Routers!

WesleyTheSkater

Freedom! Member
Mar 18, 2015
YouTube
Hello everyone! I've been thinking about upgrading my router but I couldn't seem to find the right one and I don't know a lot of routers or anything like that so I decided to come here! I was hoping someone could help me out and help me find the best router. I pretty much just play very few games such as CS:GO and Minecraft but I will be playing more games soon. So the router needs to be able to support that plus my friend who lives in the same house would be using it too. I would also be using it to stream, upload, and download things. I maybe even will connect my PS4 to it also. I was hoping someone could help me find a router that could do that and would be really good for performance but also affordable. If you an help thank you!

ZacsCustom

Technologist, Future Gamer! ~ Zac's Custom
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
YouTube
ZacsCustom
Routers Made By Netgear Are Good.
Sure if you'd like to spend roughly $100+ and get the high end ones... Sorry Frank, but I'd suggest sticking to Linksys, Belkin, Asus, strictly speaking if you'd like to Game, and multi task on the router. Most other third party routers aren't even worth batting an eye at because of what they offer for the price.

Asus - Best in class router for heavy multi tasking, File sharing, Gaming at 4K, Streaming at 4K all at once(Depending on router)

Belkin - All around great router, I'd recommend anything better than their sub $50 router's.

Linksys - Best all around router's, any will do, as long as it's not below $50.

Sincerely,

Zac's Custom

Reactions: WesleyTheSkater

WesleyTheSkater

Freedom! Member
Mar 18, 2015
YouTube
Sure if you'd like to spend roughly $100+ and get the high end ones... Sorry Frank, but I'd suggest sticking to Linksys, Belkin, Asus, strictly speaking if you'd like to Game, and multi task on the router. Most other third party routers aren't even worth batting an eye at because of what they offer for the price.

Asus - Best in class router for heavy multi tasking, File sharing, Gaming at 4K, Streaming at 4K all at once(Depending on router)

Belkin - All around great router, I'd recommend anything better than their sub $50 router's.

Linksys - Best all around router's, any will do, as long as it's not below $50.

Sincerely,

Zac's Custom
Thanks. Do you know any good Asus routers by any chance?

dandruff

Aug 15, 2015
YouTube
if you find an old computer from a thrift store or if you have an old one laying around you could always download free software and make your own router

ZacsCustom

Technologist, Future Gamer! ~ Zac's Custom
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
YouTube
ZacsCustom
Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy lately with work.

Here are the routers I've found -

Highest Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115 (Best)(Only choose if you have GigaBit Internet Speed, or plan to upgrade to it soon)

Middle Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091 (Better)(Best Option if you want the farthest range 450FT, and want to keep it within your budget)

Lowest Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320179 (Great)(Still a great option, but the best in range, or performance, but will do if you are going wired instead of Wireless.)

Hope these help,

Side Note - If you were to use a computer as a router, it's more of a hassle to set it up, and sure you can use YouTube videos, but i'm sure you'd rather just buy a router, have a warranty with it, and potentially a better experience with it, than have to go through all the hardship and work to setup a computer to become a router.

Sincerely,

Zac's Custom

Reactions: WesleyTheSkater

dandruff

Aug 15, 2015
YouTube

Side Note - If you were to use a computer as a router, it's more of a hassle to set it up, and sure you can use YouTube videos, but i'm sure you'd rather just buy a router, have a warranty with it, and potentially a better experience with it, than have to go through all the hardship and work to setup a computer to become a router.

Sincerely,

Zac's Custom

i dont know of a consumer edition router that you can put a terabyte of cache behind. someone on a data limit would benefit from one immensely.

also, all you need is a $25 gigabit network card and it will outperform any off the shelf router.

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
A user building their own /cheap/ router from a old PC will only serve that one user. If we're talking about house mates, WIFI, we've already gone beyond the scope of a /cheap used pc/. If anyone is concerned about cahce they should just build a proxy. /Many/ linux based systems have /super easy/ guides on how to configure one of them, from a pc to a raspberry pi. I think the best compromise of a DYI router would be something like an opensource compatible router such as certain ASUS routers where a user can install DD-WRT or my personal favorate Tomato :D

Reactions: dandruff

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
That's the point I'm making. Reasonable router for a prosumer (he sounds like a prosumer so I'm going with that) $100-150. ($99 MSRP if he goes for something like the ASUS I mentioned). Done

Used PC with parts that are still in working condition $100- $150. + switches, $10 in your case (which is an amazing buy since i'm guessing it's gigabit) but I feel safer estimating $50 for a gigabit switch + $## for a wireless access point.

I'm not saying your suggesting is /bad/, personally I love your suggestion. But there are cheaper /alright/ options out there.

dandruff

Aug 15, 2015
YouTube
Used PC with parts that are still in working condition $100- $150. + switches, $10 in your case (which is an amazing buy since i'm guessing it's gigabit) but I feel safer estimating $50 for a gigabit switch + $## for a wireless access point.

well technically because the old PC is just laying around not being used, it isnt going to cost you anything more. so for $40 (cost of network card and switch) you could have a router that would be a lot more powerful than any consumer grade router.

i will concede that it is more work to set up and for more advanced users.

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
well technically because the old PC is just laying around not being used, it isnt going to cost you anything more. so for $40 (cost of network card and switch) you could have a router that would be a lot more powerful than any consumer grade router.

i will concede that it is more work to set up and for more advanced users.

Oh! I thought when you wrote "find" an old PC that you meant like...find and buy one.. o i c

WesleyTheSkater

Freedom! Member
Mar 18, 2015
YouTube

Here are the routers I've found -

Highest Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115 (Best)(Only choose if you have GigaBit Internet Speed, or plan to upgrade to it soon)

Middle Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091 (Better)(Best Option if you want the farthest range 450FT, and want to keep it within your budget)

Lowest Price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320179 (Great)(Still a great option, but the best in range, or performance, but will do if you are going wired instead of Wireless.)

Hope these help,

Sincerely,

Zac's Custom
thank you soo much and i will definatly be buying one of these