Tips & Tricks You can pause and resume uploads using this tip.

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Majority of us YouTubers have probably had this problem, we go to upload a video, expecting the upload to take maybe 30 minutes, but then, YouTube decides to mess with your plans by taking an hour, or more!

With a unintentional use of the upload system, you can make it pause and resume at your last point, however this must be done within a certain period of time, otherwise it will restart the upload.

How do you do it?

Whenever you need to leave, and cannot leave your computer on, just click the cancel button. (No seriously, this does work..) - When you need to start the upload again, just reupload it, if you do this within I believe 12 hours, it should just go back to your upload percentage beforehand. This is because the video does still stay "uploaded" on your channel, but obviously backups are not stored forever.

Disclaimer: The last time I checked, this should still work, if this stops working, please alert me as soon as possible and I will remove the post.

Last edited:

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Majority of us YouTubers have probably had this problem, we go to upload a video, expecting the upload to take maybe 30 minutes, but then, YouTube decides to mess with your plans by taking an hour, or more!

With a unintentional use of the upload system, you can make it pause and resume at your last point, however this must be done within a certain period of time, otherwise it will restart the upload.

How do you do it?

Whenever you need to leave, and cannot leave your computer, just click the cancel button. (No seriously, this does work..) - When you need to start the upload again, just reupload it, if you do this within I believe 12 hours, it should just go back to your upload percentage beforehand. This is because the video does still stay "uploaded" on your channel, but obviously backups are not stored forever.

Disclaimer: The last time I checked, this should still work, if this stops working, please alert me as soon as possible and I will remove the post.
Thanks for telling people about this, also:

upload_2017-3-2_22-10-2.png

Yeah I wanted to click it for ya but you messed it up lol

Odenrein

Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2017
YouTube

How do you do it?

Whenever you need to leave, and cannot leave your computer, just click the cancel button. (No seriously, this does work..) - When you need to start the upload again, just reupload it, if you do this within I believe 12 hours, it should just go back to your upload percentage beforehand. This is because the video does still stay "uploaded" on your channel, but obviously backups are not stored forever.

This is a really helpful tip and I didn't previously know this. I can see this coming in handy especially when I'm uploading and then people from my family need to have fast internet. Thanks dude

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
This is a really helpful tip and I didn't previously know this. I can see this coming in handy especially when I'm uploading and then people from my family need to have fast internet. Thanks dude

No problem, as stated at the bottom, this should work the last time I checked, however YouTube could easily stop this or add a new way to do it.