What do I do? - Losing subs because I quit Minecraft

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
Alright guys I don't know what to do right now. A few weeks ago I quit Minecraft and announced a channel revamp where I private my old Minecraft videos and stop recording Minecraft, and lots of people are getting mad, unsubscribing, and things like that. I really need some tips of advice on how to grow faster than I shrink. Let me tell you the story and see what you think.

I quit Minecraft.
Some people get mad, unsubscribe, leave dislikes, etc.
Really demotivating.

This has been happening for a few weeks now and I really need some help on coming up with a solution. If you could help that would be amazing. Thank you so much Freedom! family. :)

emking

Rising User
Apr 16, 2016
YouTube
Then you should just tell them how you feel about it and ask them what would stop them from leaving other than going back to recording Minecraft

Reactions: This Is Ethan

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
The one thing i'm curious about is why would you set somsthing that made you on private? I don't think it is about quitting but more about setting it to private where people can't watch it anymore. That you want to go a different direction doesn't mean you need to lock out your old content.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Thats pretty funny... but yeah that annoys me to hell...

Even one time this travel channel had awesome videos of British Columbia... i check back a year later and they took down the quality from 4k to 360p... still so pissed about that years later...

Wish i saved the videos to my hard drive

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Alright guys I don't know what to do right now. A few weeks ago I quit Minecraft and announced a channel revamp where I private my old Minecraft videos and stop recording Minecraft, and lots of people are getting mad, unsubscribing, and things like that. I really need some tips of advice on how to grow faster than I shrink. Let me tell you the story and see what you think.

I quit Minecraft.
Some people get mad, unsubscribe, leave dislikes, etc.
Really demotivating.

This has been happening for a few weeks now and I really need some help on coming up with a solution. If you could help that would be amazing. Thank you so much Freedom! family. :)
Getting noticed for other content takes time at first. Have you considered ignoring the dislikes? They honestly don't give you that much information at the moment, since people want other content that you used to provide. Getting noticed is harder with doing vlogs in general, you need to provide something of value that other people don't already ^^

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
Getting noticed for other content takes time at first. Have you considered ignoring the dislikes? They honestly don't give you that much information at the moment, since people want other content that you used to provide. Getting noticed is harder with doing vlogs in general, you need to provide something of value that other people don't already ^^
Alright thanks for the tip :D!

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
Maybe you upset them by privating your videos... not sure why that was necessary
The one thing i'm curious about is why would you set somsthing that made you on private? I don't think it is about quitting but more about setting it to private where people can't watch it anymore. That you want to go a different direction doesn't mean you need to lock out your old content.
I privated my content because I wasn't PROUD of what I was creating. When people watched my YouTube videos right in front of me, I always wanted to leave the room because of how awkward and ashamed I was. I didn't want that to continue. Also, my video thumbnails didn't have good thumbnails, so that looked bad for my channel too. As for the new people who visit my channel, I didn't want them to see that I record Minecraft and subscribe because of that, and get them confused and stuff.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Maybe you upset them by privating your videos... not sure why that was necessary

I was thinking the same thing. I don't really understand making videos that were a part of your history private unless there was something just completely wrong with them that you didn't want people to see/hear.

I mean sure it's not part of the channel anymore but it could be interesting for anyone who is interested in seeing how his channel started and where it has come.

I privated my content because I wasn't PROUD of what I was creating. When people watched my YouTube videos right in front of me, I always wanted to leave the room because of how awkward and ashamed I was. I didn't want that to continue. Also, my video thumbnails didn't have good thumbnails, so that looked bad for my channel too. As for the new people who visit my channel, I didn't want them to see that I record Minecraft and subscribe because of that, and get them confused and stuff.

I mean I get that but are you sure you wouldn't get that way around all of your content? I'm not especially proud of my older content either but even when I have friends watching my newer content right in front of me I still feel awkward about it and that content is far better than the older content

As for the thumbnails you could always just update your thumbnails. They don't have to be that way forever.

