Request Review & Help Advise for my Gaming Channel

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
Hi Creators!

Glad to have such a great community at hand to help, i'm hoping this is the right forum in which people can help by providing constructive criticism to improve and better my content &/or channel!

I've recently got back into creating videos for runescape at the moment with commentary (a first!) and will be switching from time to time between RS and games such as StarWars / CoD / DayZ.

Here's my channnel https://www.youtube.com/user/ownorko

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
First thing I've noticed you would work on is making enticing thumbnails and video titles. You need something to draw people in first. On your latest video, you also had a really long video. The first 10 seconds are the most important, it's where the viewer decides if they want to watch your video and is very important for retention time, so try to make the intro short and sweet

Reactions: OwnOrKo

The Gaming Heretic

Well-Known User
Aug 1, 2014
YouTube
Here it is for what it is worth!

• No Channel Trailer.. Not enticing or engaging. Have a channel trailer to grab the attention (An example is you can see what we do on our network hub: Check it out here )
  • Your Banner and Naming can be inconsistent with your videos. I'm not saying you have to be consistent, but when I think 'OwnorKO' I think 'Own or Knock Out' .. Some aren't in relation to that.
  • THUMBNAILS! Thumbnails can make or break you. When someone searches Star Wars Battlefront, you are competing with thousands of videos.. Your thumbnail and Title is what is going to get someone's attention. You can look at 10phoenix01 for a good example of thumbnails.
  • Videos are fine, music is fine (except when you get dangerously close to copyright music) - Consider some form of call to action via text' - 'comment, rate, subscribe' .. etc.. At the beginning and/or ending.

Reactions: OwnOrKo

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
Thank you very much for your feedback this is brilliant!

I've changed my channel name with correct capitalization 'OwnorKO' which is much better, older videos have got different intros/outros etc but only because I haven't been able to get the best intro for myself at the moment. - Yours however is informative and on point especially the Trailer.

With regards to thumbnails that is my fault and I will try my best to work on it in the near future :) and copyrighted music can be quite annoying as I use channels which promote royality free music - which sometimes results in a copyright claim but only action is to allow them to monetize the video (im fine with)

The Gaming Heretic

Well-Known User
Aug 1, 2014
YouTube
Thank you very much for your feedback this is brilliant!

I've changed my channel name with correct capitalization 'OwnorKO' which is much better, older videos have got different intros/outros etc but only because I haven't been able to get the best intro for myself at the moment. - Yours however is informative and on point especially the Trailer.

With regards to thumbnails that is my fault and I will try my best to work on it in the near future :) and copyrighted music can be quite annoying as I use channels which promote royality free music - which sometimes results in a copyright claim but only action is to allow them to monetize the video (im fine with)

You used music that was a modified version of music Copyright by LucasFilms.. I'd be careful with that. It's my personal opinion to keep it to what you can get through Freedom! or your subnetwork (like HitStart or what ever network you're with). But! Your channel, your rules. It can just get dicey if they decide to, instead of monetizing, dmca and take the channel down.

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
Completely agree with you and will consider it for all future videos, I may need to knuckle down and find the music/resources to build a folder and use in the future. I was thankful that Lucas had allowed it on the video, was a risk to take!
I do appreciate the help! in terms of quality of commentary on the newer videos am I generally heading in the right direction?

YodaMan509

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2016
somewhere out there
YouTube
Not a bad channel at all.

Things id suggest need work
1.as stated above thumbnails are verry important i tend not to click on gaming vids without custom thumbnails
2.some music i didnt notice much music in the runescape vid and thought it was a perect fit for some maybe add some in the future xD
3. Overall look/artwork was good i liked your logo and banner not to flashy but just right.
Anyways i thought the channel was pretty good and i wish u the best of luck have a good one bud

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Hi Creators!

Glad to have such a great community at hand to help, i'm hoping this is the right forum in which people can help by providing constructive criticism to improve and better my content &/or channel!

I've recently got back into creating videos for runescape at the moment with commentary (a first!) and will be switching from time to time between RS and games such as StarWars / CoD / DayZ.

People have given you a lot of tips, but I wanted to add one more. Branding yourself early on will get others to remember you easier. Find a scheme that works for you, and roll with it.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Cheers yoda! I best get onto making some thumbnail templates then!

I don't spose any of you know anyone who will be willing to make an intro?
Head over to the Requests/Offers, and you can find someone there. Offering money can get you a personalized intro, which will definitely work out in your favor. There might be some offers for free work, but 1-5$ would be nothing ^^

https://freedom.community.tm/forums/requests-offers.235/

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
I have posted in there but no responses as of yet, sadly I have no money to offer at the moment till after this month, I can only offer a shout out and links in first few videos as a bit of help in return.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I have posted in there but no responses as of yet, sadly I have no money to offer at the moment till after this month, I can only offer a shout out and links in first few videos as a bit of help in return.
It can vary. Artists are in high demand, and artists usually make their own threads. I hope that you manage to find somebody to assist you, it can take time when you want something pristine ^^

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Hi Creators!

Looking at your channel the first thing i notice is that your missing a channel trailer, by adding this you grab the attention of newcomers to what your channel has to offer in a nice montage video.

Your banner and Avatar are simple and clean wich looks good.

I would work on the thumbnails but it is hard for me to judge as i use basics due to lack of time but it is something that can draw the eye more.