YouTube Some advices for commentaries

KazamaDaisuke

Freedom! Member
May 9, 2014
Piatra Neamt - Romania
YouTube
Its been a long time since I used the forums so I hope this will be a good place to ask.

So pretty much the problem is simple...but not quite

I know how to commentate over my gameplay, I always find stuff to talk about...but the oroblem comes with this...

Sonce I started youtube a couple of years ago I stumbled on this problem; I got super used to doing videos when being alone at home...so when I have to do videos when my parents are home I talk on a lower volume than usually do in videos...almost like I don't want them to hear me. They are OK with me doing videos... I even swear in my videos and thats not a problem...I think its just something like a bad habit I developed over the years and I feel like it affects my videos...dunno what to do.

P.S - I know a simple answer would be "do videos when alone" but things have changed and I can't have that luxury anymore.

Y

YourSimpleGamer

I know the feeling, I hardly have time alone to work on videos

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Sorry to hear that your having some difficulty in recording videos at your usual level when your parents are home. Would you be able to tell me via a PM some of the videos you have recording when you parents are and aren't home and I can see if there is a difference. As for your bad habit of talking in a lower volume that is just something you may need to break on your own

Flex Bormarr

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2015
Iowa
YouTube
I am the exact same and it makes me more monotone and boring. The best thing for me was playing with friends because I could be more open with talking.

EmperorFun

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 28, 2017
YouTube
Kaiser_Spass
I know that problem as someone painfully shy it's cost a lot of will power to talk loud and clear you just have to force yourself and get used to it.
Also, you can always edit the audio with audacity or so to make you louder etc.

darkcade1

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 23, 2015
YouTube
One of the sole reasons I moved to pure gameplay streaming/recording with no commentaries was because I didn't want to wake my son at night when I did my recording. The videos have lost that personal touch now.
I noticed to that if someone was nearby whilst I was recording I was monotone and flat with no animated audio at all.

It's a challenge that I am yet to get over as well.
Not sure if it will work for you or not, I have considered using my Shed/Garage as my recording studio just so that I can get away from disturbing anyone.

Marsh2907

Freedom! Member
Dec 3, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
Its been a long time since I used the forums so I hope this will be a good place to ask.

So pretty much the problem is simple...but not quite

I know how to commentate over my gameplay, I always find stuff to talk about...but the oroblem comes with this...

Sonce I started youtube a couple of years ago I stumbled on this problem; I got super used to doing videos when being alone at home...so when I have to do videos when my parents are home I talk on a lower volume than usually do in videos...almost like I don't want them to hear me. They are OK with me doing videos... I even swear in my videos and thats not a problem...I think its just something like a bad habit I developed over the years and I feel like it affects my videos...dunno what to do.

P.S - I know a simple answer would be "do videos when alone" but things have changed and I can't have that luxury anymore.

I have the exact same problem. I've just been trying to get myself to be the same regardless if i'm at home alone or not. Got to say though that it's not easy as I am very self conscious of if they can here me or not.

Astinax

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 31, 2014
YouTube
astinax98
I kinda had the same problem as you earlier this year. Before this year, I was always making videos at home living with my parents and I was quite used to it. When I moved to university though, I got put inside a flat with extremely thin walls. When I say extremely thin walls, I mean if my room is silent I can hear the guy in the room next to me having a phone call. Oddly enough, this made me a bit self conscious when recording. I just had to force myself and accept the fact that there is nothing wrong with making videos, the issue was only with me because no one is complaining in my flat. It took a couple of months for me to feel 100% comfortable again and now I believe I'm at this stage, comfortable in my uni room.
Anyways all that to say that you should keep going, force yourself as much as you can and you will eventually get used to it, take it from someone who's been there :)

KazamaDaisuke

Freedom! Member
May 9, 2014
Piatra Neamt - Romania
YouTube
thank you everyone for the help ad advises....i totally forgot i posted this but i slowly but surely got more comfortable doing videos like that...but again I do appreciate all you guys that took their time to help me....that;s why i love Freedom! XD

Reactions: multigamefreakz