Video compression.

Vϟlt

Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
Hi all,
my name is Liam and I am somewhat new to YouTube regardless if I had been partnerred for quite a while.

I work in video & file compression (hobby) and it's useful for my YouTube, but I recently made a 13 minute video and found out that it took a gigabyte for the whole video 'til the end. I found that perfectly reasonable, but others told me that it should be lower than the gigabyte. I use handbrake for compression of videos and I was wondering if anyone could help me with an alternative.

I use H.264 (fast) settings and I seem to still get a gigabyte of video when again I was told I should not be getting this. Right now, it is taking me roughly just under 440 minutes to upload this 13 minute video which I would have to upload over night, sadly.

What I normally do:
I record with OBS with these settings:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/ @ 1920x1080 with my webcamera.

I then put the file inside Sony Vegas Pro which it then renders, it doens't take longer than 45 minutes to render it fully. Then compress it in fast preset in Handbrake.

I know that changing the preset works, but only a small, tiny bit and I find that annoying when it takes even more time to compress in the first place.

I also apologize if this thread is not constructed properly. It's currently 2:25 at the morning and haven't slept yet due to this. Thank you.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I cannot support the use of video compression when creating YouTube videos. Any form of compression will compromise video quality no matter how miniscule.

I recommend finding a H.264 codec for Sony Vegas and uploading directly from that, since it's the exact same thing that YouTube will be using for the playback of your content.

TechNoboOrig

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
South Africa
www.YouTube.com
YouTube
Any video compression will lower quality as something has to disappear to lower file size.
According to YouTube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
You should use H.264 with:
  • Progressive scan (no interlacing)
  • High Profile
  • 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
  • CABAC
  • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
  • Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
and then just use different bitrates for different qualities:

Vϟlt

Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
Any video compression will lower quality as something has to disappear to lower file size.
According to YouTube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
You should use H.264 with:
  • Progressive scan (no interlacing)
  • High Profile
  • 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
  • CABAC
  • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
  • Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
and then just use different bitrates for different qualities:
I cannot support the use of video compression when creating YouTube videos. Any form of compression will compromise video quality no matter how miniscule.

I recommend finding a H.264 codec for Sony Vegas and uploading directly from that, since it's the exact same thing that YouTube will be using for the playback of your content.
I know that compression takes quality away from videos. It's the reason why it exists, to make the file smaller but it has to take something away. However, I also know that I upload 1080p quality videos which is stable enough with my internet. I was looking for an alternative, not an opinion.

@TechNoboOrg

Thanks for the advice. Would certainly check it out :p