Video Editor Purchase - Intermediate Level

ruiandrade93

New User
Jul 2, 2016
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Video Editing Software that is not professional level, but at the same time not too basic. My aim is to produce YouTube videos. I need to be able to add multiple audio and video tracks that will overlay each other and play simultaneously. For example I would like the main video to be able to allow for a smaller secondary window to play another video inside of it.

I have used already:
  • Windows Movie Maker - too basic for my current needs
  • Wondershare Filmora - this sort of level was ok for me before, but didn't allow multiple tracks. I could use something a bit more advanced than this also.
I am currently considering:
  • Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum - seems to be able to do what I need and is on sale on Steam (so it's the steam powered version) right now until Monday with a 50% discount. Some reviews seem unhappy and I could use the perspective from forum users over here.
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 & Premiere Elements 14 - Seems to me loved by many, but not sure if it's what I need. It's more expensive than Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, is it as intuitive? Is it much better?
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Thank you.

ruiandrade93

New User
Jul 2, 2016
I've read about it and visited the page, but I thought it was very limited what you can with it because of it being free. Does it have available video effects, transitions, etc? I'm guessing you have used it before?

Thanks

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
it has some transitions, not as many as you'd get in movie maker but they can be customised and you can use keyframing to make your own in a way. it does also have effects which you can add such as blurs e.t.c

ruiandrade93

New User
Jul 2, 2016
I had a quick go with it, for some reason didn't feel very comfortable to use. Can't explain it, but will try again and see how it feels.

Any insight on Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum? I liked the look of it and everything seemed intuitive to me.

ruiandrade93

New User
Jul 2, 2016
I removed Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum from my list as there seems to be an issue with it not supporting more recent Nvidia GPUs. On top of that it seems Sony has sold the software to another company now.

Think I'll download trial versions of these 3 and try to find out which best suits me, but if anyone could tell me if they know if there's one which is better than the others in any way, please let me know.

Also each of them have several versions, is there a particular versions you'd recommend?
  • Pinnacle Studio 19.5
  • CyberLink PowerDirector 14
  • Corel VideoStudio X9

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hi,
Since your intermediate level I would not reccomend you waste your money on those. I would reccomend a free software called Hitfilm 4 Express. It's the best free video editor and VFX compositor around. It's main purpose is for VFX but it has a very powerful video editing timeline.
You could even use da Vinci resolve lite.
I personally use Final Cut Pro X but that was given to me. I also use Hitfilm for visual effects. For my big projects I will send the timeline from final cut to da Vinci resolve to do a full color grade but da Vinci resolve also works fine as an editor.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I had a quick go with it, for some reason didn't feel very comfortable to use. Can't explain it, but will try again and see how it feels.

Any insight on Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum? I liked the look of it and everything seemed intuitive to me.
Hitfilm 4 express is actually way more powerful than you think. It just takes some time to get used to. Give it about a week. They have some great tutorials and a big community forums. Refer to my last post for some other alternatives.

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
Hitfilm 4 Pro is on sale at the moment, really good price and if you want a "demo" you can install Express.

Its interface is a lot like that of Adobe Premiere's so the skills you learn in Hitfilm (Pro & Express) are transferable, I would purchase Hitfilm 4 Pro if I did not have the budget for a Creative Cloud subscription.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hitfilm 4 Pro is on sale at the moment, really good price and if you want a "demo" you can install Express.

Its interface is a lot like that of Adobe Premiere's so the skills you learn in Hitfilm (Pro & Express) are transferable, I would purchase Hitfilm 4 Pro if I did not have the budget for a Creative Cloud subscription.

Agreed, I only use express because I also have Final Cut Pro X and Da Vinci Resolve, I mainly use hitfilm for motion graphics such as youtube intros and animation.
I would definitely recommend you use hitfilm 4 express for a bit then switch to either ignite or pro.
When your ready for an expert level switch to premiere but the only software that youtubers really need to make good videos is hitfilm.
Its not about the software, its about the content, your effort and skill.

Reactions: dhyatt52 and Danny

ruiandrade93

New User
Jul 2, 2016
I guess I really need to give it another try.
I can't access it right now, but how limited is the Express version regarding effects and transitions?
Maybe I can just buy the extra features I may need as I go, they probably even have promotions on separate modules?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
I guess I really need to give it another try.
I can't access it right now, but how limited is the Express version regarding effects and transitions?
Maybe I can just buy the extra features I may need as I go, they probably even have promotions on separate modules?

Thanks for the help so far :)
They have modules but I find that the Express is already capable of all the transitions that I need. To dissolve into another clip, just put the previous clip on top and overlap a bit, then keyframe the opacity from 100% to 0% over a second or so. To do a flash to black/white, take a solid colour and place it on top of your clip, then keyframe the opacity.

It's often difficult to pull off other transitions but I'm sure many can be accomplished using the tools of Express as long as you have the know-how.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
They have modules but I find that the Express is already capable of all the transitions that I need. To dissolve into another clip, just put the previous clip on top and overlap a bit, then keyframe the opacity from 100% to 0% over a second or so. To do a flash to black/white, take a solid colour and place it on top of your clip, then keyframe the opacity.

It's often difficult to pull off other transitions but I'm sure many can be accomplished using the tools of Express as long as you have the know-how.

Correct, it just takes about a week to get used to.