What do you use to record your games?

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
I'm thinking of starting a gaming channel, but I have no idea what I would use to record. It would most likely only be PC games, so I don't need a capture card or anything. And what is your setup as far as camera and mic goes?

slizerbladez

Gaming and Commentary
Freedom! Member
I use two kinds of software: Nvidia ShadowPlay and Dxtory. ShadowPlay is great, lag free and has a nice selection of options to choose from. However, it requires an Nvidia GPU from the GTX 600 series or higher. Dxtory runs for about US$30, has many options from audio to video codec to change and is very good quality. However, it has larger file sizes.
Many people also recommend Fraps, but I have no personal experience with it.
As far as microphones, my friends use Blue Snowballs, whereas I use an AT2020. The Snowball is fantastic for the price, especially if you are a small channel or have a limited budget. Many will also recommend the Blue Yeti, but if all you use it for is commentary, you'll end up wasting money on all the extra features.

Jeremiah Berver

Rising User
Jan 12, 2016
Georgia
YouTube
Well if you want everything cheap but pretty high quality, you can buy a rockband/guitar hero microphone, tons of YouTubers that are big now used to use them. As far as webcam or whatever goes, you can just use your phone camera. It saves speed/ram for you computer and you can still have great quality with what cameras they put in today's phones. I use an elgato to record my Console and I can record pc/mac, but you can use stuff like ShadowPlay, Screencast-o-matic, Ezvid. Anything high quality. They're easy to find. I hope this helped!

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
Thank you both for you replies! I look into all of your suggestions. And I thought of using the camera and mic on my phone, the only problem is my phone has limited storage, I don't want to be playing a game and suddenly run out of space. That would suck.

Jeremiah Berver

Rising User
Jan 12, 2016
Georgia
YouTube
Thank you both for you replies! I look into all of your suggestions. And I thought of using the camera and mic on my phone, the only problem is my phone has limited storage, I don't want to be playing a game and suddenly run out of space. That would suck.
That's true bro. If I had that problem, I would buy a bigger SD card or buy another same size sd card and when I'm going to record I put in the "YouTube" SD Card and when I'm not, I'd have the main SD card in. I use my phone which has 32gb built on with a 32gb sd. That's why I suggested it.

X0th3rm1k_Gaming

Rising User
May 9, 2016
I use FRAPS, which is actually really easy to use and is one of the best to start out with. Be vary that there are only a handful of features but they are enough to get you started on your YouTube career! All my videos are recorded using FRAPS only. Hope this helps.

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
That's true bro. If I had that problem, I would buy a bigger SD card or buy another same size sd card and when I'm going to record I put in the "YouTube" SD Card and when I'm not, I'd have the main SD card in. I use my phone which has 32gb built on with a 32gb sd. That's why I suggested it.
I have the Galaxy S6, which unfortunately is the one that they decided to remove expandable storage. So an SD card isn't an option.

I use FRAPS, which is actually really easy to use and is one of the best to start out with. Be vary that there are only a handful of features but they are enough to get you started on your YouTube career! All my videos are recorded using FRAPS only. Hope this helps.
I have heard a lot of good things about Fraps.

I use Bandicam, hardly uses any resources an the quality is awesome, and it's cheap has chips :)
Doesn't bandicam put their own logo over your videos though? Or is that just the free version?

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I use fraps but it creates huge uncompressed files, so unless you have a large dedicated hard drive I dont suggest it.

But if you do have a large dedicated drive to record to, fraps gives the highest quality of recording very simply.

But with fraps it is hard to keep alot of footage. You will have to delete old footage to make space for new footage...

Handbrake is good for compressing videos for longer term storage. If you wanted to keep a perticular video or something.

If you are looking for a free option, that isnt shadowplay or whatever amd calls theyre recorder.
I suggest Afterburner.
When I tested it I really liked the quality of the video it made. But it has alot of options and isnt as easy to get setup. Best to watch a youtube video or two about how to set the options... It actually has alot more features than fraps when it comes to system montoring and stuff...

EdwinEarth

Rising User
May 4, 2016
I'm thinking of starting a gaming channel, but I have no idea what I would use to record. It would most likely only be PC games, so I don't need a capture card or anything. And what is your setup as far as camera and mic goes?
For recording on the Desktop I use 'Action!'. It works well! =]

I use a Studio Microphone called the Blue Yeti Mic. For editing I use Sony Vegas. Note: be certain you have plenty of Harddrive space if you intend to record in bulk. =]

adam priest

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 28, 2015
YouTube
adampriest1
I have the Galaxy S6, which unfortunately is the one that they decided to remove expandable storage. So an SD card isn't an option.

I have heard a lot of good things about Fraps.

Doesn't bandicam put their own logo over your videos though? Or is that just the free version?

No mate the full version doesn't, the free version puts the watermark over your recording, I think I paid something silly like £22 for a life time serial, FRAPS and DXTORY are fantastic, but only if you have a great rig has they are known to be resource hogs.

Armalitus

New User
May 13, 2016
For software I use mostly open source (and free) tools such as OBS for recording/streaming, and Shotcut for editing. I also use Audacity for voice-overs and for manipulating audio tracks. Finally, I have a nice (and cheap) Blue Snowball microphone with a pop filter that works incredibly well.

Einstein Gamin

Freedom! Member
Apr 16, 2016
Earth
YouTube
_EinsteinGaming
Hey man lemme tell you about my posh setup made out of posh things but for free . I use obs to record my videos with this you have the option to stream directly to YouTube or save to your computer , high quality at very low diskspace , I have my phone camera for recording self footage , samsung galaxy note 2 8 mp camera 32 gb sd card. I use sony vegas platinum for free dowbloaded fron torrent lool . Who pays money to them lol these days . No harm no foul , good luck on those videos and I get free wifi from my neighbour and I typing this sentence all of this and even this and that *

zTaven

New User
Freedom! Member
May 15, 2016
United States
taven.co
YouTube
I personally like to use ShadowPlay. I don't like AMD's version of it.. To me its laggy and has a lot of issues while recording.. But thats when I had the 270x. But ever since I picked up the 970 I haven't had a issue with recording with ShadowPlay but that's just me. If you don't have ShadowPlay I recommend OBS.