what Equipment do I need to record games

Benji Gaming

New User
Freedom! Member
May 13, 2016
what Equipment do I need to record games plz tell me and read my other posts to see if you can help me with any think else thx for reading this.

TheJackPlayer

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 22, 2016
YouTube
Well, the most important to record games is an recording software. Im using OBS(open broadcast software) since its free, and easy to use.

UncleGravy

Freedom! Member
Mar 3, 2016
Wales
YouTube
Uncle_Gravy
PC games: OBS or if you have a fairly modern Nvidia GPU, use Shadowplay which is bundled with the GeForce Experience software.

Console: Both PS4 and XBone offer remote play making recording without using a capture card a thing (If you don't fancy forking out for one) Pretty sure both consoles have their own in house recording features, Or if you're looking for "pristine" 1080 30/60fps then a capture card is the way forward, such as the Elgato Game Capture HD60.

Reactions: DominiQue Johnson

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
By the sounds of it, you do PC games.

Well, to be a gamer on YouTube. You need a PC that can handle games at high settings and fast capture rates. 60fps is slowly turning into the norm, and if you can flawlessly record that, good on you. But don't think of rendering 30fps video at 60, that's just evil.
Nvidia's Shadowplay software uses less space and captures high framerates with low loss when compared to something like FRAPS. To go with that, you'll need some extra storage, 1TB of recording-dedicated storage is a must if you're in this for the long haul.

YouTube can be an expensive investment if you want to do is quickly, semi-effortlessly, and without loss of quality.

C

Cyramex

what Equipment do I need to record games plz tell me and read my other posts to see if you can help me with any think else thx for reading this.

After messing around with recording for a TON of time, I think I know enough to give you some tips on it.

-you need a good graphics card (for obvious reasons)
-a good CPU helps just i'm not fully sure if it does a lot
-a good hard drive is VERY important. If you're recording gameplay and the game is running fine but the recording has lag, its because your hard drive is not fast enough.

I used to use OBS to record but since my computer had 2 different graphics cards it gets messed up for me and it is pretty confusing at first.
What i use now is DXTORY and I used this guide to help me get started:

Krayzar HD

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 27, 2016
Australia
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Krayzarhd
I'll just add my input since it seams as though there isnt too much to do with Console game recording.
I use and elgato game capture to record video and audio and a Rode NT-USB to record voice,
When it comes to editing (trust me you'll want to edit your videos) i use the adobe suite, if you don't want to fork out for the entire adobe suite id recommend photoshop, premiere pro, audition and possibly after effect (if you want to get into heavy vfx, eg intro's or extensive video editing).
I run most of this through my Laptop, its nothing major but it seems to be able to handle everything to an acceptable standard, just an HP Pavilion with 12 gb ram, 1 Tb hardrive, AMD quad core A8 processor and Radeon dual Graphics.
Of course keeping this in mind, there are a lot of cheaper (potentially nastier options) if you are just starting out and don't want to pay up big.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
For PC and Mac gameplay,
  • Screen recording software
For Mac you can use quick time player or OBS. For Windows, if you have a Nivida graphics card you can download shadow play or use OBS.
  • Editing software
The best free software is Hitfilm 4 Express, you could also use Lightworks. I personally use Final Cut Pro X since I have a Mac.
  • Video encoding software
Handbrake or similar (they allow you to get a smaller file size and your videos will take less time to upload)