Wacom cintiq 13hd, Is it worth the investment?

SuperRetroBro

Respected User
Aug 12, 2014
Somewhere
YouTube
Since tax season is around the corner I wanted to invest on to a Wacom cintiq 13hd ($799) I do have the intuos and it been a good product but still having issues seeing where am drawing. I came here if anybody has one to tell me if it's worth it.

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
Theres a lot of things to consider in this case so I'm going to try to give you as much information as I can for you to make an informed decision.

First I need to ask you this question: Do you want to make a job out of this?

That question will make a little more sense here in a few minutes!

If you have a standard Intuos (The grey small one) tablet (I'm not talking about the Intuos 5/Pros):

If you are simply doing this for your own personal enjoyment the 13HD is an absolute joy and amazing investment. Its a big step up from the regular Intuos in everything from active drawing area to pressure, and it has a screen.

If you are a professional and looking to make a career out of the investment by working on high end projects that will require detailed work I do not recommend this upgrade. The 13HD based upon my experience using it is just too small for my liking and as a professional I personally recommend going big or going home when it comes to the Cintiq I would not go any lower than the 22HD. I understand the price difference is over $1,000 but trust me when I say if you want this to use for work its worth the extra money for what you gain. Also don't quote me on this but I do believe the 13HD and Companions are the only display tablets they make to not use Sapphire Crystal displays which for people who worry about screen damage is a big con to that model.

In short the 13HD is great for hobby work. I personally use an Intuos 5 at home for personal projects (Its the Pro without the appearance facelift xD) and I work with a 22HD (DONT BUY THE TOUCH FEATURE) at work and soon to be the 27 once we get them in. I strongly recommend if you want to make money with it that you save up and wait for a 22HD.

If you have the Intuos 5/Intuos Pro:

No upgrade is worth it unless your moving up to a 22HD as a professional.. you won't gain much more than the display and if your not a pro its not worth it. Intuos Pros are generally my most expensive recommendation to a recreational artist.

One final note.. stay clear of the touch functionality.. I've got it on the tablets I use and half the time it gets in my way and annoys me till I turn it off... Not worth the extra money you'll spend on that specific feature.

Last edited:

SuperRetroBro

Respected User
Aug 12, 2014
Somewhere
YouTube
@Bee Yes, I would love to make graphic design and animation as a career but since I live in a small town, It's really difficult to make that as a career here. I use to draw from a mouse and later got the Intuos couple years later. I did animation project in middle school and wanted to do that for a living. I love using the Intuos and doing request for people on Tumblr and DeviantArt but I wanna do more but the only issue I have with the Intuos is that of course it doesn't have a screen and I'm more comfortable seeing where I'm drawing by looking at the pen. I know it really pricey but I bet is a good investment.

Another question what's the differences between the Non-Touch and the Touch tablets?

Reactions: Bee

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
@Bee Yes, I would love to make graphic design and animation as a career but since I live in a small town, It's really difficult to make that as a career here. I use to draw from a mouse and later got the Intuos couple years later. I did animation project in middle school and wanted to do that for a living. I love using the Intuos and doing request for people on Tumblr and DeviantArt but I wanna do more but the only issue I have with the Intuos is that of course it doesn't have a screen and I'm more comfortable seeing where I'm drawing by looking at the pen. I know it really pricey but I bet is a good investment.

Another question what's the differences between the Non-Touch and the Touch tablets?

Touch features let you use gestures with your fingers on the screen to do multiple actions like scrolling... its fairly troublesome so I totally recommend avoiding it.