What do you do when things goes wrong ? (Recording related)

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Now i've made like a lot of mistake, ranging from the recording software with audio to getting lag after done doing an (in my opinion) a excellent episode. Till you play back and you started to see stuff being ruin, like i mention from audio to video lagging. Now i've no idea what to do with the episode when stuff are ruined and now i'm far away from where i left off. What do you do in this situation ? Or should i say whats next ?
Now i just feel like i wasted hours of recording it.

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Ugh, I feel you.

I've gotten into the habit of making sure everything is running properly before I go off and do an actual recording. However, if in the case I do find myself messed up with the final product, then it really depends on what the issue is.

• Audio and visual don't sync up? Fixable.
  • No webcam (oops)? Upload anyway.
  • Bad audio? Re-do! If possible.
  • Video lagging? Don't post it, unless there's really no going back.
I learned to just roll with the punches. Things happen and it's unavoidable. Learn from your mistakes, figure out your problems, and keep a positive attitude! Once you start going negative, things are just going to get worse.

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I've had those things happen to me. I tend to lose track of time when I record (sometimes I record for 2 and a half hours) and if something goes wrong I could mess up a lot of footage. I try to cut my recording every 20-30 minutes but I only do audio checks at the beginning.
What kinds of things do other people do to make sure nothing goes wrong?

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
For audio, I have multiple backups to ensure I have a good quality audio. If Audacity screws up my recording, I can use the mic recording from my recording software as the software separates my mic audio with the system audio. I can even use my webcam audio as well as I set my main mic as my default.

For webcam, if it's down, it's down...Just apologize to the viewers regarding the facecam problem and they'll surely understand you.

For gameplay, if it's not entertaining or simply bad...just delete it. It's not worth posting something you don't like to your audience who probably won't enjoy it. If it's entertaining but the quality is either low or the video is not synced with the audio but you really want to upload it, take the time to edit and apologize for the low quality. I personally don't have a good PC to record on, but as long as the video is still watchable and entertaining, it's good enough for me.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
Just had something like that happen recording my new series yesterday. Everything looked normal but the video playback was completely broken. Worst part is it's unfixable so I'm basically in the process now of polling my viewers if they want to continue seeing that or if I should move on to something else.

Sea

Respected User
Just had something like that happen recording my new series yesterday. Everything looked normal but the video playback was completely broken. Worst part is it's unfixable so I'm basically in the process now of polling my viewers if they want to continue seeing that or if I should move on to something else.
Yeah, I recorded the whole Episode 1 of Life is Strange only to find that it was a very low framerate, so I asked and I was told to keep putting it up. If one person wants it then it's at least worth giving to them. Remember that.

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Thanks for all the variety of advice and the solution of what you'll do if it happens to you.

My audio problem was due to after OBS updates, my mixer was reset and so my audio became 1 file instead of 2 and when playing back, the in-game became louder than my voice. (facepalm)

My lag problem was due to the setting that i mess with, to give a good high quality recording, and it made it lag when playing back, I can't even enjoying watching it when it lag. So RIP on this episode as well.. This is what i get for being obsessed of wanting a high quality vids :(

I began to hate myself for messing around and not checking, but like what @Enmoshin said, to keep a positive attitude and i'll try.
Oh well i got a lot of explaining to do on my "next next next" episode.

Sea

Respected User
Thanks for all the variety of advice and the solution of what you'll do if it happens to you.

My audio problem was due to after OBS updates, my mixer was reset and so my audio became 1 file instead of 2 and when playing back, the in-game became louder than my voice. (facepalm)

My lag problem was due to the setting that i mess with, to give a good high quality recording, and it made it lag when playing back, I can't even enjoying watching it when it lag. So RIP on this episode as well.. This is what i get for being obsessed of wanting a high quality vids :(

I began to hate myself for messing around and not checking, but like what @Enmoshin said, to keep a positive attitude and i'll try.
It's okay, life is strange that way. Maybe the next recording will be the one :D

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member

Mistakes happen. They've happened to every YouTuber there is, from the biggest to the smallest. The road to success is paved by failures. The key is to learn from them and keep moving forward!

furon17

Rising User
Freedom! Member
I've had a few episodes of some of my LPs lag (looking at you, XCOM), but it usually solved itself in post. Not sure WHY it'd be lagging to begin with, since my computer should be able to handle a 4 year old game at medium settings. That's life, I suppose.

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Either re-record on another day, fix audio(if audio problems, though sometimes I do need to replace audio tracks for guide videos, due to listening to music during recording :p), if voice or commentary messes up, if personal or psychological reasons, post-pone later towards the end of the day, if not asleep.
Though compared to my old pc (That crap had a only 2 cores -.-) and my new one (4 cores, GTX 960,32gb ram,ect.) there are alot less issues, but still regardless most issues either happen with Adobe Premiere or a mess up on Nvidia Shadowplay's end when updates release. Other then that, pretty much 100% what @Enmoshin said :).