What do you think about Day 1 patch for games?

KingJeffo

Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2014
YouTube
Hey guys what's going on. So as we all know the gaming industry is basically going into a downward trend with their latest release of triple A games. We have great games coming out with major bugs and glitches, and day 1 patch had to be released just to fix it. It's really a bad business practice in my opinion. And for those who bought the game before or right after it's released, they would definitely feel pissed and cheated. So what do you guys think about Day 1 patch for games?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
It is evident by the fact that there is a day one patch that the creators were aware of the issue but decided to forego actually fixing it in favor of meeting a release day.

"We're holding it back a week to fix bugs" sounds alot better than "There's problems with the game, here's a patch for some of them".

MegaShinyObject

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 3, 2015
Arizona
YouTube
MegaShinyObject
I don't mind patches in general, since it would be virtually impossible to find every single bug or glitch in the game before it comes out. But Day 1 patches are the most annoying thing. The game needs to be finished before it's put out there to the general public. It's not fair to the people who buy the game (especially those who spent money to pre-order it) for it to be unfinished and cobbled together so that it could be released on time.
I'm a big fan of developers pushing back release dates. Yes, it means I have to wait longer for the game to come out, but at least it will be finished and actually be something that was worth waiting for.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I don't see any issue with it. Especially if the day 1 patch was for just activating things like online. (I think the Smash Bros day 1 patch was that way)

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
Hey guys what's going on. So as we all know the gaming industry is basically going into a downward trend with their latest release of triple A games. We have great games coming out with major bugs and glitches, and day 1 patch had to be released just to fix it. It's really a bad business practice in my opinion. And for those who bought the game before or right after it's released, they would definitely feel pissed and cheated. So what do you guys think about Day 1 patch for games?
My biggest thing is usually games are small scale beta tested, so there are gong to be issues. They're are going to be issues with any large scale release. If they take the initiative to address the problem right away, at least they're showing they are attentive to the issue. We all have love-hate relationships with the developers.

TSpr0tege

Freedom! Member
Nov 6, 2014
YouTube
This is funny. I literally JUST did a video about this.
The short version is basically: day one patch is a slap in the face to all the people who reserved a title. You put up the money ahead of time (guaranteeing sales) so you can play the game the first possible moment it's released, but.... NOPE! 5 hour download!

To me it's like buying the new iPhone, but Apple neglected to put the charger cables in the box and you have to go back to the store to get one. Even if it's free, that's pretty ******.

Reactions: KingJeffo

Ryunaito

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 26, 2016
YouTube
Depends on the patch size and what it fixes...

Small patches that fix bugs or add content are fine in my opinion...

When a game patches highe patches on day one to fix major bugs, that just screams rushed/half baked product to me...

KingJeffo

Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2014
YouTube
It kinda feels rushed. Most games nowadays are rushed when the deadline is near. Instead of waiting a couple more says and fixing the problem and deliver a nice and smooth game they release it along with a patch witch in most cases don't fix the problems 100%...
So true dude I got no idea why are they not fixing the game before the release. Like come on game used to not have major bugs back in the PS2/Xbox days!

This is funny. I literally JUST did a video about this.
The short version is basically: day one patch is a slap in the face to all the people who reserved a title. You put up the money ahead of time (guaranteeing sales) so you can play the game the first possible moment it's released, but.... NOPE! 5 hour download!

To me it's like buying the new iPhone, but Apple neglected to put the charger cables in the box and you have to go back to the store to get one. Even if it's free, that's pretty ******.
Yup I gotta agree with you man it's a huge slap in the face!

Depends on the patch size and what it fixes...

Small patches that fix bugs or add content are fine in my opinion...

When a game patches highe patches on day one to fix major bugs, that just screams rushed/half baked product to me...
So true!

joaopneves

The Portuguese
Freedom! Member
Aug 24, 2015
Portugal
YouTube
It's not a "huge" problem when the question is actually fixed, but is not a good policy from devs to do so. It's like sell a car without a wheel, it's not finished and it's not working. It's not good, in my opinion.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
So true dude I got no idea why are they not fixing the game before the release. Like come on game used to not have major bugs back in the PS2/Xbox days!

Yup I gotta agree with you man it's a huge slap in the face!

So true!
This makes me think, lets go back to the Super Nintendo and N64 and such. How did they do it then with games as there was no way to patch it XD

KingJeffo

Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2014
YouTube
This makes me think, lets go back to the Super Nintendo and N64 and such. How did they do it then with games as there was no way to patch it XD
Haha yeah man I got no idea how did they made such good games back in the days. Ohh well hope it gets better

This is why i never pre-order games anymore.
Same man it just scares me to get a game and have it not working properly on day 1

LanokirX

Respected User
Feb 9, 2016
Värnamo, Sweden
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Haha yeah man I got no idea how did they made such good games back in the days. Ohh well hope it gets better
Games today are muuuuch bigger and have way more people working on them. The more advance it gets, the harder it is to notice certain bugs, and can be more of them.

And literally all old games DO have bugs, look at speed-runners, they use all sorts of bugs in the games to beat them as fast as possible. : )

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Games today are muuuuch bigger and have way more people working on them. The more advance it gets, the harder it is to notice certain bugs, and can be more of them.

And literally all old games DO have bugs, look at speed-runners, they use all sorts of bugs in the games to beat them as fast as possible. : )
True story but don't spoil the bug things in older games. I have this perfect childhood dream where they run smooth haha