Trying to get less stuttering when streaming Super Mario Odyssey (OBS)

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
I decided to pick up an Elgato HD60 Pro for streaming Nintendo Switch games to Twitch after picking up a Nintendo Switch during Thanksgiving. After setting up my HD60 Pro two nights ago when it arrived, I did a test stream on Twitch last night with Super Mario Odyssey to gauge the stream's performance/quality. It's a perfect game to test stream with, seeing how Super Mario Odyssey actually pushes the Switch pretty hard, more so than Breath of the Wild does, especially with New Donk City's outside areas.

I was able to pretty easily get away with 720p after adjusting the profile so that it used 30 FPS in video settings. It was enough to make the stream watchable, but the stream still had minor stuttering issues, especially in busy places like the outside New Donk City but it wasn't enough to be terrible.

I'm trying to maximize performance for the stream while not compromising quality too much. I've read suggestions online to lower the FPS to 25 but also to try lowering the CPS preset. I'm not sure how much these would damper stream quality, if any? There was also the idea of lowering the resolution to 600p as an in between 480p and 720p (or besides 480p itself), but that only seems like a last resort to me. I also heard to disable aero but a friend says that doesn't do anything for performance.
I was also suggested to switch the NVENC codec and double my bitrate to 4000...not sure if I should go above maybe 2500-3000, though, due to that my upload speed is about 5 Mb/ps on average.

I am getting a major rig upgrade (with a Ryzen 5 build) by the end of the year, so this is just a temp solution until I can get the horsepower to properly stream 720p60 or even 1080p60. Is there anything else I can do, settings wise for my Switch Streaming profile?

My OBS settings for my Switch streaming profile: https://imgur.com/a/dJO8F

My Rig (it's kind of old but it'll do until later this year)
Bootdrive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO
HDD: WDC WD10002FAEX-00Z3A0
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 650
RAM: 12 GB DDR3 RAM