Renting privately only on benefits as income in UK

G

Gods of Odds

I just want to say first that this really is my last resort but I think I'm going to need to move out and rent privately as council housing isn't exactly likely to happen for me but I'm going to have to live of benefits due to many reasons. I don't want to live with benefits which is why I haven't even considered it for over a year now but like I said it's a last resort, so basically I just want to know a few things. Is it actually possible to live purely off benefits in the UK probably in the Welwyn Garden city area? I would of course claim housing benefit and I currently already get DLA which is around £300 a month, I was looking for places for around £650 pound maybe £675 if I can't find anything. Like I said I really am doing this as a last resort, I've been trying to get a job and find other ways for over a year but lets just say it didn't work out very well. Does anyone else here do it and if so could you tell me what benefits you get and things like that?

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Are you already paying for food and other expenses at the moment? All of that can add up to quite a lot... Might be better off finding a place with shared accommodation if you can.

I don't live in the UK but i'm guessing living expenses and rent would be fairly similar

G

Gods of Odds

Are you already paying for food and other expenses at the moment? All of that can add up to quite a lot... Might be better off finding a place with shared accommodation if you can.

I don't live in the UK but i'm guessing living expenses and rent would be fairly similar
I already pretty much pay for most of my food and other expenses so the main difference would be paying the rent and other bills. I have been trying to find a job I could do at home or some sort of income booster but so far I've found nothing. One of my main problems is getting money for a deposit.

Alkaline Martin

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 17, 2015
Scotland
YouTube
Hey, when it comes to private rent, i dont have a personal experience as it's council rent for me, but i only recieve a careers allowance as my housemate has epilepsy and she receives DLA and ESA, but the housing benifit will pay for private rent, all the details should be on the Citizen Advise website.

But as the only income coming in for myself is the (terrible) Careers Allowance and my housemates DLA and her ESA (and when i get an odd job here and there) we manage to live on that pretty well, bills get paid food get bought.

Can i ask if you also recieve ESA (employment and support allowance) by any chance as that does help a lot with the finances.

When it come to the deposit i'm not sure if the housing benifit will help with that i dont see why not though

G

Gods of Odds

Hey, when it comes to private rent, i dont have a personal experience as it's council rent for me, but i only recieve a careers allowance as my housemate has epilepsy and she receives DLA and ESA, but the housing benifit will pay for private rent, all the details should be on the Citizen Advise website.

But as the only income coming in for myself is the (terrible) Careers Allowance and my housemates DLA and her ESA (and when i get an odd job here and there) we manage to live on that pretty well, bills get paid food get bought.

Can i ask if you also recieve ESA (employment and support allowance) by any chance as that does help a lot with the finances.

When it come to the deposit i'm not sure if the housing benifit will help with that i dont see why not though
I currently don't get ESA although I have looked at it quite a lot, I want to get it but I'm worried that they will put me in the group where I have to go to the interviews. I have been trying and really thinking about getting a job but I have a extremely bad stomach problem so that makes me really not want a job as it could cause problems.