YouTube Why tags/title/keywords etc is a big load of Bullsh@#

smalltownjoe

Freedom! Member
Oct 15, 2016
Salamanca, Spain
YouTube
musocraig
So I've been watching videos about ranking higher, and they all say the same old crap. "Put keywords in title THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT", "put same keyword in decription THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT", "make tags out of keywords THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT"

WHAT A LOD OF RUBBISH!!!!

Ok, first of all, I do all of the above, and nothing. Searched for my tags, nothing. I must be ten millionth down on the list.

Second, I just saw a video of a song, 100k views in 3 days, no description AT ALL, never mind "keywords", and NO TAGS except the song title...THAT'S IT!!

Ok rant over, but this really REALLY f@#€ing gets me annoyed. I mean, I think my content is alright, take a look :

I know that's not strictly allwowed but I'm not promoting my channel I just don't get it. I have a decnt thumbnail, the song is quite good people have told me AND ALL THE KEYWORDS AND TAGS ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACES according to the "experrts"

You guys agree or disagree with my point? I'd love to hear opinions

Cheers
Joe

Smart Facts UK

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 21, 2017
United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I disagree I took a look at your tags and the ones you have selected are very competitive. You would need a lot of watch time time to rank with them.

I get 65% of my views from search and you need the meta data to match the content as well as having people search from your content.

upload_2017-9-10_12-29-43.png

As you can see from the above two of tags rank (really good to be ranked seventh on acoustic).

You have to consider whether people will search for your tags, for example would somone search for samson c01 and want to listen to your song?

I recommend tube buddy this will help you find good tags.

Once you have more watch time you will likely rank higher and it all takes time, not all views come from search and its more important to build an audience.

Some will disagree with me but the above is my understanding.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Typically search word / tags and descriptions can all be used to help increase your SEO, however it does depend on a lot more things. For example popularity, watch times, competition over those tags, and indeed where those tags are ranked can all have an impact on where your channel falls in search results.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Thanks for the feedback, do you agree or disagree with my rant? or a bit of both? Ha!
I would have to say both, I agree that tags / descriptions on their own aren't going to massively impact on views for your video without other things sustaining it
guys.. how can i post my video?? I am new in this forum XD
You need to have a certain amount of posts in order to post links on the forums. As for our Promote section / Media this is reserved for full members of the forums / partnered members only

Reactions: Smart Facts UK

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
The best way I've noticed to help is mix your name with the said tag you're trying to use, here is an example im going to use your name

"SmalltownJoe acoustic" or anything alike