of views and interactions (comments likes and shares). So pretty much Youtube makes it really hard for smaller channels to get noticed.
long live the fairness of youtube

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube

I would like to add a little to this. Smaller channels get very little views and thus they don't get much traffic .. so it does effect subs indirectly when you think of it like that. After all there maybe millions who would be willing to subscribe, but if they can't find you ... it doesn't matter.

Then when you eventually surpass that threshold, your videos will begin to be ranked higher which in turn means more views, which in turn means more subscribers.

This is why it always seems like the more popular a channel gets the faster it grows. In fact I would say once your channel passes a certain point it will continue to grow regardless of what you do. I suppose the only way you would stop growing is if you stop releasing videos, or piss off everyone somehow lol.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
It's not really the algorithm that causes it...
It's interaction...
The more people who enjoy your content and share it with friends the further your reach will be...
Not only do you need 1000 subscribers, you need dedicated viewers who actually want to watch your content regularly... and watch it all..., that's what the algorithm picks up on... your view/watchtime ratio... you could get thousands of views, but if people click off the video part way through it also hurts your rank...

Reactions: Chris

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
YouTube's algorithm places your video on the list based on a number of factors. SEO strength, views, minutes watched, likes/dislikes, comments, shares, favorites and a few more.

My default, the smaller channel gets a lower search rank because YouTube's algorithm's just so happen to support the big guy. The bigger the big guy is, the more money YouTube makes.