Forums ReCaptcha

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
Lately I've noticed the spam bots have become super aggressive, filling up pages of spam where you can't even see the daily thread conversations anymore. It really deters people from wanting to participate from the forum.

I brought it up to a mod earlier, but I'm going to suggest it so others can see and hopefully agree with me. I think the Freedom! staff should add a ReCaptcha just to prevent a slew of spam on the forums, even if a little bit.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Lately I've noticed the spam bots have become super aggressive, filling up pages of spam where you can't even see the daily thread conversations anymore. It really deters people from wanting to participate from the forum.

I brought it up to a mod earlier, but I'm going to suggest it so others can see and hopefully agree with me. I think the Freedom! staff should add a ReCaptcha just to prevent a slew of spam on the forums, even if a little bit.

Danny recently changed the ReCaptcha to a different one which has been having some success. A lot of the time these "bot accounts" are actual people that get paid a certain amount to bring views to a specific site. Most of the IP locations are from 3rd world locations where people will do anything to earn a few cents. Also people can be paid to solve Captcha links which is another way they get through.

Also it could be to do with new spammer companies getting set up that are generating new IPs that the spam filter doesn't yet know about. Maybe it will improved after a while but if not I'm sure we can look into something. @41Danny1 might know a little more about this than me

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
Danny recently changed the ReCaptcha to a different one which has been having some success. A lot of the time these "bot accounts" are actual people that get paid a certain amount to bring views to a specific site. Most of the IP locations are from 3rd world locations where people will do anything to earn a few cents. Also people can be paid to solve Captcha links which is another way they get through.

Also it could be to do with new spammer companies getting set up that are generating new IPs that the spam filter doesn't yet know about. Maybe it will improved after a while but if not I'm sure we can look into something. @41Danny1 might know a little more about this than me
Cool! Hopefully it all works out. It's a shame that Freedom forums is targeted so heavily too. Perhaps if ReCaptcha doesn't work, then put a longer time limit on how often someone can create a thread? It might suck a bit more for active users, but I think it might be worth it if it can prevent 4 pages of spam in a matter of minutes.