YouTube What kind of Titles, Tags and Descriptions should I be using?

erickismeme

Rising User
Feb 7, 2017
YouTube
erickismeme
What kind of tags are you guys using for your videos? Also what have you seen makes your videos get more exposure? is it the Title? Tag? or something else? Also is it important to use tags in the descriptions of a video to bring in more views?

Ill answer my questions here so you guys can maybe see what im doing wrong

For my tags I use the game title, console, video title and like casual words like "epic" or words like that. I feel like those dont work but am I wrong? Im not sure :/

My titles are usually the game and then with whatever happened in the video and make it "clickbaity" but in the video it does happen even though its a little exaggerated..

and in my descriptions I try to write a little summary of what happens in the video and social media links. Alright well hopefully you guys can answer my question(s)... sorry its a bit of a long post but im usually lost on what to tag my videos and how SEO really works.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
The most important thing for search is your video title, it over weighs both the tags and description by quite a lot. That being said don't try to make it too long.

Using tags like "epic" will probably do nothing at all, many other people will also use that tag however lowering how effective it is, also it's hardly used when someone is using the search bar.

Tags are used to enforce things that people search for. You should try to use compound tags with things that people will use to search for your content "how to build a straw hut" will rank higher than "build" "straw" "hut"

Sounds like your video description is good though, writing a short summary on the video can be even more helpful than tags.

Here is an example of the tags in one of my higher ranking search videos

erickismeme

Rising User
Feb 7, 2017
YouTube
erickismeme
The most important thing for search is your video title, it over weighs both the tags and description by quite a lot. That being said don't try to make it too long.

Using tags like "epic" will probably do nothing at all, many other people will also use that tag however lowering how effective it is, also it's hardly used when someone is using the search bar.

Tags are used to enforce things that people search for. You should try to use compound tags with things that people will use to search for your content "how to build a straw hut" will rank higher than "build" "straw" "hut"

Sounds like your video description is good though, writing a short summary on the video can be even more helpful than tags.

ah yea i thought so about the "epic" tags as it is a very general word and it doesnt really help much. thanks for responding :)

OnlyUltimate

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2016
London
www.youtube.com
YouTube
OnlyUltimateYT
From my experience with using Tubebuddy, short tags are used to get in the related or suggested videos and long tags are used to get in search rankings. Search rankings are more important than being in suggested videos, so try longer tags first. If you can't find a tag that the video is ranking in, then use short tags to get into the suggested videos sections.

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore

How did you get those numbers next to your tags and what are they for?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Also what have you seen makes your videos get more exposure? is it the Title? Tag? or something else? Also is it important to use tags in the descriptions of a video to bring in more views?
Firstly, putting tags in your description is disallowed on YouTube and channels have been terminated for it in the past. Usually what makes great video SEO is a good combination of them. Here's what I recommend:
Title - A little bit of clickbait is what makes a title great. Clickbait is a really hated term on YouTube by people who have no idea of proper SEO and people that want to appeal to them by calling others out for it. Any good title gets people to click on it. If a title describes your video and opens interest to it it's good.

Tags - There's a lot of common misconceptions about tags on YouTube and some parts about them are anyone's guess honestly. Generally use tags people search for and larger YouTubers use. Your goal is to get into something that's searched a lot and hasn't got much content made about it yet.

Description - here's a good description:

• Explain what the video is about in the first 3 lines
  • Explain more in detail below it
  • Links and other stuff
  • A description of your channel
I hope this has helped.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
How did you get those numbers next to your tags and what are they for?
The numbers next to the tags, are shown via TubeBuddy (@Koala_Steamed correct me if I'm wrong) and they show where that tag corresponds to other being used - I.e how high that tag is ranked. So from Koala's example most of his are quite high and should be helping pushing traffic (for those people searching those tags) to his video

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
The numbers next to the tags, are shown via TubeBuddy (@Koala_Steamed correct me if I'm wrong) and they show where that tag corresponds to other being used - I.e how high that tag is ranked. So from Koala's example most of his are quite high and should be helping pushing traffic (for those people searching those tags) to his video

I have Tubebuddy (which I should use more) but I don't have those numbers. Is there a setting I haven't enabled?

erickismeme

Rising User
Feb 7, 2017
YouTube
erickismeme
Firstly, putting tags in your description is disallowed on YouTube and channels have been terminated for it in the past. Usually what makes great video SEO is a good combination of them. Here's what I recommend:
Title - A little bit of clickbait is what makes a title great. Clickbait is a really hated term on YouTube by people who have no idea of proper SEO and people that want to appeal to them by calling others out for it. Any good title gets people to click on it. If a title describes your video and opens interest to it it's good.

Tags - There's a lot of common misconceptions about tags on YouTube and some parts about them are anyone's guess honestly. Generally use tags people search for and larger YouTubers use. Your goal is to get into something that's searched a lot and hasn't got much content made about it yet.

Description - here's a good description:

• Explain what the video is about in the first 3 lines
  • Explain more in detail below it
  • Links and other stuff
  • A description of your channel
I hope this has helped.
thanks for the info. and sorry should've explained tags in the description.. tags as in SEO words describing your video but used in a sentence describing the video. idk if that makes sense lol

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I have Tubebuddy (which I should use more) but I don't have those numbers. Is there a setting I haven't enabled?

Are any of your videos listed at the top pages of search? It can be quite hard to get tags up there.

So a 1 next to the tag means that if you write that tag in YouTube search it will be the first video to come up (lower numbers = better).