What's a Subscriber?

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
I know what you're thinking. Duh, Goped, a Subscriber is someone who enjoys watching the content you make. As right as you would be, there's so much more behind a Subscriber than that.

Now let's think for a second. Yes, it's nice to see people like the content you worked so hard on and click on that sub button. You also have to think, they took time or of their day to watch your video in the fittest place. It may not seem like a lot at the time, but with every sub you gain, someone is talking time out of their day to basically let you know they like your videos enough to watch you, and possibly even come back and watch you again!

Now here's the thing that bothers me. I'm a small channel, I know that, but I see all these other channels acknowledging their subs as just a number! I've even seen modest sized channels with well over 1000 comment things like "oh, I've not grown much in the last X amount of time." Do you want to know what that says to me? That implies, in my opinion, that you don't appreciate the subs you have already, and that you're more focused on making that number grow rather than trying to entertain the people who already enjoy your content. Yes, we all like growth, but take a minute to realize, IT'S NOT JUST A NUMBERS GAME.

I like to treat my subscribers as my friends. They put their effort forth into me, so I put effort into reciprocating my interest in them. We're entertainers once we start producing content, so let's try to stop worrying about those numbers and start focusing on the things that matter. Just let the numbers grow naturally and stop placing so much importance on them. Numbers already control every other aspect of out life, so let's make a movement to stop focusing so much on the quantity of everything and stay focusing more on the quality.

Sorry for the long read, you guys are awesome!

iiMutz

Rising User
Feb 14, 2016
London
YouTube
A Subscriber is a person, that click Subscribe to get an update on your channel every-time you do a new video, the more subscribers you have, the more better content you make (to what other people think)

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
This is why...

Reactions: Goped Fred

iTsEazi00

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
DC METRO AREA
YouTube
I know what you're thinking. Duh, Goped, a Subscriber is someone who enjoys watching the content you make. As right as you would be, there's so much more behind a Subscriber than that.

Now let's think for a second. Yes, it's nice to see people like the content you worked so hard on and click on that sub button. You also have to think, they took time or of their day to watch your video in the fittest place. It may not seem like a lot at the time, but with every sub you gain, someone is talking time out of their day to basically let you know they like your videos enough to watch you, and possibly even come back and watch you again!

Now here's the thing that bothers me. I'm a small channel, I know that, but I see all these other channels acknowledging their subs as just a number! I've even seen modest sized channels with well over 1000 comment things like "oh, I've not grown much in the last X amount of time." Do you want to know what that says to me? That implies, in my opinion, that you don't appreciate the subs you have already, and that you're more focused on making that number grow rather than trying to entertain the people who already enjoy your content. Yes, we all like growth, but take a minute to realize, IT'S NOT JUST A NUMBERS GAME.

I like to treat my subscribers as my friends. They put their effort forth into me, so I put effort into reciprocating my interest in them. We're entertainers once we start producing content, so let's try to stop worrying about those numbers and start focusing on the things that matter. Just let the numbers grow naturally and stop placing so much importance on them. Numbers already control every other aspect of out life, so let's make a movement to stop focusing so much on the quantity of everything and stay focusing more on the quality.

Sorry for the long read, you guys are awesome!
Well Said!
I don't see SUBs as numbers, I see them as people with different views and ideas that I would like to hear. I use the videos to kind of guide those ideas to a point where we can communicate about them in the comments section. The number itself makes me no difference, but the more people the more ideas.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
Well Said!
I don't see SUBs as numbers, I see them as people with different views and ideas that I would like to hear. I use the videos to kind of guide those ideas to a point where we can communicate about them in the comments section. The number itself makes me no difference, but the more people the more ideas.
Exactly! That's how it should be, you need to have a healthy relationship with your subscribers to maintain a good subscriber base

BLUENOSE4

Rising User
Feb 25, 2016
Naa A Subscriber is Someone Who Is Obviously Subscribed But Watches Most Or All Of Your Video And Comments Regularly. (Also Likes) Well Thats What I Think

Jacoby Crossler

Nov 7, 2015
I agree a lot with what you said like how they take time out of their day because they care about the content creator and that's what keeps a lot of these small channels staying in the game is those few people who are die-hard fans. But in the long run once you have 1M or so those die-hard fans just become one in the crowd and Pewdiepie and such can't call 42M people his "friend" especially because at that size you can't interact with your subscribers very much.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
I agree a lot with what you said like how they take time out of their day because they care about the content creator and that's what keeps a lot of these small channels staying in the game is those few people who are die-hard fans. But in the long run once you have 1M or so those die-hard fans just become one in the crowd and Pewdiepie and such can't call 42M people his "friend" especially because at that size you can't interact with your subscribers very much.
That's very true, but they do acknowledge them during the video. About all you can do when you get that big is make announcements and thank yous in the videos themselves

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
I see them as friends mostly, sometimes they have very kind comments(or likes) and other days they have some "not-so" kind comments (or dislikes). But all in all, without their help or tips, or even suggestions, I'd prolly be stuck where I was in 2011(aka when I made my first video).

So yeah, either way even if the subs do or do not like me, I will always treasure em! :D

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
I see them as friends mostly, sometimes they have very kind comments(or likes) and other days they have some "not-so" kind comments (or dislikes). But all in all, without their help or tips, or even suggestions, I'd prolly be stuck where I was in 2011(aka when I made my first video).

So yeah, either way even if the subs do or do not like me, I will always treasure em! :D
They're why we can do what we do! If we didn't have them, how would we know where we needed to improve?

Reactions: Nordic Chronicles

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I view subscribers as mere numbers. My true fanbase total is derived solely from likes, comments, and shares. Those are people who have actively engaged in the community, those are the ones worth something to me.

COD andGOD

New User
Apr 7, 2014
YouTube
A sub is someone that hit the sub button. A fan is the person that is important to what we do. Inactive subs don't help with anything.