You have a point somewhat on the new people but the thing is a knowledgeable subscriber would understand you aren't uploading that content anymore if they checked the history of your recent videos uploaded. And if they still subscribe and watch you despite knowing this then great.

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
I was thinking the same thing. I don't really understand making videos that were a part of your history private unless there was something just completely wrong with them that you didn't want people to see/hear.

I mean sure it's not part of the channel anymore but it could be interesting for anyone who is interested in seeing how his channel started and where it has come.

I mean I get that but are you sure you wouldn't get that way around all of your content? I'm not especially proud of my older content either but even when I have friends watching my newer content right in front of me I still feel awkward about it and that content is far better than the older content

As for the thumbnails you could always just update your thumbnails. They don't have to be that way forever.

You have a point somewhat on the new people but the thing is a knowledgeable subscriber would understand you aren't uploading that content anymore if they checked the history of your recent videos uploaded. And if they still subscribe and watch you despite knowing this then great.
Yeah you do have a point... but updating 280 videos with new thumbnails would take a really long time I don't know though, it's just that I wasn't that proud of it as much as my newer videos. It's a bit hard to explain why I privated them, there's a lot of background story behind it that would just be too much to explain. :p

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2014
Where the sun doesn't shine
YouTube

Dude, I still have my old videos from 3 years ago and I never had the intention of deleting them, no matter how bad and cringey they are. To me, old videos are memories of how you started on YouTube, how you began improving in making content and see how big of a difference you make now compared to before. I don't even have proper thumbnails, tags nor description in some of them, to be very honest with you XD. Maybe some of your audience are mad because you private your old videos because they regard it as a memory of your channel?

Nevertheless, losing subs because you're not producing a type of content because you're not into it anymore is normal. Not everyone's gonna stick to the same game for years, right? Losing a few subscribers because you stop doing Minecraft kinda means losing those that's only for your content, and not for who's making the content. If they are truly your fans, they'll support you no matter what path you take.

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
Dude, I still have my old videos from 3 years ago and I never had the intention of deleting them, no matter how bad and cringey they are. To me, old videos are memories of how you started on YouTube, how you began improving in making content and see how big of a difference you make now compared to before. I don't even have proper thumbnails, tags nor description in some of them, to be very honest with you XD. Maybe some of your audience are mad because you private your old videos because they regard it as a memory of your channel?

Nevertheless, losing subs because you're not producing a type of content because you're not into it anymore is normal. Not everyone's gonna stick to the same game for years, right? Losing a few subscribers because you stop doing Minecraft kinda means losing those that's only for your content, and not for who's making the content. If they are truly your fans, they'll support you no matter what path you take.
That's true. Thanks for the input :). Also, I never deleted my videos, I made them private so only I could view them so I can look back at the memories because sometimes that's just fun. Also, I can still improve on my new videos because I can go back and watch the private ones!

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
That's true. Thanks for the input :). Also, I never deleted my videos, I made them private so only I could view them so I can look back at the memories because sometimes that's just fun. Also, I can still improve on my new videos because I can go back and watch the private ones!

But think about it like this. Only you can go back and enjoy them. Another thing to think about is if a new viewer sees them and if they are as bad as you think they are they might leave a comment on one of your newer videos complimenting you on how far you've come since your first videos. Sometimes if you have older content to weigh against the newer content it can make the newer content look even better to some people because like I said before it will show the people you've improved a lot.

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
But think about it like this. Only you can go back and enjoy them. Another thing to think about is if a new viewer sees them and if they are as bad as you think they are they might leave a comment on one of your newer videos complimenting you on how far you've come since your first videos. Sometimes if you have older content to weigh against the newer content it can make the newer content look even better to some people because like I said before it will show the people you've improved a lot.
Oh, maybe I could create a playlist of all of my videos and unlist all of the videos so that they have to look in the description to find the playlist... :eek: