YouTube Self Promoting On Bigger Youtube Channels? Good or Bad Idea

Purpleoak

Freedom! Member
Mar 30, 2017
Alabama
YouTube
willie_nutter
I saw in another forum that people post in bigger youtubers comment section to self promote themselves. Now I mean this can be a "good" idea to a point.

If you do this DO NOT directly imply that you are trying to promote your channel in anyway. Maybe if they are playing the same game, try to say that you are playing it as well..you know drop hints... It's hard to explain it, you do not want to end up in the spam section on people's comments. Never say "oh man great channel, blah blah blah, come check out my channel" That is a horrible way to self promote in general. I hate people that send me that garbage.

If you do self promote and you make that known directly you may get a lot of hate from that person's fans lol What is some opinions on this ??

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Speaking about when people do it to my channel if they do it in implied terms and say something along the lines of "great video, I liked it when you did X, I also played the game but did it differently by doing Y" then I don't mind. As it not only shows that they took the time to watch the video, which causes me to be grateful but also gets me interested in what they did, and how things turned out for them. However as you said if people do the usual "great channel heres mine" then this is typically pulled up by my spam filters and binned straightaway.

Reactions: OnlyUltimate

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Terrible idea. Here's why:

Many YouTubers have complained about Spam in the past, including me. It isn't constructive towards anyone. You basically tell people to go to your channel and then what? About five people will see it, maybe one or two people will Subscribe and the rest will be annoyed at it. I believe the Comments should be there to talk about the video itself and not to spam. Personally I hate the comments the most that are extremely nice and supportive and then just turn into flat out SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL ones. You don't know whether the person actually meant what they said or actually just had the deeper message to get the channel they are connected to out there. Mostly your comment on a popular YouTuber's videos won't actually get anywhere so it's just useless as other comments will be bumped to the top. Just try to be nice or not comment at all. There's nothing worse than a comment with the message of spreading your channel that's actually a neutral comment.

Brant Shaw

New User
Apr 2, 2017
I saw in another forum that people post in bigger youtubers comment section to self promote themselves. Now I mean this can be a "good" idea to a point.

If you do this DO NOT directly imply that you are trying to promote your channel in anyway. Maybe if they are playing the same game, try to say that you are playing it as well..you know drop hints... It's hard to explain it, you do not want to end up in the spam section on people's comments. Never say "oh man great channel, blah blah blah, come check out my channel" That is a horrible way to self promote in general. I hate people that send me that garbage.

If you do self promote and you make that known directly you may get a lot of hate from that person's fans lol What is some opinions on this ??
I think it's a bad idea personally, because as a creator you want to read your viewers thoughts towards your video and what you could do to improve rather than come subscribe to me so it gets annoying

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Self-promotion in any form, even if it is just hinting at it, is not only a terrible idea but classifiable as spam as a violation of YouTube's community guidelines. When you promote in the comment section of another channel, you are effectively acting as a parasite trying to leech away at the popularity of another creator. This. Is. Wrong.

YouTube is a community, and communities do help each other to some extent. If you want to get views from another channel, act as if you are part of the community, engage in the community and say things people want to read, get them comment likes. The more you participate in a channel, the more people are potentially going to see your name and you won't even have to give the slightest hint at running your own channel.

Let me give a slight example of how participating in the community helped me. I commented on a UnboxTherapy video in July of 2016, the comment read "Jack reveal at 5 mil!", with bold for emphasis and visibility. Nowhere in that comment did I mention or even hint at the slightest extent that I had my own channel. That comment got 2000 likes during its relevancy, and there was a noticeable bump in my viewership for that day. YouTube is community, each channel is based around that community and will only leave on it's own volition. If you try to coerce members of that community to come to your own community, there will be visible revolt.

SnakeCity

Freedom! Member
Jun 21, 2015
YouTube
Self promoting is something that when starting off small and practically non-existent on Youtube, you should do but it depend on the circumstances. One place to NEVER self promote is Youtube comment sections of other channels. For one thing, it breaks community guidelines and 90% of the time is just spam blocked. And if it doesn't get spam blocked, people will disregard it. When I read or post comments, it's to talk about the video not to self advertise and usually people ignore the self promoters and look at them as sellouts and needy.

If you want to grow on Youtube, you need to make what essentially is channel relationships or become an active community member. If you engage with a subscriber base, people start to recognize your name and you get exposure just by being active. There are places to promote and there are places not to.

Gaara406

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2014
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
YouTube
I would highly advise not to promote your channel in anyone's comment section, personally I think it's rude. Like they're working hard on their videos and someone is basically trying to take the light off of their work to get them to come check out their channel. People have done it to me even and what I don't even have 400 subs...It's disrespectful and shouldn't be done imo.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Just the though hurts :( its rude to just spam other channels videos to get people to look at your stuff. 99% of the time it won't work either. I get quite a few people saying the stock "nice video, check out my channel / sub to it" kind of messages. I end up either replying to them with a message like "sorry but I'm don't find your content entertaining to me" or something along those lines.​

TopList

Apr 4, 2017
YouTube
i wouldn't recommend it, it makes you look highly desperate and will bring a lot of unwanted attention and a bad reputation for you and your channel, everyone needs to realise with youtube you get lucky or you don't, you grow fast or you don't, people watch your content or you don't, your time will come where you get the attention you want all it takes it patience

Reactions: Gaara406

Reefkey

New User
Apr 7, 2017
YouTube
Personally, I only have 2 subscribers. As someone with such a low subscriber count, I try not to do that but instead just keep posting content on weekends and I just hope someone would stumble upon my content and HOPEFULLY share it. To me, Im fine if the channel that is promoting itself has low amount of subscribers like me.

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
Yeah, it's a bad idea. Some people are already aware of this, and you might get flagged.
But you don't have to necessarily avoid this though, you can advertise your channel without straightforwardly advertising it. Just make a very good comment, and who knows? Maybe someone would take a look at your channel and gets interested.
Just don't go bold with the "Hey guys check out my channel, I make _____ content"