When does one become an Otaku?

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
The actually meaning of the word is describing a person with obsessive traits. Now that we have the logistics aside; what (in your opinion) defines one as an otaku, and when does one cross the border from sanity to... otaku!

Generic Baka

Otaku Lord and Saviour
Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
YouTube
Well I feel like otaku varies with the massive step above otaku being weeaboo which could be considered an extreme otaku. I feel like one becomes an otaku when they start to watch anime or read manga regularly. I feel like this also applies to games, I'd assume mostly JRPGs or VNs.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I usually just consider an Otaku as someone who regularly watches anime and would likely go to conventions for anime such as AX. If you watch anime once in a while, I wouldn't really consider that to be an Otaku. Heck, even if you watch it more than that, I feel to be considered an otaku, it's really got to be part of you, such as a hobby of sorts.

With that said, some people don't like to even use the word since in Japan, the words meaning actually is fairly negative. Being called an Otaku isn't a good thing. Personally, I don't follow Japans meaning of the word since I don't live in Japan.

Well I feel like otaku varies with the massive step above otaku being weeaboo which could be considered an extreme otaku.

A weeaboo is more along the lines of a wannabe Japanese. They are not just obsessed with anime, but Japan as a whole. Almost like they are trying to pretend to be Japanese them self. They will typically use Japanese words fairly often in their sentence.

As of fairly recently, the word has been misused by many. Essentially calling anyone who seems to have an interest in anime a weeaboo.

Generic Baka

Otaku Lord and Saviour
Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
YouTube
A weeaboo is more along the lines of a wannabe Japanese. They are not just obsessed with anime, but Japan as a whole. Almost like they are trying to pretend to be Japanese them self. They will typically use Japanese words fairly often in their sentence.

As of fairly recently, the word has been misused by many. Essentially calling anyone who seems to have an interest in anime a weeaboo.

Weeaboos also can't pronounce Japanese words properly for the life of them and can only say kawaii (かわいい) and sugoi (すごい).

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
:eek: I found an interesting thread !

I personally think you can only consider someone an otaku IF:
  • He is so obsessed with something to the point it is one of the basic needs in his life, like sleeping and eating.
  • He considers himself an otaku.
That would be one of thoes two, I personally dont think im obsessed enough about anything to be considered an otaku (not by the meaning of the word atleast) But I do consider myself an Otaku and Nerd, both words have negative meanings and openly agreeing that thoes words describe me just proves that other peoples oppinions do not affect me :) its kind of a reminder for myself that there will allways be people that will call you names and such, but at the end of the day its just a words.

SabawGamer

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
Does watching anime every single day, reading manga every other day, collecting figurines and posters count?
Because if it is then i might be an otaku or weeaboo Hahaha

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Truth of the matter is ... I love being an Otaku in the fact that I am quiet literally obsessed with anime. I don't tpyically go a day without watching some anime. All my wallpapers are anime. My drawing style is anime. My reading preference is manga. I one day want a library full of anime, manga, and merchandise.

People would typically hang up photos of family. Screw that .. anime! Posters everywhere! Wall scrolls, figurines ... the works. I want my bedding to be anime. My pillows.

If only I had that kind of money lol. With that said... with how much anime I watch .. you would expect me to run a anime review youtube channel ... I still question why I don't lol XD.

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
Truth of the matter is ... I love being an Otaku in the fact that I am quiet literally obsessed with anime. I don't tpyically go a day without watching some anime. All my wallpapers are anime. My drawing style is anime. My reading preference is manga. I one day want a library full of anime, manga, and merchandise.

People would typically hang up photos of family. Screw that .. anime! Posters everywhere! Wall scrolls, figurines ... the works. I want my bedding to be anime. My pillows.

If only I had that kind of money lol. With that said... with how much anime I watch .. you would expect me to run a anime review youtube channel ... I still question why I don't lol XD.
lol I'd do the same if I had money for all of the anime stuffs :D Though I do have some posters and wallscrolls that I love :3

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
Does watching anime every single day, reading manga every other day, collecting figurines and posters count?
Because if it is then i might be an otaku or weeaboo Hahaha
same here the main ones i watch are clannad and k-on and will soon be getting the clannad kickstarter set and hopeful start getting some of the figures