Tips & Tricks Why You Should Render All Your Videos in 1440p or Higher

Oversoul

Rising User
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
oversoul53
Even if that's not the resolution they were recorded in and here's why...

YouTube compresses the crap out of your videos... UNLESS, they are 2560x1440 or higher.

Say you have a 5GB 1080p video with 15mbps bitrate. After youtube processes it and it goes live if you download it directly from youtube it will be like 2GBs with 8mpbs bitrate or lower. This is an issue in games with a lot of dark areas (like horror games) as the detail in the blacks gets crushed.

So, if you upload a video in 1440p or higher, it gets special VP9 encoding that doesn't compress the video. The video also gets higher bandwidth allocation. What does this mean? It means the video will look better.

I can confirm. I have tested this theory. The first thing I tested it on was Little Nightmares DLC and that was a perfect candidate cuz it has a lot of dark areas. Even though it's artificial upscaling, the encoding makes a world of difference. All my 1440p videos look better, run smoother and 60fps actually looks like 60fps. Even though these videos were recorded in 1080 and 720. Bitrate is one of the most important aspects of video quality.

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
This is an interesting tip. I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Sorry. I don't believe it changes anything, other than just rendering higher and having to stretch the video out in video editing to make it render correctly. It just takes more time to upload to YouTube, which isn't really worth it.
I don't think it really effects anything. The quality doesn't change if you render in 1080HD for a 1080HD video when you upload it.

But if you film a 4k video with a 4k camera and edit it and render it in 4k. It has a boost in the YouTube algorithm. YouTube favors 4k videos over other quality videos.

Oversoul

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
oversoul53
I hope you guys realize this isn't something that I just pulled out of thin air I did Research into it and there's a million videos out there explaining exactly what I explained. 1440p and higher gets vp9 encoding. 1080P and lower doesn't. It's literally that simple. Vp9 encoding ensures the video doesn't get compressed. I have asked people who watch me on a regular basis and they said they can notice a difference in my newer videos between the older ones like 60 frame videos actually look smooth now for example.

I also checked the stats for nerds feature and I can confirm that it says my newer videos are getting vp9 encoding but the older ones are not. I'm just trying to help and there are videos and articles out there confirming my theory not to mention just the actual physical evidence I've seen with my own eyes.

Also I've been trained in this kind of stuff. I'm legally certified to calibrate your TV settings professionally like going into the hidden menus and stuff. I know all about crushed blacks and saturated colors and all that stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1525478872][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a video perfectly showcasing exactly what I'm talking about

Last edited:

Hyderpony

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
May 19, 2017
London
YouTube
GallopCrush1983
I hope you guys realize this isn't something that I just pulled out of thin air I did Research into it and there's a million videos out there explaining exactly what I explained. 1440p and higher gets vp9 encoding. 1080P and lower doesn't. It's literally that simple. Vp9 encoding ensures the video doesn't get compressed. I have asked people who watch me on a regular basis and they said they can notice a difference in my newer videos between the older ones like 60 frame videos actually look smooth now for example.

I also checked the stats for nerds feature and I can confirm that it says my newer videos are getting vp9 encoding but the older ones are not. I'm just trying to help and there are videos and articles out there confirming my theory not to mention just the actual physical evidence I've seen with my own eyes.

Also I've been trained in this kind of stuff. I'm legally certified to calibrate your TV settings professionally like going into the hidden menus and stuff. I know all about crushed blacks and saturated colors and all that stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1525478872][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a video perfectly showcasing exactly what I'm talking about

Will not work on some video editors tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[DOUBLEPOST=1525602939][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried vp9 encoding and I have not say no. I don't want to sit here and wait long time just for a 5 min video thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oversoul

Oversoul

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
oversoul53
Will not work on some video editors tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[DOUBLEPOST=1525602939][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried vp9 encoding and I have not say no. I don't want to sit here and wait long time just for a 5 min video thanks.

Oh yeah that's totally understandable I can understand why someone wouldn't want to do it I just didn't want anyone to have the wrong information and assume that it doesn't make a difference when it does. I only recommended it because I'm trying to be helpful. Anybody who plays horror games should definitely do this because they have a lot of pitch black areas

Oversoul

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
oversoul53
Some don;t have the computer power

This is also true it takes me like 8 hours to render one video now but ultimately I consider it worth it. It's all subjective though. The point is I was just trying to help and that's what matters ultimately

Onkel Mori

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 18, 2016
Germany
If you use Adobe Premiere, there's a plugin called Voukoder. It's using your graphics card for x264 encoding (unfortunately only Nvidia cards are supported at this moment) which is way faster.
With my GTX 1060 I'm upscaling a 1080p video up to 3200 x 1800 (Youtube still says it's 1440p but you will get even more bitrate than a real 1440p video. If you right click in the video player and select "statistics for nerds", you see the higher bitrate and the real resolution 3200 x 1800 once YouTube converted it to VP9) and even with the upscaling which normally consumes a lot of time it's encoding faster than encoding a 1080p video the old way with the cpu.
For example yesterday I encoded a 30 minute video in about 15 minutes or so. No kidding!
Even a 1050 without TI can encode way faster than a cpu.

But it sucks that it's only available for Premiere and not for Vegas (or other programs). Vouk, the creator of Voukoder offered the plugin for Magix to add this to Vegas, but they declined it.

Reactions: Oversoul

Hyderpony

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
May 19, 2017
London
YouTube
GallopCrush1983
If you use Adobe Premiere, there's a plugin called Voukoder. It's using your graphics card for x264 encoding (unfortunately only Nvidia cards are supported at this moment) which is way faster.
With my GTX 1060 I'm upscaling a 1080p video up to 3200 x 1800 (Youtube still says it's 1440p but you will get even more bitrate than a real 1440p video. If you right click in the video player and select "statistics for nerds", you see the higher bitrate and the real resolution 3200 x 1800 once YouTube converted it to VP9) and even with the upscaling which normally consumes a lot of time it's encoding faster than encoding a 1080p video the old way with the cpu.
For example yesterday I encoded a 30 minute video in about 15 minutes or so. No kidding!

But it sucks that it's only available for Premiere and not for Vegas (or other programs). Vouk, the creator of Voukoder offered the plugin for Magix to add this to Vegas, but they declined it.

I tried and it a small file size too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oversoul

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
oversoul53

I use movie studio Platinum myself I can't afford anything better at the moment but it gives me the option when I go to render the video to set all of that stuff manually, resolution, bitrate, frame rate and so on.