Short vs Long gaming videos???

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
I started off making longer videos (25 -45 min) and wasn't growing very much. I shortened my videos to 10-20 minutes in length and I started growing immensely compared to my growth rate before shortening my videos. I feel about 15-20 min is a good length per video. Gives you enough time to play the game, be entertaining, and short enough to where people don't get bored with you and lose interest.

MWproductions1000

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 21, 2014
Ohio
YouTube
It really depends on the game. If the game is fast paced, you can get away with shorter videos. If it's a more story driven game like Night in the Woods, I'd go for 50-60 minute episodes.

StormMoreno

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio, United States
YouTube
StormMoreno
It depends on the game in question if you are looking for a let's play for a longer game such as Assassin's Creed Origins or games that are very long you would want to make longer videos because you don't want to clutter your channel with one series. But if you are playing something that is almost infinite content like Overwatch or any multiplayer game you can upload a match or a couple of matches to make it work. But the thing is you might want to start out with shorter videos and work yourself up to longer videos so you can get accustomed to using your voice for longer periods of recording.

Asinellus

New User
Dec 23, 2017
YouTube
I think it really depends. On my channel I started with slightly longer videos (up to 30 mins) and then changed to videos that are 10-20 mins (and sometimes less). I think it mainly depends on what games you play and how much you edit your videos afterwards. Most of the time I would prefer a short but exciting video over a long one (because they tend to get boring) but if you can keep it exciting then go for it.

Rhan

Nov 2, 2017
Reach
YouTube
i honestly prefer shorter videos. I find it kind of hard to to get immersed in longer videos even if its of a game i like.

Jack Bounds

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2018
YouTube
SharpExGaming
For me, videos exceeding 25 minutes become more difficult to watch . I'd really have to be in the mood or really interested to sit through a video that long. But on the other hand a 5 minute video on something that I love is too short.

I aim to upload 10-20 minute videos to try and balance viewer interest with maximum content.

Hopefully that helps in some way

Rockstars 1815

Rising User
Jan 4, 2018
YouTube
If the video is very entertaining with good commentary to go with it I would sit through a hour long video too.
As long as you can keep the fun factor in a video, your watch times will increase significantly.

CaptainzRulez

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2015
YouTube
I personally like to watch short 5-10 minute videos as long as there is a lot of effort in them. If it is a long 20-40 minute video, it HAS to be entertaining or else I wouldn't be able to finish it.

iCrazyBlaze

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 9, 2017
YouTube
I always used to make like 40 min long videos, but people complained that they didn't want to watch for that long. Really, it comes down to your average watch time, mine being absolute crap anyway. The best thing to do is make a video that's only a few minutes over this average watch time, to better suit the audience.

Overall, to me 10:00 is a perfect length for a YouTube gaming video.

Last edited:

TEkSTA

New User
Jan 17, 2018
YouTube
Most of my videos are around the 5 min mark, but if i'm making a series of videos of a game(Did one for Alien Isolation on PC with my mates from uni), I treat them like episodes so they can be around 15 - 20 min long