LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
Hey all,

So I've had this laptop for 3 years and it's getting really sluggish. I want to wipe it but the problem is that I bought it with Windows 8.1 installed and later installed Windows 10 for free. I'm assuming that if I wipe it I'll lose Windows 10. Will I be able to get Windows 10 for free again?
Also I have iTunes with a ton of music on it that I downloaded. If I wipe the computer it'll all be lost, is there a way to download it all from my iPhone to my iTunes library?

Thank you,
LtGeneralStore

D

Deleted member 17740

Yes, you'll most likely lose your windows 10 installation, as a complete wipe would also reset the OS..this is unless your only deleting the applications and files on the drive.

PrimeRobotYTG

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 25, 2015
YouTube
By wiping your laptop, do you mean a complete wipe of your entire drive or are you just performing a factory reset?

If your wiping your hard drive completely, you will have no data on it (assuming you wipe it correctly) so you will lose your Windows 8.1/10. Since you bought the laptop with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, I'm 99.99% sure it is a OEM copy-- a 1 time install. You will need to buy another copy of Windows to retrieve your OS back.
Preforming factory reset MAY allow you to keep Win10, however factory reset restores your laptop to its state when it was made. This means that there is a chance your laptop may revert back to Win8.1 because Win10 was NOT the OS on the laptop when it was initially made.

Regardless whither this helped you or not, it is highly recommended that you backup ALL of your data incase anything goes wrong.

And for iTunes, I don't think it is possible to transfer music from iPhone to a new library (But correct me if I'm wrong). The first time you connect a iPhone to iTunes it will become linked to that one library, meaning that if you connect your iPhone to another iTunes library, you will lose all of your music currently saved on your device. If you do plan on wiping your drive or perform a factory reset, I'd backup all of your music on a USB/CD.

Good luckkk :]