YouTube Stress and Doubts as a Content Creator

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
Am I the only one who occasionally has bouts of stress and doubts as a content creator? Like, sometimes I don't think my content is good enough or sometimes I doubt whether slogging through to output five videos a week is worth it. To sort of get what I mean, Jake from Vsauce3 has a good video about this:
Specifically 3:15 onward really resonates with me.

I do development and programming, primarily as a commercial game development endeavor. My stress and doubts also very much extend to that. Sometimes I think my efforts to develop a game or keep going to push out a finished product or prototype isn't worth it. Having people part of my Discord, ones who came because of my development work, having them leave...stresses me out. Makes me think I'm a hack...I'm a fake...I'm not good enough...my development work is not good enough. Having people leave my patreon (which primarily exists for my programming endeavors) gives me the same anxieties.

There's also a semi-personal programming deadline I've sort of been feeling. A pretty bad one, like a weight crushing myself, making me feel like I can't breathe at times. I had people waiting on me for a finished prototype and I had been lagging. I could make the excuses that my sleep habits or laziness makes development more difficult but I don't want to do that, as true as it is. Maybe I shouldn't be as hard on myself, though and just take my time when doing development work. It'll be done when it's done, right?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Pretty interesting thread. Personally I've had quite the amount of stress and pressure lately as well so I can pretty much relate to that. People will just leave Discord servers at random, I don't think you should get too angry about that. The whole deadline stuff is terrible, mostly just gets you clogged up with deadlines you want to get stuff done by causing you to completely block. On the YouTube site you mostly can tell rushed videos apart pretty easily, ones just there to satisfy an upload schedule in the last possible second mostly don't have as much soul to them. On the other hand schedules are good as well. It's a pretty hard thing that you just can't get right when having other stuff next to it.

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
I don't really experience stress about making videos, simply because I know my channel will otherwise suffer if I don't make it. It's been struggling greatly, and it currently only has 209 subscribers after 4 years/ So not making a video I think would be more stressful than making one, as I would be just sitting there, doing nothing, while my channel is suffering, and I'm not there to help it by publishing a video. A few weeks ago my voice went for over a week, and that week was not only painful because I was literally in pain, but also because my channel was suffering and I was unable to help it, as I couldn't make videos.