Should I or shouldn't I?

G

Gods of Odds

I'm getting tempted to do something that I thought I would never do but a bit different. Although I know shout out series don't usually help the person who does it, I am tempted to start one but do it differently, instead of having you must subscribe to get a shout out, I would say and make very clear only subscribe if you want to and actually enjoy my content. Do you think it is worth doing and would it actually make any difference? I've never liked people who do shout out series before because I know everyone's opinion on them which I do agree with but I'm just wondering if it is worth it now if it is done differently. There is even a YouTube help thing that suggests giving shout outs to subscribers or some other reward.

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
That's nothing different at all. I know some people who gives shout outs only to their subscribers. So nope no difference.
And at your size a shout out won't help that much... But you can try if you like.

FallenShogun

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Oct 12, 2014
YouTube
Personally I would outright avoid shoutout series unless it would actually benefit the person. I have been mass spammed by channels that literally start, tell thousands of small channels to sub to them for shoutouts and blow up overnight. The trouble with that is, youtubers don't usually like watching other people if it doesn't benefit them, so you will end up with dead subs accumulating over time. If you go for it you really have to ***** yourself out to even keep up the steam and energy or you crash and burn fast

G

Gods of Odds

Yep I don't know what to do, I really don't like the idea of shout out series but I'll have to see.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
The end result of the shoutout series will be no different. Many people who do them have side content and do try to recommend to subscribe for that, but people just want themselves to get a shoutout. Think about that for a second.

If I subscribe to someone with the intention of getting a shoutout myself, then I'm not going to care about the person getting the shoutout, or about who is giving the shoutout for that matter. The people who participate in shoutouts also likely participate in other shoutout series' on other channels. So that nets no useful subscribers for you, and no subscribers for whoever gets the shoutout. It's kinda the same way as the content section of this forum works. People post (get shoutouts) and then nobody bites because almost every single one of them wants people to go to their stuff instead of themselves going to someone else's.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I think a better idea would be do a video series on undiscovered channels that might have potential. Just giving a shutout because someone requested it, and not because you liked their channel will just end up showcasing fairly average channels and you aren't going to get many people that watch it.

G

Gods of Odds

Thanks for the replies, I do agree with them points, I'll have a think about it.