YouTube should u clickbait

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
im asking this question because on my channel i get with clickbait thumbnails 30-40 when i
did do clickbait now i get 4-20 sometimes 30 views now i dont like clickbait and i stopped doing
thumbnails like that earlyier this year should u go bad or its bad

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Been a long time since I wrote up the whole "Is clickbait bad" story, let's go again.

Should you clickbait? is a very general question. Let's first dissolve what "Clickbait" means.
Clickbait: something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest
Source: Merriam-Webster.com
Long story short, clickbait means something is designed to get people to want to see more about something after seeing a short impression of it.

Is clickbaiting bad? Hell no, everyone is doing it. It's more bad if you don't do it.

On YouTube you just get two impressions to videos:
  • Title
  • Thumbnail
  • Description... ish
upload_2018-5-16_22-41-29.png

Those are the only things someone will see before having to decide whether to click on your video or the one below it first. Your video is one of 8 (in recommendations) or 5 (in search, assuming it's on top of the searched term) on a page. If you want your video to be the one being selected you have to stand out. That's not a bad thing. Think of it, if your title and stuff weren't designed to get people to your content, why even bother writing them?

But then why is clickbait portrayed so negatively?

Well there's the difference between "good" and "misleading" clickbait that I explain on a weekly basis. Misleading clickbait is just what you'd expect. You click on a video promising a 30000$ HOUSE AND CAR GIVEAWAY just to see a 15 year old play uncut clash of clans at 140p for half an hour. Sidenote, irrelevant titles and tags are against YouTube's Guidelines as well. Most people confuse misleading clickbait with just creating actually good metadata. Keep stuff relevant to the content, you don't want to open a can labelled "caviar" just to see the can filled to the brim with Spam.

Oh and don't stop making thumbnails, look at the screenshot above. They are the most important thing to stand out and make up a third of the search result and half of a recommendation.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-16_22-41-12.png
    upload_2018-5-16_22-41-12.png
    61 KB · Views: 3

Thelazysideoflife

Respected User
Apr 20, 2018
YouTube
Clickbait is not bad if what you are promoting in your title and thumbnail appears in one way or another. I have had that same experience but, when I use clickbait it is always sustained by a part of the video, even if it's just ten minutes. In my opinion clickbait is bad when you are just making things up that won't even appear in the video and that is essentially lying

It's The Kid

Mar 15, 2018
Paterson
YouTube
im asking this question because on my channel i get with clickbait thumbnails 30-40 when i
did do clickbait now i get 4-20 sometimes 30 views now i dont like clickbait and i stopped doing
thumbnails like that earlyier this year should u go bad or its bad
No unless you do it accidentally and what i mean by it is like people on ww2 videos say if the get a v2 rocket with a certain gun and they have it on their thumbnail, thatsby accident. But if you say that this is the best video ever and its just you watching tv, then that's clickbait and that's what i call a disgrace[DOUBLEPOST=1526572716][/DOUBLEPOST]
Been a long time since I wrote up the whole "Is clickbait bad" story, let's go again.

Should you clickbait? is a very general question. Let's first dissolve what "Clickbait" means.

Long story short, clickbait means something is designed to get people to want to see more about something after seeing a short impression of it.

Is clickbaiting bad? Hell no, everyone is doing it. It's more bad if you don't do it.

On YouTube you just get two impressions to videos:
  • Title
  • Thumbnail
  • Description... ish
View attachment 20143

Those are the only things someone will see before having to decide whether to click on your video or the one below it first. Your video is one of 8 (in recommendations) or 5 (in search, assuming it's on top of the searched term) on a page. If you want your video to be the one being selected you have to stand out. That's not a bad thing. Think of it, if your title and stuff weren't designed to get people to your content, why even bother writing them?

But then why is clickbait portrayed so negatively?

Well there's the difference between "good" and "misleading" clickbait that I explain on a weekly basis. Misleading clickbait is just what you'd expect. You click on a video promising a 30000$ HOUSE AND CAR GIVEAWAY just to see a 15 year old play uncut clash of clans at 140p for half an hour. Sidenote, irrelevant titles and tags are against YouTube's Guidelines as well. Most people confuse misleading clickbait with just creating actually good metadata. Keep stuff relevant to the content, you don't want to open a can labelled "caviar" just to see the can filled to the brim with Spam.

Oh and don't stop making thumbnails, look at the screenshot above. They are the most important thing to stand out and make up a third of the search result and half of a recommendation.
He gets it its not bad to say but what im getting at is that people make it into a horrible thing.