Recording/editing videos for free?!

UnstoppableFrost

Well-Known User
Mar 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
For recording games for free I would definitely suggest OBS then you could upgrade and buy a recording software like bandicam or fraps or something.

For editing softwares there's not really any good ones for free, most of them are trials so I would say if you want to go free, get OBS, record from there and once you have enough money buy a decent editing software

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
For recording games for free I would definitely suggest OBS then you could upgrade and buy a recording software like bandicam or fraps or something.

For editing softwares there's not really any good ones for free, most of them are trials so I would say if you want to go free, get OBS, record from there and once you have enough money buy a decent editing software
It's surprising how much a basic set-up can cost for editing on the computer. Somebody should compute the cost for getting the beginning gear for youtube in general, heh.

james swartley

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 14, 2016
YouTube
It's surprising how much a basic set-up can cost for editing on the computer. Somebody should compute the cost for getting the beginning gear for youtube in general, heh.
i agree to start just a gaming channel its expensive !!! You figure consule , games editing software and cap card ..Ouch i feel my pocket crying !!

Antimony

Rising User
Apr 4, 2016
YouTube
A good 3k for an average, decent setup. 1.5 - 2k for the least quality.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
A good 3k for an average, decent setup. 1.5 - 2k for the least quality.
That's why big youtubers make easier videos than the average person can, they have all the money to spare, hah. Imagine having a video editor to do your videos for you, a graphic person to manage your art, and a sponsor to pay for your equipment :eek: The difference is real, hah.

Reactions: james swartley

Antimony

Rising User
Apr 4, 2016
YouTube
That's why big youtubers make easier videos than the average person can, they have all the money to spare, hah. Imagine having a video editor to do your videos for you, a graphic person to manage your art, and a sponsor to pay for your equipment :eek: The difference is real, hah.
If you know how to work your way around video editing softwares, you can put out great content through low quality equipment. Sadly, I'm not the person to know how to make low quality to high quality.

:(

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
If you know how to work your way around video editing softwares, you can put out great content through low quality equipment. Sadly, I'm not the person to know how to make low quality to high quality.

:(
It depends on the person, I worked a lot more when I was younger, and I set my money aside for the video editor I have today. Getting a new computer is the hardest part now :eek:

Antimony

Rising User
Apr 4, 2016
YouTube
It depends on the person, I worked a lot more when I was younger, and I set my money aside for the video editor I have today. Getting a new computer is the hardest part now :eek:
I gave up most of my common needs to get a gaming rig like mine. Including a phone, RIP. :(

james swartley

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 14, 2016
YouTube
i agree it would be so much easier

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Yeah its easily $3000 for a complete setup...

If i had to estimate I probably have spent about $6000 in the last 3 years, not including games... My original cameras and computer i started with are dead. So Im on my second set of everything.

But it can be done pretty cheap...
I could just make and edit videos all with my cell phone... would be pretty cheap to get started that way...

Btw there are some free editing options, they just arnt full featured.

Last edited:

Charxander Origin

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2016
YouTube
To record I use Raptr. Editing is just MovieMaker. For the most part, I have just used the supplies we had around the house to start my channel. A basic, not too amazing computer with a built in mic, and my brother's copy of Minecraft XD. The only thing I really put money into was the new mic I just got. So far this stuff has served me well, but I figure I will upgrade some day. For now though, I have to save up for the new Pokemon game XD