Relationships & YouTube

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
So I, and I'm sure most of you, too, have noticed that a lot of couples on YouTube have split up.

Some examples of break-ups:
  • Jesse Wellens & Jeana Smith (PrankVSPrank)
  • SSSniperWolf & Sausage
  • Anthony Padilla (From Smosh) & Kalel Cullen
  • Marcus Butler & Niomi Smart
  • Charles Trippy & Alli Speed (CTFxC)
  • Shane Dawson & Lisa Schwartz
Do you think the job of being a YouTuber is responsible for a lot of recent break-ups? Or is it just merely coincidence?

Jesse and Jeana, who broke up around a week ago, mentioned YouTube and the issues that it has brought to their relationship in their video.

LeGenDaryPuLse

Mythic User
Nov 26, 2015
Not in Fallout 4
YouTube
I feel like a lot of these relationships just shared too much too early on. A lot of them have been recording their relationships not even a year in and I think that plays a major role in the break up. For these things to work out you really need a solid foundation set in your relationship before you can go off sharing it with the world.

Reactions: OnlyUltimate

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
I feel like a lot of these relationships just shared too much too early on. A lot of them have been recording their relationships not even a year in and I think that plays a major role in the break up. For these things to work out you really need a solid foundation set in your relationship before you can go off sharing it with the world.

Good point! Hmm... I think YouTube couples need to calm down on their upload schedule slightly! :oops:

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
I don't think it's the main reason that it happens, but I do think it has a part to play in their breakups. I personally think it's because they start to put YouTube and their uploads before their significant other, just like Jesse said in their breakup video, it's hard to tell if you are doing it for the video or for love. I do think relationships can be very successful on YouTube though. The only one that I can really think of atm is Shay and Collette from the Shaytards.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Have to agree with @LeGenDaryPuLse on this one.

If you jump in front of the camera and take your partner along without a solid base then your bound to get trouble.

A good example was the Dutch Channel Banjomovies with Bardo Ellens, he made skits and vlogs and never had problems untill he let is partner joined in. Took 2 or 3 months before that broke down and in a confession he said it was due to doing youtube together was a big load on their relationship. She went back to her own thing and he continued with his.

Now if i look at my own relationship, my wife does live streaming on Twitch and i have my own gameplay channel. We sometimes do something together but mostly do our own thing. Well 3 years later and i'm still together and have zero problems :p

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
I don't think it's the main reason that it happens, but I do think it has a part to play in their breakups. I personally think it's because they start to put YouTube and their uploads before their significant other, just like Jesse said in their breakup video, it's hard to tell if you are doing it for the video or for love. I do think relationships can be very successful on YouTube though. The only one that I can really think of atm is Shay and Collette from the Shaytards.
Marzia and Felix seem to be doing well. So do Colleen and Josh. I suppose it's just how you handle YouTube in a relationship. :oops:

Benjipinch92

Rising User
Apr 28, 2016
YouTube
I think youtube when you get larger will take most of your time as in recording editing will take so much up of your life but however it is hard to balance both

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
So I, and I'm sure most of you, too, have noticed that a lot of couples on YouTube have split up.

Some examples of break-ups:
  • Jesse Wellens & Jeana Smith (PrankVSPrank)
  • SSSniperWolf & Sausage
  • Anthony Padilla (From Smosh) & Kalel Cullen
  • Marcus Butler & Niomi Smart
  • Charles Trippy & Alli Speed (CTFxC)
  • Shane Dawson & Lisa Schwartz
Do you think the job of being a YouTuber is responsible for a lot of recent break-ups? Or is it just merely coincidence?

Jesse and Jeana, who broke up around a week ago, mentioned YouTube and the issues that it has brought to their relationship in their video.

It think it's so much as a coincidence as a minor trend. Seeing these video's if you're a similar youtuber in a relationship stirs up emotion and maybe even awareness of your own relationship.

Take that in account with people always voicing their opinion online and finding some evidence for your own trail of thought and there you have it a brewing pot of insecurity and breakups.

People are just people where all insecure in a way and the moment that youtube is the thing to do it, can make it a really hard place to thrive in and be successful in a relationship on there!

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
As a youtuber with a job wife and 3 kids, sometimes I wonder if I should be doing youtube at all... But... I love it...

But its almost impossible to keep up with everything you have to do to keep the numbers on the up and up.

Which is why I kinda gave up on alot of stuff, like hanging out in the forum alot, maintaining my website and facebook pages. Basically killed my social game...

I spent far too much time with all that...
I still answer comments usually, and chat with friends on steam. But I stopped doing alot of things I used to do...

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
As a youtuber with a job wife and 3 kids, sometimes I wonder if I should be doing youtube at all... But... I love it...

But its almost impossible to keep up with everything you have to do to keep the numbers on the up and up.

Which is why I kinda gave up on alot of stuff, like hanging out in the forum alot, maintaining my website and facebook pages. Basically killed my social game...

I spent far too much time with all that...
I still answer comments usually, and chat with friends on steam. But I stopped doing alot of things I used to do...
That must be really difficult if you want to spend a lot of time with your family and want a successful YouTube career at the same time. :confused:

Maybe it's good that I started so early. I mean I have a girlfriend but I don't have kids nor do I have a house or bills to pay... :oops:

Hmm... Maybe involve your family more in your videos, so you spend time with your family and make videos at the same time? :) I know you already involve your kids in videos sometimes...

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
That must be really difficult if you want to spend a lot of time with your family and want a successful YouTube career at the same time. :confused:

Maybe it's good that I started so early. I mean I have a girlfriend but I don't have kids nor do I have a house or bills to pay... :oops:

Hmm... Maybe involve your family more in your videos, so you spend time with your family and make videos at the same time? :) I know you already involve your kids in videos sometimes...
I cant film while dealing with my kids ... 2 of my kids are non verbal and autistic... So we basically need to be on alert at all times...