YouTube Studio71US Hacked by Ourmine - How to stay safe on YouTube!

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hi Freedom,

Recently some of you may have noticed that a number of large channels have been hacked on YouTube. These aren't just random attacks on random channels. This is a co-ordinated attack by the hacking group OurMine on the network. Studio71US is the US MCN responsible for many of your favourite youtubers. This network has been hacked by a group that you may know previous events. Some if not most or all channels on Studio71 have been hacked as their data from the network has been obtained by the group. Many people share different opinions on these matters so I will not comment on my view of their hacking.
However in wake of these breaches I thought it would be a good time to share a guide with you on how to keep your account safe and secure.

Keeping your data safe and secure relies on multiple factors, including, authentication levels, login difficulty and data storage and sharing.
Below is a short guide on protecting yourself online:

PASSWORDS:
One of the first rules to keeping your information protected is to set a strong password. It may seem like common sense but you will be amazed at just how many people use simple passwords such as 1234, their name or password. Think of a password as a physical lock. Obviously to protect your information your going to go for the bigger stronger lock because it's better. Online you should do the same. Opt for a strong but logical password. While you can use password managers I like to keep away from storing passwords anywhere local or cloud based.
Google has a great setting a password guide here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32040?hl=en
But here's a few things your password should include:
  1. A uncommon/unrelated phrase/word. This phrase should be unrelated to anything you've posted online or anything about your family or yourself that could easily be tracked.
  2. Numbers/Digits. Your password should have atleast a few numerical charecters or digits. However try to keep them out of order and unrelated to your information. A bad example would be 1234 or your birthday.
  3. Special charecters. Try to include atleast one special charecter such as: !?/-@& depending on what the provider will allow.
Finally, be sure to use a different password for your online services. Using the same password across many services will leave you venerable to wider attacks and breaches. If you have different passwords if one is obtained not all services can be accessed.

Multi-Factor/Multi-Layered Authentication:

Two-Factor/Step is such commonly avaliable these days there is no reason for you NOT to be using it. Two factor authentication is basically another level of access to your account. Think of it as having two passwords or a password and a fingerprint. If one person gains one point of entry they still need to get past the other level. Two factor authentication is often setup so you recieve a text to input a code after entering your password or an email with a code. It may not seem like much but it is atleast halving your chances of getting a security breach.
Here's a Wikipedia article about the system:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

Data Sharing
The internet is an open and vast world where information of all kinds is shared. Though be careful what you share and what you store. Obviously don't keep a SPREADHSEET of passwords in your google drive or trust some Indian tech support service with your computer. Also be careful what you post on social media as this can lead to revealing your identity and even login information.

In closing I hope this guide is of help to you. Be sure to leave a comment with your opinions on both these hacks and how our online world is today. Though please respect people's opinions as this is a strong topic of debate.

If you have any questions feel free to mention me or send me a message!

All the best!