What is a better plan of action?

ShadowMajor

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 6, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
Hi there guys!

A question for you guys, what do you think is better?

1. Sticking to one genre or "thing" and just keep doing it, only picking up one set of audience?

2. Do a whole load of different things that are pretty different from each other, picking up a few different audiences, but splitting them up a bit?

What's your thinking on this? As there are so many different pros and cons to both.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I do many different things not only for my audience but also for myself I like playing different types of games because if I play only one it will burn me out verry quickly.

ShadowMajor

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 6, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
Yeah, I get that, but I mean more than one thing, I consider gaming as a whole one thing, where live action, scripted comedy, reviews and stuff like that are all different things.

Although you play a load of different games, you still do just gaming, not trying to say that's a bad thing but would you do other things too?

ShadowMajor

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 6, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
yeah, that's what I'm talking about, do you get a wider audience, that only watch a certain type of video (mostly) or have one audience type who watch all of your videos?

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
Yeah, I get that, but I mean more than one thing, I consider gaming as a whole one thing, where live action, scripted comedy, reviews and stuff like that are all different things.

Although you play a load of different games, you still do just gaming, not trying to say that's a bad thing but would you do other things too?
I have done a sort of radio show on my channel so I have tried things besides gaming to see if people would like it.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Hi there guys!

A question for you guys, what do you think is better?

1. Sticking to one genre or "thing" and just keep doing it, only picking up one set of audience?

2. Do a whole load of different things that are pretty different from each other, picking up a few different audiences, but splitting them up a bit?

What's your thinking on this? As there are so many different pros and cons to both.
I'm in favour of doing #1. That's how I've built an audience and should I want to expand later on, then I still can and will be able to bring a good number of my existing subscribers with me. However, if you're not really into one specific game or type of gaming, then being so niche may not be for you.