Wondering About Youtube (Quitting?)

Brickpro

Lost in the Nether, will be back soon...
Freedom! Member
Hey Guys,

I have been on youtube for close to 2 years now, and I have about 400 subscribers. But I have been thinking, I have been talking to other youtubers, and many of us are agreeing that the Motion Design Community has been going down the tubes. There are still some amazing people but it just isn't that great of a state.

The main reason I am thinking about quitting is because my talents are kind of being wasted. For those of you who don't know, I am working on becoming a professional motion designer, and youtube is kind of holding me back. I agree that it is fun to do. But it just isn't working out.

I earn about $15 per youtube intro, compared to recent projects I have done for actual clients. I earn base $10 an hour from my current boss (my dad). With nearly $200 every month. Not only that but a main project I am working on is going in total to turn out nearly $7,000 or more. I just feel that youtube is beginning to be a waste of time.

Please tell me if you guys agree with me or not. Thank you guys for all the fun you have given me :D

Flex Bormarr

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2015
Iowa
YouTube
If you don't want to do it then don't do it. If it holds you back from what you really want to do then go after it.

TheKevit07

Freedom! Member
Jun 25, 2015
YouTube
DO WHAT YOU LOVE! If youtube pays less, but you can't WAIT to get a video up, I'd say stick with Youtube. BUT, if you feel it's more of a burden than it is joyful, I'd consider hanging it up and make a farewell video, or just let your viewers know production will slow tremendously..so if they leave, you won't be hurt or offended.

Making it in Youtube is HARD, and if you don't have the passion and drive, I'd say go where your heart leads you. If you're leaving because the pay isn't great...that's not a GREAT reason to leave, but I can understand.

Reactions: foxriders917

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
This is a decision you have to make. If you do not enjoy doing youtube anymore then i would quit. Some people do youtube for the money run and others because they love to it. I for example love to share my gameplay moments and see youtube as a hobby wich i like to do and earning money is nice but not main reason. You have to decide for yourself if you still enjoy making content. If you do then keep going on with your channel, if you don't then quit ;)

Brickpro

Freedom! Member
Alright everybody! Thank you for the great response! I do love doing it, but it is more of a burden.
DO WHAT YOU LOVE! If youtube pays less, but you can't WAIT to get a video up, I'd say stick with Youtube. BUT, if you feel it's more of a burden than it is joyful, I'd consider hanging it up and make a farewell video, or just let your viewers know production will slow tremendously..so if they leave, you won't be hurt or offended.

Making it in Youtube is HARD, and if you don't have the passion and drive, I'd say go where your heart leads you. If you're leaving because the pay isn't great...that's not a GREAT reason to leave, but I can understand.

I do like the idea of a slow production. The other thing I might do is just increase the prices of intros. (I already have kind of). But thank you guys!

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I'd say try to keep on at it (long as you still enjoy doing it). Even if you cut down on how much you do on youtube it can still be a side project if you have some free time. I think the main thing you need to do is not think about youtube as a way to earn money but use it to experiment, meet new people and if you make money that can just be a bonus.

Brickpro

Freedom! Member
I'd say try to keep on at it (long as you still enjoy doing it). Even if you cut down on how much you do on youtube it can still be a side project if you have some free time. I think the main thing you need to do is not think about youtube as a way to earn money but use it to experiment, meet new people and if you make money that can just be a bonus.

Hm, yeah. I just really wish most of the motion designers would get along. :(

Anthomnia

Jul 14, 2015
YouTube
I remember you creating the intro i have currently, I think i paid you 30ish dollars, By the way i'm looking for a new intro if you need some work ;)

Reactions: Brickpro